Asian Cinema Season

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Asian Cinema Season

Post by Chewi » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Film4 are doing an Asian Cinema Season right now.

Last night, we tried to watch Ashes of Time Redux but it was so hard to follow that we quit watching it half-way through. I vaguely got the overall concept but the actual story was making no sense to me at all. If I watched it again, I could probably follow it better but it wasn't worth it.

Tonight, we saw Kamikaze Girls: The End. This was the most refreshing film I've seen in a long time. It's really funny and undeniably cute - maybe a little too cute for some of you but I loved it. Cute Japanese lolita meets bad ass biker chick.

Tomorrow are the two Death Note films. Not seen the anime myself. Looking forward to that.
Trigo
Solider

Re: Asian Cinema Season

Post by Trigo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:09 pm

watched half of the kamikaze girl one and half of the death note film as i forgot it was on but couldn't stay up to watch the second one.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:49 pm

That's why MythTV is awesome. :D Haven't watched them yet but have them recorded.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Chewi wrote:That's why MythTV is awesome. :D Haven't watched them yet but have them recorded.
Also any other media center tools, Sky+, Virgin+ and alot of Freesat/Digital Boxes with recording units. Most units these days can record crap of the tv lol. But really why bother ... the internet is full of goodness with no adverts in between the movie lol
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:39 pm

It was a while ago but the two Death Note films were really excellent. Better than I'd expected. If you see them, watch them back to back because it's basically just one big long film.

Just saw "I'm a Cyborg But That's Okay" which is a Korean film. It just about earns a place in my list of weird films. This one has an excuse for being weird in that it's mostly seen from the perspective of a mental patient who believes she's a cyborg that has to rescue her Granny from the men in white. It's actually as cute and funny as it is weird. I recommend it.