The X Files: I Want to Believe

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Squirrel
Vagabond

The X Files: I Want to Believe

Post by Squirrel » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Will write a little review tomorrow, but I just want to know if anyone else has seen this first?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: The X Files: I Want to Believe

Post by Chewi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:10 am

I tried to watch the series on a casual basis but it doesn't really work. I never bothered with the films.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:23 am

I missed out a while in the series, Mulder was gone and I was gutted, by the time I saw it again. Went off it after that.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:37 am

I only caught bits of the series.
but I thought Scully was a dumb ass.

it typically went like this...

1. Mulder throws some wild sounding theory about some crazy shit out there.
2. Scully says its retarded, and refuses to give it any weight.
3. crazy shit happens.

new episode...

1. Mulder throws some wild sounding theory about some crazy shit out there.
2. Scully says its retarded, and refuses to give it any weight.
3. crazy shit happens.

ok....
by episode 3...shouldn't Scully be a little more open to the idea that, ya know.... crazy shit happens?

but she never is.

I cant say i liked the shows format.
but I did enjoy the 'crazy shit happening'' bits. it was a good "what if" or "concept" show, and in that vein it was pretty awesome from what I seen of it.
killer theme music. and Mulder was great for adding a sort of film noir feel to it. but wtf was with Scully being the constant buzz kill?

theirs skeptic....and then theirs stupid.
she was just stupid.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 am

I don't think she's stupid. More ignorant really. I mean I do feel for her. Can't be easy listening to a stubborn arsehole who nearly always gets himself killed.

I felt like doing abit of a review for this movie. But this film doesn't even relate to what the original series is about. Part of me wasted my time watching it so why do a review? Heh. Anyway, it does have it's moments and Gillan Anderson's and David Duchovny's acting was what really made it, plus the awesome soundtrack is nearly as good as Songs in the Key of X (my much loved album). But these don't outway the bad points. There's no UFOs, aliens, conspiracy theory nor mystery. Skinner's appearance was short and pointless. There is no X-file case, but a normal crime, only involving a psychic ex-priest to find the victim; what is hardly a believable reason to "bring back" Mulder to an FBI case. The story is just bad! 3/10 (and that's a very genourous score).
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:01 pm

The X Files: I want to AFK and die

Two movies where sooooo late, I mean this one is 10 years late. It they'd done it 1999 it might have actually turned a profit.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:12 am

Seen this as well, Mik? If they'd have done this in 1999 it would kinda make sense. I mean the story plot is six years after the last X-Files episode.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:42 pm

I watched the first 5 minutes but I honestly couldn't be arsed with it, maybe one day I'll sit down and watch it, hopefully it's better than the last movie with the fucking bees.

Expecting this to be a blockbuster (think they dropped +30mil on production) is fucking daft, it's 10 years, those frothing fanbois that would have filled theaters back in the day, have moved on, clearly.

Moving the story on further along in time is fine, I mean the end of the series was kinda okay but if people loved the stories of the two characters they are going to naturally want to know more about what happened with the 'rest' of their lives as neither character was killed by then end of it. Well done, good show you managed to get them to care about your characters, pat on the back to you.

But I think they disenfranchised 90% of there base with the last bullshit of a movie, it was just an extented espisode, a pretty bad one too, with no real fucking point. Bring closure, bring change, bring actual character development, hell bring interesting story or fuck off already.

The movie doesn't even bother me that much, it's just everyone acted all shocked when it bombed like a motherfucker, I seen it coming a mile off.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:58 am

I actually saw it when it was in the cinema...and liked it. Tosh is a fairly hardcore fan of X-files....X-files gave me really fucked up dreams so i didn't watch it. Only know bits and pieces.

I agree it just feels like a extended episode, but i thought that there was some character developement...or at least i understood Scully more. Mulder i feel hadn't changed from what i knew of him. All this said....you can't pull too much of the history of a series into the film...because your going to alienate new viewers. I think they achieved this because I wasn't too in the dark about alot of stuff...except maybe the dead son?

His exposure in Californication would of brought up a lot of nostalgia...everyone was like...he's the guy from x-files.

I thought it was wierd seeing billy Connely in a dramatic role....i've only seen him do comedy and ING ads.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am

Billy Connelly has actually been in other, serious dramas. He's a good actor in my pov.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 am

I watched the movie and it was alright. I mean i do like the xfiles, even tho till this day it gaves me a mix of dreams ... nightmares for the scary stuff and good ones for Gillian Anderson lol. Just currently watchin the series again and thought i should watch the new movie.

I always thought the movies just longer eps and even till this day Scully finds it hard to believe certain stuff. Tho i think in the end it was the story line just didnt pull me. There wasnt much spooky about it .... ok new age fankenstin ... its the 21th centery .... its happening lol and will a dude with visions .. I think me being the director i could cut that bit down to what? an hour or 30mins lol i cant mind the running ... no ads to remind me on a dvd lol. Either way more of a ep storyline. Cause the only one who let them selfs out was scully.

Good old billy did alright tho. He is pretty mad lookin anyways
Reaping-Sorrow
Scavenger

Post by Reaping-Sorrow » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:49 pm

watched it right to the end. pissed me off so damned much how they made the rapist priest a saintly figure. can deffinatly agree with that kaos guy how it's just the same old format repeated over and over. they want someone they portray to be an intelligent female character to make the viewers have doubt that what they're expecting may not happen so when it finally does its oh so terribly surprising. atleast it would be if it wasn't something we see being used in a crap load of movies and shows everywhere for many years now. using tried and true and certainly outdated techniques seems to only really work with people who're young and dont have the experience to analyze such annoying things in search of money and dont care too much of the final product. just as long as enough references and buzz words are thrown in. pretty sure no one would be reading this chunk of words this chunk of words to the end so finish it by saying it's just typical hollywood bollocks