Underworld

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Underworld

Post by Chewi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm

So I saw Underword: Evolution last night. It was okay but a pretty poor offering compared to the other two. It left a few questions.

Like where the fuck were they? They go to some safe house that appears to be in Russia or something but you later hear one of Corvinus' men speaking French. I didn't notice what language the others were speaking. And wherever the fuck they were, it just happened to be round the corner from that Tannis guy and where Corvinus was hanging out. Convenient.

The pendant also doesn't make sense. In the first one, I assumed Lucien still had it from the end of the third one. So how did it get used as a key to lock William away? Maybe he lost it and somehow got it back again? Possible but it feels more like an oversight. And at what point did it become a key? Was it always a key that they just hadn't decided a use for yet? Did they turn it into a key later on? All of this just seems stupid.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Re: Underworld

Post by Squirrel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 pm

For many, many reasons, the second is a piss poor attempt of what later happens. I ain't getting into it, but basically, I just think Underworld is overhyped bullshit. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is Kate Beckinsale in her clique vampire goth gear.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:02 am

I really liked 1.
I've heard nothing be bad things about 2...so I dont think im even going to bother.
but I'm interested in 3.

With 3 being the prequel.
is 2 even needed?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:13 am

No, 2 smells.

It basically invalidates the point of the entire first movie in about 15 minutes. In a very very very technical sense teh werewolves win, so that's a plus.

3, is quite good.

1, was set in a generic Eastern European cityscape, a sort of Comic-esque Gotham style city.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:33 pm

you know..
I'd always thought it was generic America, and that everyone's accents had just carried over from their character backgrounds.
America is pretty new in terms of vamp/wolf lifetimes.

but then I guess all of them moving to the states doesn't make any sense either.

maybe it was crafted to be generic 'anywhere' so that any viewer could relate.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:29 pm

It didn't really matter. It's just that they had these guys. I dunno what they were, military or police or something. They clearly didn't speak English, despite the fact that the humans in the first one did. They appeared to be Russian or something and I assumed they were until I heard that French guy. Celine and Michael were supposed to be returning to the mansion so they shouldn't have gone that far and yet it seemed like a different country.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:05 pm

To be honest they fucked it. At the end of the 2nd film Ed was left waiting for an outcome (me on the other hand thought the 2nd one was boring half way through I fell asleep). Now they thrown in a prequel, we won't bother watching it. I mean they're still on the run from the 2nd movie. Plus, we also now what happened regarding the fall-out with the Lycans and the Vampires. That tells you in the first movie. I actually thought this was being written as a trilogy, but no, they had to fuck things up. Contragulations Hollywood, you really are a bunch of morons. They seem to have a habit now of making bullshit vampire/lycan movies (eg Twilight) for Miley Cyrus and co.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Actually the prequel is really good. It's every bit as good as the first one. If you only consider the first and the last film, things do make sense.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Her name is spellt Selene, not Celine :P

Maybe out of sheer curiosity I will go and see this (most likely wait for it to come out on dvd). Maybe the prequel will explain more stuff. Maybe it's me, but the whole story seems very mismatched. But meh, I may give it a go.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:05 pm

I actually really want to watch the new one....i'm just more than a little cut that it wasn't in cinema for very long.

I didn't mind U2...thought it was a little meh meh. But i can live with that because it's just a action movie. I definately think Underworld 2 is better than Helsing. That's a fucking WTF movie. Makes less sense or purpose than League of extrodinary gentlemen.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:47 am

What?! Story wise Hellsing is much better than Underworld 2. It maybe a wtf movie to some but it makes more sense to me in terms of what happens next, and the end leaves it wide open for a possible movie. Wish they did make a movie of Hellsing, only it would have to be better than Underworld for me to watch it. In terms of action, I thought the fight scenes were alot better in the first Underworld movie.