Anime Central

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:59 pm

I finally got satellite TV working on my computer, through the awesome MythTV. It was delayed for a couple of months due to a bug in the driver but that's now been fixed. While I was setting it up, I noticed a new channel which launched on Sky just a week ago. Anime Central! I watched Full Metal Alchemist for the first time tonight. They're even showing GITS: SAC every night at 10:30pm. The channel only broadcasts from 9pm to 6am but that's not a problem for me because MythTV gives me Sky+ powers. Did I mention that I get this for free? :P All I had to buy was the card for my PC.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Is Anime Central just bound to Sky? Or do you know if they run it on Virgin Media TV? This'll be great for Ed and I, espeically if they show hentai late at night lol. But finally! A channel where us Brits won't be left behind in the world of anime. *kisses her Hellsing dvds*
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:17 pm

I think it's Sky only, I'm afraid. I use Virgin for my net but I hear the TV service is hellishly unreliable. Luckily there was a satellite dish waiting for me when I moved into this flat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AnimeCentral
Last edited by Chewi on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:34 pm

Yeah it's worse than NTL. You have to reboot ya top box everyday pratically. And the TV guide doesn't update itself properly. Ed originally wanted to go with Sky, but it means we'd have to have a BT phone line, which we don't have, which costs £125 to put in. So we went with Vigin instead. 3 for £30, plus a few extras in the works too.

EDIT:After reading that artical on Wiki though, I think Chart Show Channels must be offereing this Virgin soon, coz Virgin already have all the Chart Show Channels anyway. These channels take longer to broadcast on cable rather than satellite, obviously. But I hate Virgin TV! They took away my Brainiac from me! :angry:
Last edited by Squirrel on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:47 pm

I wonder if it's just the service or the box that's dodgy. Probably the service. If you go with Sky's freesat option then you only have to make a one-off payment for the equipment and you don't have to connect it to a BT phone line. I'm basically using freesat myself but I'm not even using their equipment, just a card in my PC and the dish that was already here. The only difference for me is that I can't watch certain channels like 4 and 5 because you need a Sky box with a viewing card to watch those. 4 and 5 in particular will be switching to free-to-air next year though and I'll be able to watch them then. But yeah, maybe you should check freesat out.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:23 am

Virgin didn't take away anything Sky decided to charge them like 3 times more than the last contract was (when they where NTL) so they told them to fuck off, they made a few offers but nothing panned out. Virgin media 1 is on the way, retardly I think Sky are offering it too.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:11 am

I can't get Sky One either because that's one of the channels that needs a digibox and viewing card. I only had the regular 5 before though so I'm not missing it.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:36 pm

I download all my TV tbh.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Mik, they've just started showing Wolf's Rain. I'm betting you've seen it already but if you haven't...

They've also started showing .hack // Sign tonight. Doesn't seem as good as I expected but I'll give it a couple more episodes. Cowboy Bebop starts on Tuesday. Will definitely be watching that.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:59 am

.hack is so slow. Its does get a lil better but thats it. So dont get ur hopes up. But cowboy bebop is amazing. And wolfs rain is good i enjoyed it. I didnt even know about it till early this year, quite glad that i got it.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 am

Is it dubbed ? I've seen it subbed.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am

Dubbed. Though it seems like a good dub. .hack // Sign is the only subbed thing they've shown so far.
Last edited by Chewi on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:48 pm

.hack subbed?! XD lol thats so werid
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:59 pm

I just assumed it wasn't ever dubbed. Then I thought maybe you were getting confused with a different .hack series. I looked it up on Wikipedia. First it says "The AnimeCentral broadcast is in Japanese with subtitles, rather than the English dubbed version" but it doesn't say why. Then it says "While the English language reception to .hack//Sign has been generally positive, it has received negative criticism from some sources as a result of the slow pacing and character-driven storyline." I guess that's why AnimeCentral went with the subbed version. I'm not sure how the dub managed to have that effect on it though.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:52 pm

I have media centre. I can record programs for free. You hype MythTV far too much :/

However, waht would I need? A TV card, and?