Ghost in the Shell

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:44 am

I'm currently watching GITS: SAC, and I'm downloading the movie, Solid State Society. I know that the Second Gig is already out, but I'm wondering when the movie takes place. Should I watch it after I finish SAC, or should I download and watch the Second Gig first?

The series isn't that bad, but there really hasn't been that many mindblowing animes lately. Am I missing something or do they just suck these days from the market being oversaturated?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:55 am

Solid State Society comes after 2nd GIG so hold off on that one. And for the record, 2nd GIG is the fucking shit. I was gonna say mindblowing but you said it first. :P
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:14 am

I watched the first 'season' of TV series version wasn't all that impressed tbh, very pseudo-clever in the same vain as Neon-gensis, in that, if they spew enough shit it makes them seem really deep.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:39 am

Try the second one, it's deeper in the right way. Much better character development.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:47 pm

I had them all but lost interest, I'd have a look see if I still have them.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:16 am

I'm watching an episode or two a day while I'm at school these days. Watch them in between classes or while I'm eating lunch. I'm up to Episode 14, and Mik is right . .. a handful of episodes have been good so far, but it is promising. I'll probably download the second gig next weekend. THanks for the info.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 am

I couldn't work out where the movie went into place either. But at least it's more straightforeward than Gantz was.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:18 am

They don't, even the two movies which are kind of in the same continuty don't really mesh well, the series are set in and Alternative Universe, which I abhor.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:59 am

It's because the original movie wasn't very true to the manga due to time contraints in making the thing and also due to the fact that they were trying to cram what was essentially an entire series into a single movie. I'm not sure what the motivation behind the second movie was though. It was good but the SAC universe is much better.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 am

I just finished the SEcond Gig! It was great. I haven't seen too many decent anime these days, so it was a welcome suprise. I'm going to watch Solid State Society next, and then should I watch Ghost in the Shell? That comes after all of these, right?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:29 am

Hehe. Told you. :P

You haven't seen the original? Damn man, I saw that way before any of the others. As Mik said, it's basically an alternate universe so it doesn't fit into the timeline of the others. Together with GITS 2: Innocence, they are the only two things from that universe. As I said in my previous post, SAC is closer to the manga.

Solid State Society is alright but it feels like just another episode really. The interesting thing about it is that it has a very similar plot to the original movie. They didn't just do a SAC version of it though, the two movies are more different than they are the same. Both movies suffer from trying to make a long story short. In the manga, the Puppet Master / Puppeteer story was a full blown series like the Laughing Man.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:53 am

I thought the first movie was pretty awesome, I was less impressed with the spin offish material that followed.

I think the second movie suffered from WTF? syndrome, where they try to make it cool and keeping you offbalance but really your just kinda confused, they make some really strange logic leaps during the film. It's been a while but I really don't even remember the Puppet guys motivation.

The series was okay, I should have prolly gave it more of a chance but Guvyer: Bio Boosted Armour was getting dubbed by a better group at the time so I had a glut of it to watch and I forgot all about it.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:33 pm

I'm probably going to end up watching them all consecutivly soon.
its come up lots in meetings.

I liked most of season1 but sometimes i wished the major would shut the fuck up.

only seen one ep of 2ndgig
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:32 am

I saw the original GITS 7 years ago. I've seen it before. Never said I didn't :D
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: Ghost in the Shell

Post by Chewi » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:24 pm

We were in Edinburgh this week and passed by Forbidden Planet. I'd never read a manga before but I'd been toying with the idea so I decided to start on familiar ground by picking up GITS 2: Man/Machine Interface. Big mistake. It looks kinda cool but that's all it has going for it and, to be honest, that isn't why I bought it. The story is impossible to follow. I know some people say that about the anime but this takes it to a whole new level. Even if you are able to follow it, it's boring as fuck. Most of the events take place in cyberspace and most of the dialogue is techno-babble that no one understands. I read some reviews on Amazon and most people said as much. One of the guys who translated it gave some tips on how to get your head around it. I don't see how they help and if you need tips just to understand a book then it's already failed. I'm half-way through now and debating whether to continue. I may just sell it on eBay but one guy said he did that and hardly got anything for it. Gah.

This may have put me off manga. I'm not sure what else I'd read. I don't want to read manga of stuff I've already seen the anime for. What I am still interested in though is some of the GITS novels, particularly the one with Batou as the main character.