What's a good anime worth purchasing?

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
April
Enforcer

Post by April » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:27 am

I've still never been to youtube. Or any of those sorta sites. I just never have that many hours to spend online like that.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:06 pm

i just go on ebay u can get the anime sets for £10 to £50, half the time the ones that are the most are massive, but like Wolf Rain and stuff its £20 or sometimes less for the whole set.

I watch Initial D, Wolf Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Get Backers, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Please Twins/Teacher, hmm theres a good few more but its usually most of the main stream stuff i havent seen the nurto crap, doesnt look all that great but i could be wrong. But am either downloading or buying anime every week
PWX
Scavenger

Post by PWX » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:54 pm

It's funny how many people openly admit they just download it. It's true there's a low risk involved, but a risk is still a risk. I'd also be careful as smaller ISPs tend can be a little paranoid and if they see your constantly downloading 200 mb files, they might suspect something is up

Anime has been getting better. Some of the older series have started being sold in cheap 60.00 sets. (not bootlegs) Still expensive if you compare them to American DVDs, but from what I've been told it takes a fair bit of money just to license a series.

The worst thing about buying anime is we don't really have much of an outlet for sampling new things. Sure 100.00 might be expensive, but I'd pay it if I knew I like the series. We need things like the anime channel to become more mainstream (be on every major cable and sattelite providers)
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:24 am

PWX wrote:It's funny how many people openly admit they just download it. It's true there's a low risk involved, but a risk is still a risk. I'd also be careful as smaller ISPs tend can be a little paranoid and if they see your constantly downloading 200 mb files, they might suspect something is up
I'll admit I have borrowed some of the stuff my friends have downloaded but the only downloads I do myself are from Anime Empire and they claim that the industry are cool with them because they only subtitle stuff that isn't available in English and if/when it does become available in English, they stop distributing it. It does create new markets because they've stopped doing Karin now and the only way I will see the rest of it is if I buy it. I do intend to when the episodes I haven't seen start coming out. I do hope they bring the price down a bit though.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 am

I admit it cause i been doing it for years, pretty honest when it comes to it. I must download a few gigs a day. The thing is i do buy what i watch, thats if i like it. I mean i download the movies and then most of the time i do buy them.

Same with anime but it just takes more time to get the money lol
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:47 am

The Non-license fan subbing is only pseudo-Legal, in that they can't really be bothered hunting those guys. They've still ripped it and put it on the net.

In my experience I prefer fan subs, they are usually of higher quality than alot of the commerical stuff, dubs tend to be doctored to hell and back. Fan subs often include notes explaining certain phrases and referances.
April
Enforcer

Post by April » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:49 am

PWX wrote:It's funny how many people openly admit they just download it. It's true there's a low risk involved, but a risk is still a risk. I'd also be careful as smaller ISPs tend can be a little paranoid and if they see your constantly downloading 200 mb files, they might suspect something is up

Anime has been getting better. Some of the older series have started being sold in cheap 60.00 sets. (not bootlegs) Still expensive if you compare them to American DVDs, but from what I've been told it takes a fair bit of money just to license a series.

The worst thing about buying anime is we don't really have much of an outlet for sampling new things. Sure 100.00 might be expensive, but I'd pay it if I knew I like the series. We need things like the anime channel to become more mainstream (be on every major cable and sattelite providers)
Oh my god! I haven't seen you in forever Adam!
PWX
Scavenger

Post by PWX » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:40 pm

Yeah I know. What's it been? At least a year or maybe 2? I forget the last time I talked to you. I think you sent me a letter one time when I was going to school. We should catch up sometime.

Fansubs are definitely more professional, I can agree with that. Hell just look at the kaoroke openings they do. Licensers just stick up some boring font, that while easily readable, shows a lack of interest.

Dubs are getting better though. Plus one thing I learned from recently going to an anime convention is, Japan actually relies on a lot of our money over in the US to produce NEW anime. If we just stick to this "Oh I'm going to save money and get the free fansubs" you'll find that after a while less and less anime is made.

So even though you might not like the licensers version of the anime. You want to at least put money into the system SOMEWHERE to support the anime industry as a whole. You may not like the dubbing job that x liscenser did (and you should complain and criticize the producers of that liscenser) but you're are still supporting the people who made the anime and wrote the story and what not to make MORE anime for you to enjoy
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:39 pm

I like Comand and Conquer but I don't buy it cause I would support EA.
Narren7
Solider

Post by Narren7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 am

Anyone else watch Tokko, Gantz, or Elfen Lied?
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:09 pm

Crystal, I'm watching Gantz atm.

Pink titty girl needs to die. Hardcore! But it's a really interesting series so far.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:58 pm

I watched the opening 15 minutes of elfen lied and was impressed but I never watched the rest, that was one hideously awesome killing spree.
Narren7
Solider

Post by Narren7 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:38 am

Ah that one only gets better and more fucked up as it goes along Mik.

Gantz is gorey in places too and shows sex lmao
I don't like boob brains either Les. To damn whiney -_-