It's a Beautiful Day

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 am

After Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox backed out of co-financing the Halo movie, it was reported that prep work would continue at Jackson's Weta studios in New Zealand. But now, Jackson and Microsoft's WingNut Films has released the following statement saying that production has halted:

As was previously confirmed, we deeply regret that both Universal and Fox did not choose to move forward with financing the Halo film under the original terms of the agreement. At this time Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, along with their partner, Microsoft, have mutually agreed to postpone making a feature film based on the Halo video game universe until we can fulfill the promise we made to millions of Halo fans throughout the world that we would settle for no less than bringing a first class film to the big screen. We are fully supportive of Director Neill Blomkamp's vision of the film. Neill is a tremendously gifted filmmaker and his preliminary work on Halo is truly awe-inspiring. While it will undoubtedly take a little longer for Halo to reach the big screen, we are confident that the final feature film will be well worth the wait.

Hopefully, no-one will fund this farce of a film.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:09 pm

hehehe

I dunno why they dont just do whats starring them in the face

Full CG film
they wouldnt need anybody at all for that.

I'm not missing it

but I was looking forward to having somthing out there that was a war in space that wasnt fucking star wars.

whats the chances of mechwarrior picking up?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:18 pm

Wizkids is the current owner of the IP and they went through a rough patch there, I believe they got bough over but another company.

Their attempt at reaching out to a younger crowd (most old school table top Battletech players have to be in their 40's by now) was met with something of a success but I just don't know if the movie would appeal to a wider audience. I would need a large budget and be handled with care and attention given the 700 years of back story and cannon.

The is soo much data to push through in order for people to understand the world, to make a workable movie on a Clan invasion era story (my personal preference)
. I would like to ideally spent around 15-20minutes doing a history of the Universe segment and even that would be fairly brief considering you've just brushed through around 1000 years of into, from 2009 to 3025.

Also given the fact the Wizkids tried to kill off Battletech by moving the Mechwarrior line to the Dark Age (60 year jump) we are now in dealing with around 3130 so you've got another 100 years of extreme conflict to take into account to get the viewer tooled up and in the know about Mechwarrior.

The Golden Age
Formation of the Star League
Amris kills the Star lord
The Fracture of the Terran Hemogony
The Exodus of the Star League
The Successor Wars I, II and III (could be capped as total chaos and one mass combat spanning 200 years, it usually is)
The Clan Invasion
(The Battle of Tukayyid)
(The Grand Refusal)
The FedCom Civil War
The Word of Blake Jihad
Formation of the Second Terran Hemogony, the Republic of the Sphere.
The collapse of the HPG (hyper pulse generator) Network

'present' day.

to handle it well the guy would need to research a fuck ton, and the guy signed up to direct it hasn't done much and the last word on the project was 3 years ago.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:13 pm

I agree... full CG movie.. but then would it be popular anywhere BUT america? Would it generate enough revenue to warrent the film... or would it be like FF7:Advent children and people just torrent it as soon as it went out? True alot of us have brought it... but alot of us pirated it first because... well RELEASE DATES SUCK.

To me it makes sense to have some downloadable movie using Xbox live or something and leaving it at that....