New Crap Vs. The Good Old Stuff

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:04 am

The old fogey's like myself always like to relive our pasts. That's why I believe that most of the new stuff that comes out these days are weaker, less entertaining versions or takes on old series.

For starters, Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. CB is 8 years old now, and SC is 2004/2005 I believe. However, I feel that CB is the better of the two. They have a similar feel to them, and even the animation has it's similarity. Even though you're comparing Sci Fi to a Stylized Samurai Drama, it just seems to me like CB was executed better.

I was also wondering what could be classified as the "next" DBZ. And all I can think of is Naruto. Naruto was very interesting and had less of the problem with dragging things on (though the latest episodes are pretty lame) that DBZ did. While fluidity is better, I feel that DBZ was slightly more exciting from a kids perspective. Naruto doesn't seem to have the OOMPH that DBZ had when I was first watching it.

And the other anime series I've been thinking about is Gundam. I think 08th MS team and Stardust Memories are far superior series than Gundam Wing, SEED, or any of the other alternate universes. The design and animation feels far superior and less regurgitated than it's successors. I've yet to see Zeta Gundam or the other new series, but I just think that most new stuff is lost on us oldies.

Sometimes I feel that our golden age was in the 90's, and that now we're made to suffer through all the trite crap they throw at us until another renassaince occurs. What's everybody's thoughts on this? IS the new stuff much better than the old stuff?
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:40 am

i belive CB and SC were done by the same person, either written or directed, i can't recall. Possibly both.

DBZ was gay, always was, always will be.

i've generally thought the 90's were gold. They had the best games, the best anime, and the best music.

what's your take on Full Metal Alchemest? i have yet to watch it, but i'm downloading a few eps on reccomendation from a friend.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:57 am

80s was best music...

and I personally think the concept of FMA is retarded... but that's not my reason for refusing to watch it...

my reason for refusing to watch it is far less practical
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 am

I've only watched a few episodes of FMA, it seems okay. Sorta like your generic weird anime of sorts . . . right now I'm actually watching CB, Trigun and Gundam Wing again. CB and Trigun are still as good as I remembered, but GW is crap, especially compared to the old stuff. I'm glad I downloaded this stuff instead of buying them. Would havebeen a waste of money for most of the stuff. And I'm also watching YuYu Hakusho again (cause I never saw past the Dark Tournament Saga).

And as far as Samurai stuff goes, I liked Rorouni Kenshin more than I liked Samurai Champloo.

And would you guys say that RaExephon (or however you spell it) is a rip off of Evangelion? I've heard by some people that it is . . .
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:04 am

Macross Zero is the most beautiful animated squence I've ever seen, it owns!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:03 am

I foolishly entered this topic expecting to see:
Thunder Cats
Gi JOE
Transformers
Brave Star
Black Star.
Batman TAS
Spiderman
Xmen
the Tick

you know....the good shit.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:28 pm

Old GI Joe is better than the new shit, Old Transformers is better than this galaxy crap (though Beast wars was tight)

and the Old Xmen pwned!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:13 pm

yea. evolution is depressing compared to it.

anyway...
beebop and champloo are out of the same house. so theyre similar. but I think champloo has a certain extra quality to it that beebop didnt.

call me crazy...but I think its actually better.
I think thats its more to do with the maturity of the develop tho.
had champloo been the first project and beebop the next i think the "oompfh"would be on beebop

naruto....crap...but yes better than dbz...steamy crap

ive seen a little of alchemist.
I'm not well versed in anime at all. but i think its pretty original....for anime. when ever i watch it however i always get the feeling that theirs a religous tie hidden somwhere within(however it doesnt seem overly pushy). if it didnt have that...I probably wouldnt have stuck around for the few more episodes that i did see
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:11 pm

i think you sold me with the religious tie as well.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:59 am

my friend andrew and i were having an argument about rurouni kenshin the other day, he was complaining there was too much filler at the begining. but its pretty old right? well anyways he was saying that samurai champloo was everything and a bag of chips what rurouni kenshin should have been. call me a bit old fashioned, but thats my favourite anime, so i dont really prefer either old or new but i respect old stuff that builds other things that are new, but yet i like new and old stuff, as long as it doesnt keep a steady pace.

im reading lots of manga now adays, i was reading one piece, don't kill me, i liked it, finished it, now i'm reading bleach, it reminds me of rurouni kenshin because of that general build from random stuff, to development and awsome things, i am also reading ranma 1/2, i prefered reading it over watching it, found myself laughing more, oh and i'm also reading fruits basket, so like i said, i hate steady pace shit, as long as there is a maturity in it from weak to strong or strong to stronger, than i shall read or watch. but if its as steady as inuyasha was, i think i will toss my cookies at it whatever it may be.

ps fma is awsome, i also read that, storyline wasnt too bad once you get into it, but at the begining a little bit farfetched. i like the ideas of alchemy but bringing back the dead seems stupid.
Last edited by Drabe,ThePirateking on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.