OMFG NARNIA MOVIE !!!!!!

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:09 am

it's offical it may have started slow but I rename this year

THE YEAR OF FUCKING OWNAGE, BIATCHES!!!!!!!!

They are making a movie of the C.S Lewis book 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardobe' needless to say I'm fucking excited. I've long been a massive fan of the epic stories that are the Chronicles of Narnia.

It is the first book I ever read, before I had the capicity to read it, I used to torture my mom and dad to read it too me and when one book was finished I wanted to hear it again.

It's such a deep and rich work, full of awesome characters, it is often compared to J RR tolkien's LOTR series but I think it owns it in the face, there is such betrayal in the first book and learning the world at the same. There are tonnes of great moments and when Aslan roared I think all the hairs on the back of my neck where on end.

I cannot fucking wait .. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Last edited by Mik on Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:06 pm

damn, i heard about that ages ago

i dunno if you knew this, but Tolkien and Lewis were contempories of eachother. Lewis actually wrote the "space trilogy" at the same time Tolkien wrote his Lord of the Rings books. Also, both were christians and it was Tolkien that supposedly converted Lewis, who went on to write several texts that are still used in religious circles today. If you look in the dedication for one such book (The Great Divorce i believe, or possibly The Screwtape Letters) you'll see that Lewis actually dedicated it to Tolkien.

An intersting thing is that the Cronicles are allegorical in nature. There's many intentional similarities with that and Biblical history. Aslan is a type of 'Christ' and when you compare the stories that way, it's really not hard at all to see the common ground they share. One of the titles given to the messiah in aincent hebrew texts was 'the lion of judah,' which is why lewis chose the lion.

Ironicly Tolkien was agressively opposed to the idea of using alegory in his works, but lots of people still say the LOTR series is allegorical. I suppose though, when you're as into your religion as these two were, it's almost a given it will work it's way into your writing somehow.

Anyway, have you read the entire series? i actually want to dig them up again now and start from the beginning. Most of the stories i remember, and i've seen the Wonder Works productions of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, and the voyage of the Dawn Treader, as well as The Silver Chair, but there's so many other books i would LOVE to see on flim, like The Magican's nephew and The Last Battle.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:01 pm

Last battle would own as a film, The BBC series was fukcing excellent the psuedo-nordic voyage of the dawntreader episodes shaped me for years to come
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:49 am

I concur the dawntreader was awesome

But just to shake things up and see if Mik's disowns me.

I've never read a C.S Lewis book.

which is funny because my sister has...and now a days all she reads is Dr. Phil
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:13 am

didnt know narnia went beyond this old cartoon i saw.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:54 am

READ THE BOOKS!!!!!!

Go do it now, right now.

WHY are you still here ... start reading !!!!

7 books in total, one of them was a prequel kinda thing and I hated those even when I was 8
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:46 pm

prequel? which one was that?
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:22 pm

Hooray! I'll be watching Blue Peter for updates on this.
runawaygurl
Not-A-Deserter

Post by runawaygurl » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:43 pm

yeah uhh mik, I'm with goat on this, but i've know forever too. And from what I read and have been told, it's going to fucking suck compared to the books. Just like the LOTR movies fucking sucked compared to the books. But I'm partial to how tolkien ACTUALLY wrote the booked... rather than the script re-writes.

Wow goat *applauds* nice lit history. I only know that because a friend of mine is a lit major and he and his brother are obsessed with tolkien and lewis.
Last edited by runawaygurl on Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:02 pm

he used to live round the corner from where I do now all be it about 70 years ago

lies, it's gonna own... i refuse to believe it'll suck
Last edited by Mik on Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:27 pm

I tried reading The Silver Chair once but I was too young really. Cool though. :)
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:12 am

silver chair is a LOUSY one to start with

if you're gonna read it for the first time, do it in written order, but if you're re-reading it, i'd do it in chronological order.

and yeah, Lewis and Tolkien are slight obsessions of mine.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:38 am

See I love Lewis' work (your never too young for a good fantasy tale) but I can't read tolkien it has too much old use english, I could handle it when I read lewis because at that stage I was young but by the time I read tolkien about a year ago I'd already seen the movies and found it hard to get into.
runawaygurl
Not-A-Deserter

Post by runawaygurl » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:17 pm

Really? You don't like tolkiens writing?? I love the way he writes... I've read the hobbit about six times now, and the triology twice... I've read certain parts over and over again. Lewis is good too, the Narnia books were my favorites in Jr. High.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:21 pm

as far as Lewis goes, the Chronicles of Narnia were definatly his strongest writing

fiction and philosophy on the other hand, well, that's up to the reader i guess

The Space Trilogy was weak i thought, and no where near as fun to read as Narnia. I should give it another shot now that i'm older though, there's TONS of symbolisim and allegory that i'm sure to find interesting.

I think the main thing i like about Lewis is he reminds me a lot of myself, only with MUCH more writing talent. Our philosphies and religous beliefs are remarkably similar.

ANYWAY, yeah, i'll let you know how that goes, i gotta find that set and give it a read. It's in the basement somewhere...