Jin Roh - the Wolfsbrigade

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:47 pm

This Anime rocked,

Although it kind a reminded me of the Battletech™ book 'Wolves on the Border' not just because of the title but because the potentail for some serious AWESOME destruction and some badass fights that is so complelety ignored. And what we get is a watered down action piece with uber amounts of poltics and suberfuge by the two opposing sides.

And I liked 'Wolves on the border' and I liked this film, they could have went for the action and i would still would have loved it, shit it might have went about Guyver of my list of top shows. But I think I prefer this and the dark side of human nature that this showed, in the detail, the plot twists, the hidden things and the things that people do and say that have second or even third meanings.

'Hold on, did you say you liked it more ? why doesn't that mean it's rated above guvyer'

Yes, I did and my reasons are two fold.

This movie caused me to think, I had to concentrate on the word plays and plot detail which I like to do. But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make that much of a story, while the chracter are subdued and well thought out. Like most mordern Anime it seems to drag out the moment for no apparent reason, perhaps it just the years of watching purely american filmography I kept expecting there to be something profond in the gap and really it's nothing more than tension building. This is a great film by all means but it doesn't grab me by the balls and say 'HEY! Look at this shit, we're going to ram into your eye sockets' sure it was nice to engage the mind watching a show for once but engage both the mind and feeding the bloodlust would have been turb0.

It's was too damn slow, then again speding it up would have lost some the artistry of what they had tried to create and I understand fully why it was done this way and damn it, I liked what they did. It lacked that Epic feeling of bigger animes it was like a hour of fucking around and then BAM there you ... hows that?. It was also very localized and while if affected a poltical arena that was vast and complex, you only got to know two characters and I can only remember one of their names.

That's the bad points of the way, the art was really nice and clean, I've seen better (see: macross Zer0) but this great in it's own right. The story was small and compact but had a hell of a mental punch to the face and as my rolling 6 month subscription to Battlecorps™ proves, I like that kinda thing anyway. The pace was kinda slow but if did get cool near the end.

One last thing ... people need to learn how to fire an RPG BEFORE they start a firefight .... know your weapons .. christ (bradley smith) almighty.
Last edited by Mik on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:10 am

I had thought you didn't click the link after your lack of response

But what's truly humorous... I didn't find the DVD when I said I was going to go watch it... but I found it today, the first thing I saw right AFTER watching Jin-Roh was this thread.

I personally love how from the very beginning the main character isn't as screwed up as he makes himself out to be, and then bam in the end you find out most of it was a ploy to get the other political faction off guard...

Then the very very end with the reference to little red ridding hood... the first time my aunt watched it, she didn't think he pulled the trigger...

it's just fucking great in my opinion.

While yes... it does seem slow, it's just perfect for this particular show... and while I agree the story itself wasn't grand, yeah the world wasn't saved, yeah the country wasn't saved... and all they did was prolong the inevitable shut down of the group... I still think it was told excellently.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:28 am

I agree, I'm still not sure he fired.

Any anime that doesn't involve mad demon sex orgies is a good anime in my opinon. The little red riding hood referances where everywhere what are you watching even at the very start I noticed the satchel carrier wore a red hood and I thought I was being to insane then, she gave him a little red riding hood book.

Yuo have to admit the first fifteen minutes and the last fifteen there far more exciting than the middle, if they had something the middle to keep me going I prolly wouldn't have noticed.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:17 am

you mean were he proves he'sa wolf and kills all there asses?

yeah... that was great

but yes... he did fire.

the way I'm sure of it... is the set up guy had to un-click his gun... meaning he wasn't the one that pulled the trigger
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:46 pm

yeah but for a second ther I was like goddamn
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:34 pm

You wanted him to shoot and thought he didn't?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:37 pm

I reckoned he'd pussy out, I'm glad I was wrong.

Good job on this one Will, go find me other PWNAGE anime
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:41 pm

Have you tried "Wolf's Rain"? [/sarcasm]
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:47 pm

I watched all 30 episodes
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Ah the fanboy... watching something simply cause it involves wolves in some nature.

Did it really suck as much as I've heard?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:18 pm

it was weird, it didn't make any sense at all near the end and Tsume dresses like a modern day Elf (thanks Kaos :/)

it could have been 10 times better if I'd made it
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:36 pm

Yeah... it probably would have consists of the wolves killing off all the humans and repopulating with there own wolven kind.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:06 pm

I like humans, I won't have them all killed off... the vast majority of them yes but all, no.

heres a totally unrealted question for you,

Popular modern film culture has turned the state of zombifaction into a blood transmitted diease, means that upon infection (in the bite format) the subject will degenerate into a Zombie. Would a werewolf be affected since it has a hefty regeneration rate and diease resistance.
Last edited by Mik on Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:22 am

Modern film culture is stupid. That's the answer.

If I had to make a choice, I was would say they do become zombies, but at a much slower rate.