Fable

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:38 pm

damn.

1st things first.
dont go into fable expectinve much of what you heard was availible in project ego.
cuzz some of those features didnt make the deadline. actually quite a bit of them were cut becuase it wouldnt have made the deadline in time.

anyway....
I got fable. its a damn good game and in my opinion probably the best rpg ive played in a long time.(since vagrant story released)

one problem...
its a bit short. (as if most rpgs arent either short are long and drawn out.)

but other than that the game is fun to play. best thing about it is that you can vere off from the main storyline just about anytime you want.

I dont mean like in other games were if you decide to take a break from the story all you can really do is level up or take a side quest. there are side quests tho..lots of them. but some of the meat is found in doing other stuff. the game can remind you a bit of the Sims at some points.

get married
get devorced
buy a house
fix up the house
rent it out to npcs
buy a buisness
rent that too
get tattoos
get your hair done.
random stuff

npcs react....
they actually react and comment on your clothing, and appearance.
they fear you, make fun you, give you props, fall in love with you.
ontop of that they react to your reputation.
and then theirs another layer were some of them form a personal opinion of you.

The game itself looks pretty good. The world seems huge.
actually is a small island(s) my only issue is that they give you a teleportation system for warping around it so instead of walking the distances and taking in the richness of the environment you get to blink around at will. I'd much rather walk...and in most cases i do.

the charactar work is pretty good too. midways between cartoony and realistic. maybe its more like 70% real 30% toony, and its all done pretty much in a flawless manner wich was hard for me to imagine since the main character quite often changes his appearance (depending on your choices) and he most of the changes are drasticly different from one another....still the models and textures hold up greatly.

another thing I loved about it was rather than limit you like most games they just give you a consequence.
for example...
in the typical rpg if you arent strong enuff to wield a weapon. you simply can not make any use of it till you are.

and fable I wasnt yet strong enuff to wield my great axe...but it let me equip it in way even tho i was warned that it was too heavy. when I tried to use it my character made a poor effort to swing in and barely lifted it, the swings were slow, and when walking....he dragged the the axe behind him and it pulled along.

I think thats the best way to do it. rather than being barred from using it at all I was allowed to use it....poorly.

wich leads us to stats....which are completely optional.
you could play thru the whole game without applying anything to the stats at all if you want it'll be tuff as hell tho.
and it all makes sense.
you wanna be stronger physicly? use more physical attacks
you want to excel in magic ability? use more magic.
in this gave experience is earned...not given.

a few other great things...
while the story is short.(it was also cut down for the damn deadline)
its pretty good. its a fable. so its not like a big novel or anything.
think of a basic fable....most of them are fairly short too.
its actually more like a classic fairy tale or somthing.

simply put, FABLES are not EPICS, but can easily be on the same level of quality.

and the soundtrack. sweet shit there.
its not really somthing you pick a favorite song out of because its mood stuff that sets the tone while sharing a common theme.

its like danny elfman stuff.
maybe that cuzz danny did the soundtrack. ;)

great job of it too. the music is probably one of the most important elements of the game, but it never steals the attention away.
you can definaly here the typical elfman elements in the track, but the whole style just seems sligtly tweaked for it to better fit the strong fantasy style and it works out perfectly.

and lastly.
its great to see a bunch of non japanese names for once. not american names either but their english (close enuff for me)

whats that mean tho?

means that the game is full of UK influence.
the accents are, some of the stuff they say...hell the main character even has Uninon Jack underwear. UK residents should feel right at home.

its nice to see european style fantasy actually being done by europeans. cuzz quite honestly when the japanese do it they aways toss in their demon slyer stuff and magic is never really...magical.

Fable is king
and I hope the rumors around this fable 1.5 and fable 2 thing are true.
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:04 pm

sounds like an interesting game perhaps ill look into it... whn the price comes down cuz im poor. i actually just recently got Dark Cloud and despite the overall sillyness of its appearance its has what seems to be a very unique battle system and the Georama idea is pretty cool but it could do without the grid base
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:47 am

i'm a cheep bastard, i'm gonna wait and play it to see if i want it.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:32 pm

well rent it when you get the chance.
I have a feeling that some people may only feel that a rental is all its worth. because of how short it is.

but me personaly, I think its worth owning, its got a real old school flavor to it.
not old school as in gaming, but oldschool as childhood fantasy movies. like legend or darkcrystal.

infact I think it would be a great movie.