Magic the Gathering

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:50 pm

Yeah, but easily counterred if the other guy knows it's coming. Destroy some land or other mana generators or try to get rid the card before you tap 'n' sac.

Played with a sliver deck once, those things are nasty, used every colour too. There's somewhat of a lack of big slivers so I used my Riptide Replicator with a couple Mirari's Wake enchantments to knock out some 25/25 slivers with all the abilities of the rest. Where slivers kinda fall though is against Illusion decks where the other player is constantly changing his own creatures into slivers to take advantage of their special abilities.

Used to use a Testament of Faith enchantment a while back to win the game every now and again. Testament of Faith, cost 1 white mana. Spend x mana and Testament of Faith becomes an x/x wall creature, walls cannot attack. Stick about 30 mana into it (thank you Mirari's Wake) Brawn in the graveyard for trample, familiar ground in play to prevent multiple blocks and tap an image crafter to turn it into something else so it could attack.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:08 pm

and this is why i don't like the newer cards

so much cheep crap...
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:26 pm

Slivers aren't new, but they are a forced to be reconned with, and where illusionary creatures tend to get fucked

"2 mana, sacrifice this creature: this creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player"

and if you'r playing the deck right, ie, have sliver queen out, and heart stone out, it's 1 mana, spit out sliver token, tap one mana, sac, deal damage, repeat.

I love slivers...
Nova
Trainee

Post by Nova » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:56 am

Hmmm.... I like Mindslavers.

5 mana artifact. 4 mana, tap, sacrifice, control target player's next turn. (they cannot take damage from mana burn)

Additionally did I tell you what the beacon deck allows you to do? Beacons are cards that do an important function, then you shuffle them into your deck. Bringers are all 5/5 creatures that have trample and a special ability. There is a bringer and beacon for each color.

My combo, the bringer of the black dawn, the beacon of tommorows, the beacon of immortality, and the beacon of creation.

Bringer of the Black dawn: Take two damage, take any card out of your library and put it in your hand.

Beacon of Tommorows: Target player takes an additional turn after this one.

Beacon of Immortality: Double target player's life.

Beacon of Creation: Put a shitload of 1/1 insect creature tokens into play.

Throw in a good amount of counterspells and you're set. I've won far too many times with this, because once you pull it off (counterspells used to make sure it does) it can't ever be stopped.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:17 pm

Since everyone is talking tokens, two words: Parallel Evolution. and one more word, flashback.

And with my favourite enchantment, Mirari's Wake I can play this sorcery and use the flashback in the same turn to get a silly amount of tokens in one turn.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:15 pm

Some kid at college had a deck that would overrun you with tons of little 1/1 critters. Very difficult to stop.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:53 am

Super Goat Weed wrote:Some kid at college had a deck that would overrun you with tons of little 1/1 critters. Very difficult to stop.

That's why I love caltrops, (Artifact: caltrops deal 1 damage to all attacking creatures without flying) unless of course he uses the overrun sorcery (all attacking creautres get +3/+3 and trample this turn) before sending them forward, then you're pissed.
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:45 am

magic. good game. very nostalgic. i had an all right green/white deck. lots of hard to block creatures (shadows, for instance), lots of boosting enchantments (ancestral mask: enchanted creature gets x2/x2 where x is the number of other enchantments in game) and lots of gaea's blessings and elvish hideouts (meaning i was always picking up stuff from the graveyard).
not absurdly awesome, but fun to play with.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:02 am

I used to play, from The Dark on through Weatherlight I think. I'd use all colors if I could help it. I usually tried to make theme decks, or decks that used creative combos, rather than try to be a power player. More fun that way.

Eventually I realized that I had dumped hundreds of dollars into cards and to continue enjoying the game I'd have to dump hundreds more, so I got new hobbies.
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:58 am

yeah. looking back now, i can see my money going down the drain.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:33 am

I lost a few hundred to Wizards of the Coast, but when I left for university I found that I could no longer afford to exapand my collection so I tend to be the underdog now, Onslaught at the end of 7th ed is what nailed me. Creatures where you tap them and you kill any other creature in play, combo's you can tap to remove any permanent from the game or even just "tap tap you lose the game" combos were possible. I kinda stopped playing around there and moved further away from old school stuff. MTG and GW games were simply too expensive to keep playing after a while.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:15 am

Just realized this topic was still up here . . . wow. I've actually found this guy at work who still plays. Going to sell him quite a few cards and hopefully get a chance to play with him too. I'd like to test out my current decks, tweak them and get rid of crappy cards I don't need, then take all those useless commons and donate them to some kids who want to get into the game.

However, I've forgotten how to play . . . I'm becoming really nostalgic and want to play it . . .
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:27 pm

i have this one blue deck that USED to kick everybody's ass, it has a record of like, i dunno HOW many wins vs 2 losses.

then the bastards went and eliminated counterspells....

that's about when i stopped playing. Same reason really, i was spending WAY too much money on that shit, so i gave it up

now i spend way too much on video games... bah
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:39 am

I don't find myself spending too much on ANYTHING .. . sorta in limbo. But I'm making good use of what I spent money on in the past, so sweet ...
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:44 am

lol, i tried to learn once, was pretty crappy at it, once i met this fourty maybe fifty year old fat man with a suit, he was still into it and damn, he was a pro, kinda awsome when you see old codgers like him playing games that you think are just for the youth. but yeah it was fun, but it seemed you had to have the older seris just to be good.