Quake IV Anyone?

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:12 am

hey, anybody seeen the Unreal4 engine?, i saw some screenshots that were mind blowing. It supported a humanoid figure with 2 MILLION triangles.

where the hell did i put that URL...

[edit]

ah, found it, it would help if i knew what i was looking for. Anyway, it's engine 3, not 4, and it supports between 2 and 6 thousand polygons. sorry about that

linkage
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:02 am

ive seen some stuff with it. looks good. but it also looks like a pure power eater.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:21 am

well it's not scheduled to be released until 2006, so there's plenty of time for a computer that supports all that to be available and affordable

well maybe not TOO affordable, but it should be at least in the 1200 dollar range.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:20 pm

their was a chance i'd get to work with it. not likely now tho.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:46 pm

even if you could, it would probably cost everybody in your group their life savings and someone's firstborn son just to purchase engine privlages

not worth it
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:48 pm

ue2 is priced at 3/4 million. we already checked.

we also checked the price on the ue3 engine...undisclosed. so yeah, shitload.
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:17 am

ive been looking forward to Q4. i honestly don't kno why everybody bashes the series after the first one i thought Q2 was great. i havent played q3 and dont plan to but i prefer q2's multiplayer over any other fps out there. i think vehicles in multiplayer is terrible beacause of how fucking cheap it is especially in Halo where all u have to do is jump in a shee and clip ppl with ur wings and it requires no skill at all.also all the new realistic things in fps theses days have made the combat a lot slower. im not talking about graphics i love realistic graphics i mean the running slower, the complete uselessness of jumping(with the exception of UT series), and the ridiculous recoil of guns. i prefered the fast paced, oversized rapid fire weapons, no headshot bullshit, zip around on a grappling hook action of q2 to the realistic cheap shit of today. ok my rant is over for now
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:00 am

vehicles are actually more popular for team based play.
unit transport, hit and run missions, and decoy targets.
theyre quite usless if you dont have enuff players.

if you cant get outta the way fast enuff, then you probably deserve to be hit.
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:58 am

as slow as characters are in halo its no suprise u cant get out of the way. i understand why tey would be popular im simply stating why i think they suck in one game. i havent played UT2k4 so i cant say anything about but since its using the same engine as 2k3 i can assume that it has equally slow gameplay. they're quite stupid if u have a lot of players cuz then u can just drive/fly over mobs of ppl and rack up points.

if u use this tactic (i use that word lightly) then u prolly deserve to be hit...by a real car.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:26 am

from my experience people generally dont mod together. its a chaotic mess with people scattered everywere.

I've read about a few situations where tactics have actually worked.
one from a marine who applies real life tactics and tuaght them to his team mates.

they were playing counterstrike.
and people swear by tactics play in the r6 games.

I havent heard of them being used in games like ut2k# or quake# or halo. But teams in those titles tend to be made up of random people who you'll likely never hear from again.

I'd bet that if you could manage to get a team together and convinced them to use the same tactics from the cs and r6 type games. that they would do exceptionally well.

the only way the tactics team could be brought down by a run 'n gun team is if one of the run and gun players got off a good rpg shot.
becuase in run and gun play, despite having a large team you usually find yourself alone.

1 person vs small squad doesnt stand a chance. a) he may be able to take out one member of the squad...but now he's got about 3 others to worry about and they are all returning fire at him at once. B) if he doesnt focus on a single squad member, then he must be shooting at the group as a whole......spreading the damage evenly between the squad members wich is ineffective becuase none of them will die that way.

the tactics team would kick even more ass on indoor levels with corridor sweeping and room clearing tactics.

another perk of tactics play is that ammo naturally lasts longer for them.
Last edited by kaos on Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:22 am

thats why i like q2, ammo isnt an issue cuz its either ridiculously abundant or the server gives u infinite ammo. q2 only has a few weapons that i consider cheap and there are always ways to counter ppl who use them.

also 1 person against multiple ppl isnt hopeless. ive gone 1v7 on q2 and came out on top by a considerable amount. i have been playin it for 7 years though...
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:41 pm

does anybody else have seriuos doubts about the players on FPSers online?,,that fact u unload everything u got onto them,and they dont die?...hitting them everytime i might fscking add,then they shoot u a few times and ur got....counterstrike is one of those i hate for that
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:49 pm

thats cuz its too easy to cheat in CS

but thats what anti cheat and bot protection