PS2 fuck ups . . .

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:42 am

It's not the first time, but a perfectly clean DVD just doesn't work with a PS2. And a few games take quite a while to load sometimes. THank god it hasn't broke down on me yet . . . but I was wondering if there were other people out there who's PS2 shits out from time to time and whether or not it is just a crappy unit, a bug, or a bad disc.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:50 am

How old is the systems?
PS2's have a long history of doing that after a while.
by the time this problem shows up your warrenty is usually out.

theirs even whole websites on the issue. its a HUGE problem

when mine did it it was just with dvd's then later on certain games. then finally it was useless.

I went to one of those websites dedicated to the problem and found a quick fix...but that works for about a week then you have to do it again...and again..till one day it just doesnt work at all any more.

Sony doesnt seem to have done anything about the problem at all.
Last edited by kaos on Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:31 am

mine doesn't play most DVDs or PS1 games at all anymore
Last edited by Masteroftheweb on Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:32 am

You still see Nintendo's around that are working . . . what ever happened to quality systems and durability?! I want my money's worth with the next system . . .
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:33 am

durability left with the game cube and gameboy pockets
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:08 am

It depends on how old your PS2 is. when did you buy it? there are DVD's that will not work on an old PS2. if you got it within 2003/04 there shouldn't be any probs. they update the DVD player on the PS2 at least every two or three months. the find a dvd format that won't work on a ps2, they fix it.

You should buy a cd cleaner. works wonders...
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:05 am

Ansatsusha wrote:You still see Nintendo's around that are working . . . what ever happened to quality systems and durability?! I want my money's worth with the next system . . .
Sony has always made crappy electronics, especially in audio from what I hear.

They tend to make the best quality products when its brand new. Then they make the same product but with cheaper parts and sell it for the same price as the original...
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:00 am

ill have to argue on the audio bit kaos...i have had a sony CD-player for three years....its still sounds fucking mint...my speakers are in great condition...not once have they distorted....in fact...my mother got the exact same one...cos of the sound...were both really big into our music...its pretty cool actually..last time i threw a party i took both speaker sets and wired them up....on a full 400w...the sound was fantastic...so clear..so what ever you heard could be wrong(COULD)

and as for the PS2 dvd bit...lol...i haven't had one that long enough to find this problem....i break them before that happens...cept this one...which i never play

but i agree...they PS2's are poorly made...and are probably made to just outlast there warrenty...but i have taken 2 years cover on mine....and i will further it another 2 when it runs out....but i never gave sony that money...the shop i bought it....as soon as it stops working....in anyway...i get a replacement free....and on the spot
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:14 pm

i've had my ps2 for nearly 3 and a half years now....haven't had any problems whatsoever. it plays dvds without a problem, plays games for ps2 and still plays games for ps1. guess i'm lucky. :P
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:25 pm

Same dude I have 3 PS2s and 2 of them are in great workin order, PS's use cheap parts tho but its ok as long as they work. But i mean I dont have much or any problems the other one, the laser went so we got a new one.

And yea I agree with Shin I would say Sony makes quite good audio players, one of the best I would say.
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:42 pm

I've had my ps2 for a few years now. works like it's brand spanking new. Never had any kind of problems with it. No offense guys, it's usually the owners that fuck up the ps2's or any consols. I still got my PS1 and it still works wonders.

If i see dust on my ps2, i'll clean it up. i'll even open the thing and clean up the dust in the inside. mainly the fan. even if it doesn't need it at all i'll throw in the cd cleaner into my ps2 and run steps 1-4. I keep both my ps2 and my GC in a high place.

I did have a prob with my GC last year. Something in the engine broke. kept saying a read disc error.(i only had it for three months) I had nothing to do with that problem. I sent it back and they gave me a new one. haven't had a problem since.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:46 pm

I really dont see how the owner can be responsible for disc read errors unless he's drop kicking it in the bath tub, and putting peanutbutter on the discs.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:50 pm

SHIT!

how did you know what I've been doing to my PS2 this whole time?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:56 pm

cuzz youre a texan
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:09 pm

kaos wrote:I really dont see how the owner can be responsible for disc read errors unless he's drop kicking it in the bath tub, and putting peanutbutter on the discs.
It doesn't have to be drop kicked into a bath tub, and putting peanutbutter on the discs. One of the main problems is Dust. look at the Fan on the ps2. If it looks all grey and not black. thats a problem. Hell, if you want blame it on family. lol it could be dropped and you not even knowing it. Really, it's how good the owner takes care of the consol.

My uncle had a ps2 for a year. not even 6 months after buying it that it looked like total shit. You could see rings on it from where he placed soda cans on it. looked like other crap was on it, and it was very dusty. it was dead within a year. he baught a new one.

I buy consols to only buy them once. I keep them in a higher area and i clean the dust off them every two months. I never have them on the ground.