Tomb Raider

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Tomb Raider

Post by kaos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 am

I feel like its the swift journey of a stupid girls transformation into a dick.

Its the same kinda story problems as borderlands pre-sequel had for me. Only it works out better there cuzz, Jack is supposed to a dick nobody likes.

Now honestly. I've never liked Laura Croft, and I've always thought she was kind of a dick.
But, I expected this new reinvention would fix that.

They made her all weak and stuff at the start of the game. perhaps overly weak. it was kinda annoying.
but then they made these evolution attempts but none of them seemed real.

It was like leveling up in an rpg. but instead of new abilities, expecting a new level to bring real narrative character depth, and at level 99 she's supposed to be "a badass"

They constantly try to convince you that this is a person who is growing into a "badass" but, theirs a bit of an ironic disconnect in that because, I think everyone who is interested in the game, is already a badass, fans of this series are not new to the genre. they've been playing it since its foundation over 20 years ago. So it feels like Laura is slowly catching up to you as a player.

She, almost comically, has trouble coping with things that we're already used to.
"whaaa, I cant do this...this is terrible" says the person who just easily headshot 3 dudes in a row.

I understand developers wanted to create a more realistic Laura Croft. I even admire it, but I spent 75% of the game going "Dammit Laura! Get with the fucking program!"
ofcourse by the time she does, we've transitioned from a survivor story to a power fantasy story.

This game also has a very bad case of Magical Negro & Angry Black Woman
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Mik » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:53 am

Isn't that the essence of a reboot though ?

The story of the female Indy Jones doesn't interest me so I never gave a shit after playing the first game, also it was paper thin which even back then was a bit meh.

I kinda like the idea of weakening the player through the avatar but I can see how it'll be frustrating, like fps twitch reaction games and lag algorithms combining to make misses into hits and vice versa
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:10 am

Its more so that she's narrative weak character, except when I'm playing her that bothers me.

Its like those moments in GTA4 when Nico is like, "I don't like killing and I want to get away from stealing and violence."
yet you're running down the street with a flame thrower burning up the people who own hot dogs stands, and picking up the cash they drop.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 am

I feel like that's on you though, you are choosing to ignore the narrative of the character and the game is flexible enough to allow you to play your way and still have some content.

As to why the plot does not reflect your personal experience, I imagine it's because that would require a massively robust and deep system which they probably don't have the time/ will/ resources to do. I haven't played a GTA game since San Andreas (?), maybe the audience has changed in the interim but back then it was 80% people causing havoc, stealing things and blowing shit up, 5% explorers, 7% banged a hooker and the rest played the storyline. Obliviously I made those stats up and everyone did a bit of everything but that's how I felt people spent their time playing the game.

So, I feel like the storyline is something a few writers around the office really loved and someone else crowbarred it into this openworld game. Like Skyrim the dragonborne shit is super important world plot that you can ignore, basically forever if you want to.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:51 am

Oh My God I hated Skyrims major story lines so fucking much!

The dragon born line was just kinda typical chosen one bullshit.

and the civil war storyline was just Nazi's versus the KKK and they honestly try and make you feel good about which ever side you choose to support, at the end I just want to kill all of those motherfuckers.

Its almost as fucked up as that battle scene in Noah.
"You want me to cheer for this shit!?"
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Which kinda my point, right ?

Those types of games are successful anyway because generally speaking no-one gives a shit about the main plot line.Elder Scrolls fans like the side quests and shit way more anyway so why pump time and effort into it ?

Also, I was thinking the other day, that if you execute correctly no-one cares that its clichéd or trope filled.