D&D online.

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

D&D online.

Post by kaos » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:52 am

I'm considering it. mostly just cuzz its free.

But I dont wanna even download it if its like your typical MMORPG.
anybody have any hands on with it?
ReDeemer
Solider

Re: D&D online.

Post by ReDeemer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:29 pm

I've only heard mixed feelings about it, though honestly dude I'd just say download it and try it yourself. Free's awesome like that.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:12 am

Hated it.
But I'm starting to think I just hate MMO's in general.
it immediately reminded of of everything I don't like about them right after the tut was over.

They're just so impersonal.
The best parts of them are character creation.
after that, everything is as stiff as cardboard and just altogether dull.

That in no way a bad review of this game though.
I don't think I'm the proper kind of person to share an opinion on them.
I just don't get it.

leveling, grinding, and collecting random junk just doesn't appeal to me.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 pm

It is kind of the nature of the format that it's impersonal, you have to have a have a process that is fairly linear and is identical for each user.

And it's not that they can't do it any other way, it's just that people generally don't want the alternative, often lauded features are not wanted when used.

Smart AI as an example is often trotted as a want for any new MMO in development, but large sections of the community will claim it's confusing or too hard. Recently WoW has enabled two formats for the raiding environment, Normal and Heroic Mode, the objective is to avoid a repeat of Naxxramas v1.0 as at the time only 3% of the games guild users completed the content when it was relevant. They spent months on the content and it was inaccessible do to difficulty.

Now Normal mode is fairly challenging to most but the top end guilds (despite constant community moaning that it's face roll) and heroic mode is very challenging (it's the same content but with added twists, higher boss HP (30% more in most cases and higher damage output) 30% of the people think they still aren't hard enough, 30% too hard etc etc.

MMO's suffer direly from the old adage about not pleasing all of the people all of the time, the primary difference between a regular game and an MMO is the over inflated sense of entitlement the average user has because they pay a monthly sub fee, they think the game should cater to their whim.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 am

Lots of companies would do better to ignore the fans.
The mmorpg genre is the slowest growing one in gaming.
In terms of innovation and tech.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Im need to find out what exactly makes an rpg an rpg.

surely it cant be as strict as the MMORPG stock
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:49 am

I agree, if anything tech has went backwards.

RPG, Role-Play-Game any game where you assume the persona of a character, technically speaking every game in an RPG of some sort.

You as a spiky haired emo ex-soldier with issues
You as a WWII Soldier
You as a Ghost
You as a Space Ship

The main point where something becomes an RPG in gaming is when it isn't something else more defining. FPS aren;t generally refered to as FPSRPG's, neither are RTS games RTSRPG, it's technically true in each chase, but generally it isn't an RPG until you control the character responses an actions to a greater degree.

You have a mission in RTS/ FPS games if you don't complete it you don't get to the next mission. Most game RPG's are fairly linear too thanks to constraints of the format but you exert control over response to the story, many RTS and FPS games now incorporate similar RPG elements into their storyline to achieve greater depth
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Year.