Chess!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:07 am

Chess has got to be the greatest board game ever invented.

Who here plays it? And, more importantly, who here would like to play it sometime?

Ah... I can already hear the silence.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:40 am

I do. As you might recall. ;) Actually the last game we had was the best game of chess I've ever played. It was so tense. The build up took forever and then all hell broke loose. And I won. :D My brother also plays. Maybe you could play him sometime.
BoboTheIceMan
Enforcer

Post by BoboTheIceMan » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:47 am

I play it. I kick ass hehe, gets to the point where no one wants to play me. =(

Hell I beat Will (technically) He forfit because his game wouldn't let him undo a move he messed up on. We each had a board, his on PC mine next to me, and we called the moves to each other. But I had him in the bag. :D

But Yeah.. it might be fun to do. hehe.

Damn.. I've got like.. three different Chess boards sitting behind me.. rofl.
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:42 pm

Don't get so cocky, James. As I recall, you've won one game, I've won another, and we had a stalemate.

Bobo, anytime you feel like playing, just PM me. I'm usually up for a match!
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:40 pm

I play chess every now and again. Me and WC played twice. It was good. I use to be alright at it. But I have gotten rusty and I dont think about it as much nows but aye its a good game.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:50 pm

EchoPark wrote:I play chess every now and again. Me and WC played twice. It was good. I use to be alright at it. But I have gotten rusty and I dont think about it as much nows but aye its a good game.

heheheh, i remember i pushed you to actually put everything you had into winning rather than being down about not playing all that well. it's not about how long one's been out or how long one has been playing, but how much fight they got in them to win. :P

i will say this, chess is the strategy game to learn. you can apply nearly everything in it to almost every other game you play not to mention even in life. :P
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:58 am

i used to be quite good but i havent played in about 4 years but maybe its one of those things u never forget. pm me2 if ur bored and ill play
Drayton
Enforcer

Post by Drayton » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:49 am

B) Chess is a great game and I am good at it I guess if you judge it by wins vs. loses. But checkers suck ass other than that if anyone wants to play give a holla.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:38 am

I'm a decent player, all depends on the guy at the other end, if he or she is a pro, then i don't stand a chance. the hardest part for me is the check mate! the coolest one i have done was with two knights and a bishop. but that was on dexters laboratory:chess challenge. man i love that game.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:38 am

I lost to my brother the other day in quite an embarrassing way. I got distracted and did something really stupid.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:37 am

My uncle is the best player I know.
I imagine he got that way from his time in prison.

He claims to always be 3 moves ahead of you.
and i belive him.

he alsohas this way of totally intimadating you and making you feel like you just learned the game yesterday by reading the rules off the back of a cereal box.

and a sort of way of pressuring you into making a move, without really pressuring you to do anything at all.

ive never seen him lose.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:03 am

i try to be three steps ahead, doesnt always work, sometimes people easily pull out moves that dont make sense at the time, such as a queen for a queen. but always suspect the unexpected, that way you never get burned. a checkmate is the toughest thing, always try to take out queens and rooks. this screws over alot of people.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:44 am

Johnny, I fear your uncle.

A couple of years ago, I thought I was pretty damn good (would rarely lose) until I went to the chess club in Durham. Fortunately I saved myself the embarrassment of playing against any of them but two of them stood behind me and my friend Rob while we were having a game and they were pointing out moves that I hadn't even begun to consider. They were something else.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:25 pm

i just like playing for fun mostly. not too big of a fan of sitting on a move for twenty minutes. myself and my friend chris used to play everyday, it was awsome losing and winning. i had no idea who was better, me or him. i am a decent chess player, not pro of course but i know how to play. i play on regular bases actually. but speaking of chess, i learned how to checkmate properly from a video game, dexters lab chess challenge, the games awsome. but yeah, id like to play just you know contact me somehow.
Last edited by Drabe,ThePirateking on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
H N
Scavenger

Post by H N » Sat May 10, 2008 9:13 pm

This thread is old but I just wanted to mention how great chess is. My dad taught me how to play when I was about 8 and I've been playing off and on ever since. I used to play a lot during high school on yahoo but these days it's a rare occurence. Reading this thread makes me want to get back into it, until I remember all the hours I used to waste on it. A fun game, but you can lose your mind when you get on the ropes.