Advance Wars: Day of Ruin

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:40 pm

And is it any good? I've been reading favorable reviews online and I'm about to take the plunge and order it from Amazon. But I want to hear a real life person's testimonial before I do so!
Manny-kun
Scavenger

Post by Manny-kun » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:38 am

Yay I get to be useful!

Anyways, I loved playing it, but you won't be putting as many hours as you would in Advance Wars Duel Strike. Pretty much there's the campaign mode with 27 missions, but there are also 32 Trial missions and 5 Challenge missions (I haven't unlocked them yet)

This advance wars actually has a story, compared to the others (Let's fight to stop some wacko) Theme. I really liked the toned down gloomy way Advance wars has gone.

The COs are meh, none of them really stand out for me. But it was nice to have new COs instead of the same overpowered ones.

CO powers aren't really as overpowered on this game as well, Your CO enters one of your vehicles and powers it up, as well as other vechiles in the CO Zone. Different Cos give different stat ups and bigger or smaller CO Zones. It takes a bit to get used to, but you'll get the hang of it.

Also it has a small element of rpg in it, as in every time your unit destroys another, it gains a level, and can get up to 3 levels. A 0 level infantry will get killed by anything in one hit, but a Veteran (Level 3) infantry can survive a Bomber blast.

The only problem I have with it is that there isn't much to do Single Player wise. Unless you play online after you finish those missions, you'll have nothing else to do. Well you can create maps (Which you can store up to 100) but I never found that fun.

There are new units and some have been nerfed in defense, but i'll let you discover them if you get the game.

In terms of difficulty, the game gets alot harder when you start getting into it. I have played all 3 Advance wars games, and I had trouble with this one, without overpowered CO powers and buffs, it's more of strategy than relying on the CO

I hope this helps for you, I know i talk too much XD
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:35 am

I haven't got it yet, neither has Tom but James our friend has it and he apparently he likes it alot though they got rid of alot of the extra content like the battle room. I think that's what he said.

James said it was harder to play but i dont know if that's because of his battle style or if it is genuinely harder.

I want it... but i think the release date for here got pushed back.
Manny-kun
Scavenger

Post by Manny-kun » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:51 am

It's harder with some of the newer units until you get used to it. Some of the missions are cake walks while others you will have to redo quite a few times. Still, I hated Crystal Calamity mission on AWDS
Last edited by Manny-kun on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:56 am

Sounds good enough to me. I'll ask for it for my Bday and order it off Amazon! Hopefully we can all trade maps and battle each other on Wifi someday!