I did it...

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:07 am

The end battles are quite lenghty I remember staring at the clock at one point think 'wtf did 45minutes really go by?'.

Even given time I prefer this ending, you got to see a real aftermath, ya know, all the characters and what there up too. Even the semi-bad guy Seifer seems to have got his life in order, in so much that he's happy. Tbh, I think it gave the opertunity for better sequels than the FF7 storyline, I mean seriously after Sephy would could come along and be more badass, the man wanted to eat the energy of the planet after hitting it with a meteor!!!, they recycle him throughout the FF7 Compilation series because he's that hardcore.

Whereas I think there are places one can go with the materials of FF8, a game which was a much more concerted effort to westernise the series (with FF9 being the backlash to that). Last time a played it was some time ago and whilst I found it quite challenging at the time some 8 years ago, as a much more experianced min-max player I found it mostly a walk in the park second time around .Also the turbo-confusing and much hated 'junction' system is easily the most indepth but also the most fun since FF7.

For the next one recommedation, FF9 all the way, it's fun and light-hearted, total throwback to the old-skool. I found FFX and FFX-2 to be all glitz and no grit, the voice acting was fucking terrible, the only two I wouldn't shoot would be Auron and that blonde hair-ed chick, but that mainly cause I liked her lines more than anything else.

FF12 I haven't completed as of yet, I simply got bored, too much auto-attacking not enough chilli sauce.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:58 pm

I was watching AC recently and I actually did remember thinking "ff8 had so much more to go on."

I actually don't consider seifer a "bad guy"
I think he's an Excellent example of Anti-Hero.

I thought that his role was probably the most plausible of all villains in FF history.
his character could be awsome with follow up media.

of course follow ups would mean we gotta get squall again...and squall.
Well he aint no leon.

seriously tho. after looking at ome clips of crisis core. I wish they would just fucking stop.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:37 pm

I find it odd how people used to bash FFVIII up and down when it came out, and now people love it. Well, most people.

I have the same issue with gaming. If I get horribly beaten in a boss fight, I tend to not play that game again for months/years. Happened to me in FFX, and I haven't played a FF game since.

I loved the battle system in the game, it allowed me to have ungodly stats early in the game, so I could finish off most bosses in two hits from Squall.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 pm

I was like sole defender of the game back in the fucking day, I spent a hour once defending the game to someone who's only response and / or point was 'but squall is gay'

yes, I know, I'm retarded and stubborn.
Last edited by Mik on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:57 pm

I loved the game from the first time I played it, as it was the first FF game I actually played and beat.

We had FFVII at the time, but I had no interest in RPG's until I decided to try VIII. I can't imagine what I'd be doing now if I never started an FF game, shit.

It's like the Blair Witch Project, everybody ragged on it and laughed it off when it came out, and years later everyone's coming out "it was a great movie". Odd what time can do to something.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:57 pm

but squall is gay
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:29 pm

It's easily my favourite of the series. I just sold my copy on ebay about a month ago, though.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:45 am

It was my favourite, i finished much much earlier than FF7.

At the moment i'm trying to convince Toshi that he really should.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:46 am

Toshi and I decided to be silly and play through 8 again. So we've hooked up both of our tv's and playstations and started last night.

Only played for a little bit, now up to our first mission. He got a higher seed rank than me... by 10 points.... not happy

I found out why he was having so many issues with the game and got stuck on disc three. He just GF'ed everything to bits and didn't draw from enemies....AT ALL . Well somehow he managed to draw siren.

FFVIII also has HIDEOUS backwards compatibility, it just doesn't work. Apparently all the different games have varying success rates. FFX doesn't play at all which was wierd. FFVII plays... just

devil PS3
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:59 am

Oh dear, what have I started. :P Interesting that the PS3 has problems. Works fine on the PS2, at least.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:07 am

isnt that the ps3 has a very shit backwards compatibly. If u dont have the 60gig then u dont even get it at all. But i think the list for the 60gig is very small or something
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:01 am

The PS3 does have quite crap playback, but alot of games do play. Toshi got this book free with a copy of some PS magazines a month or two ago, he didn't even think to look at it... because his copy of Shaun Warne Cricket something something worked so he assumed if a shit game like that can play they would all play. (ok that's not what he thought but it's what he should of thought because he has that game and he likes it).

The FF's have a wierd range of capibility from just don't work to perfectly fine. The book gives pretty much everygame that's been released in Europe a 1-3 star rating. Though we did notice that FF8 was listed and FF7 wasn't but like ff1,2,4,5,6,9,x,x-2 didn't.

He wanted to play on the PS3 to save space and he's in love with his new 24" (i think...it's huge) screen and will use it to play games whenever possible. But to be honest i think it would of looked hideous due to the high resolution. Those old games need a small crappy tv like mine.
H N
Scavenger

Post by H N » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:25 pm

On a side note, Toshi is an awesome name.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 am

Hahah! :) I'll have to tell him you said that.

It is a pretty cool name, it's funny because he's not asian at all and Toshimoto is quite a japanese name. His parents are hippies and all the kids have nonoconventional names.