Tokyo Game Show this weekend

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:10 am

I'm looking forward to the MGS4 Demo and new trailer, and of course the Square Enix booth, but I wonder what else will be good this year. As always, probably won't see any Wii's there cause Nintendo does their thing differently in another place. Anyways, I'll report back here next week.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:25 am

Before I forget about what I saw at the TGS (Tokyo Game Show) this Saturday, I thought I'd write my thoughts down in a thread. Let me start by talking about my overall feel of the show. And also to let it be known, there were SOME Wii Titles there, but most of the games and things to come out for that system will be at the Nintendo World event in Nagoya come October I believe. With that being said, I'll run down my overall feelings of each system to begin with, and then go into the individual games.

1. Nintendo:

The Wii - Even though a majority of their stuff wasn't there, and anything that was at the TGS was things supported by third party software such as Capcom and Namco/Bandai, I still believe that the Wii is going to continue to be the strongest selling system with the best games in the future.

One of the big titles I saw for the Wii was Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. I'm not sure if that's the aforementioned RE5, but the gist I got from the trailer (I wasn't going to waste 1.5 hours in line to play it), it looks like you play through every game, STARTING WITH Resident Evil 0 and go until at least RE 3: Nemisis, but instead of the overhead look, this is entirely a shooter game. I think it's cool that Nintendo is bringing back the shooter, and using the special accessories, you can change your Wii-mote to look like a gun. The graphics aren't anything to go crazy for, but I still think it's a good idea. The other game I saw that might be good for the Wii was the new Dragonball Z: Meteor. You use the Nunchuk and the wii mote and move each around to charge up, shoot energy blasts, etc. The control might feel a little weird though. The only other Wii title that seemed innovative was a game called katana (if I remember correctly) done by Koei, which puts you in the shoes of a Samurai back during the warring states era or something like that, and you do various battles and use the Wii mote to slash a sword of block one, stab somebody with a spear, etc . . .

The DS - Lots of new games for it. Square has the redone FFIV, SNK has games like Metal Slug, King of Fighters and all their other hit games, and then there are all your various Anime licensed games, and even a game called Duel Love for the ladies, a dating sim of sorts where you get to talk with cute Japanese guys and do things like rub sweat off their body using your stylus (I saw a girl doing this feverishly while I was walking by). The DS basically has any possible game you could want for it. Except for a few which I'll go over in the next part.

2. Sony -

PS3
Aside from obvious sweet games like Metal Gear Solid 4 (freaking awesome trailer and demos), Devil May Cry 4 (not exclusive, on the Xbox too), and the forthcoming FF XIII, the PS3 was pretty weak. I thought most of their lineup at the show sucked, but there were some bright spots. Another good game I didn't mention above was the new Gran Turismo game, but other than that, it's really blah. It's a bunch of games that still aren't pushing the limits of the PS3 and also lots of multi platform games such as Fifa and other EA sports games with the occasional Gundam game.

PSP
Even though the PS3 was rather blah, the PSP is REALLY starting to build up steam and kick some ass. First cool thing I noticed was a $50 adapter you plug into your PSP and it turns it into a TV. It's a TV tuner that has a long attenna to pull out and it allows you to watch TV on your PSP. Kind of cool, depending on if there are any good shows on TV. But for things like sports? That's pretty cool. Moving onto games, there are LOTS of cool looking games. Silent Hill Zero, Crisis Core (which I got to play and it controls like the Kingdom Hearts games, actually works well for it), and the new MGS: Portable Ops game. There are probably a few other games that slip my mind at the moment, but I think in this next year we'll definitely see the PSP take some market share away from the DS, especially with the new slim version coming out.

3. Last but not least, Xbox 360 -

Microsoft at the brighest and best designed booth of the entire show. It was easy to get around and easy to see the games. Everywhere else was so dark. But it didn't help out most of their games. I saw quite a few games that were going to be on other systems as well DMC 4, Winning Eleven), I got the vibe on a western version Silent Hill rip off, and of course SHOOTERS. That's all they seem to have, and all they seem to be pushing. Japanese people don't like shooters. Japanese people don't like the Xbox. . . perhaps if they catered to the gamers desires and were innovative enough to make a game people would want to play instead of making all these rip offs of certain genres to appeal to the fans of RPGs and such, they would be doing better in Japan. But they don't seem to be on that track, which is how I see things shaping up in a year. I think most people are going to agree with me.

Well, that's all for now, thanks for listening to my rant. If anybody wants me to comment on something else that I didn't talk on, or to go into more debt, please let me know. I'm off to watch the SEGA DVD I got.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:32 am

360 defense shield activate!

*BoooWhipeth!*

You know its not really the fualt of the 360 or microsoft...not at this stage in the game.
its the developers.
if every dev decides to make a shooter for the 360, Microsoft really doesn't have any control over that. they can go out and try and persuade people to develop other genres but ultimately its the devs decision.

the only other thing they can do is 1st party up some non fps titles.

and they're doing a few...but they can only do so much per year.

btw you see any Fable2?
Last edited by kaos on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:55 am

Nope, no Fable 2. Considering that's a western game, it would probably be shown at a place like E3 before it would be shown at the TGS. TGS just had a lot of Gundam stuff and shooters along with sports. You're right though Johnny. Thanks for pointing that out.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:39 am

suprised Xbox didn't roll out some Last odssesy since blue dragon did well.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:13 pm

They might of, but at a glance, it didn't seem like that's what they were pushing hard. Gundam: Troy was what they were pushing the most, along with Halo 3. The Xbox has a stronger lineup than last year, but they aren't going to be able to keep up with the quality titles coming out on the Wii and PS3 however.