GameWatch - The Podcast!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:02 pm

Yeah, so a couple of friends and I, frustrated with the way mainstream gaming press handles news media, are in the process of starting up a gaming podcast featuring news, reviews, and talking points of our choosing. We're doing dry recording sessions right now, but I'm not sure if those will be released to the public or not since we're kinda new to this. Either way, I'll keep you guys all updated on the status and would really appreciate it if you gave it a listen once we get some audio up, and tell your friends about it as well. Also, we've got a temp board where you can post comments, thoughts, and questions in the works as well.

With that shameless plug out of the way, I'm kinda wondering, does anyone here feel kinda like we do about the gaming press?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:34 am

you should have cuagt me a few days ago when I ranted all over Mik's MSN about it.

I dont remember the details...
blind rage.

but I think my general gripe was about all the filler bullshit you had to wade throght get at what you want.

I know with lots of written stuff you'll read 4 paragraghs about the hip new current even and how that mays puppies feel. and in the end you can sum up the actual point in about 2 words...or your left dazed and confused cuzz their wasnt anything said.

Ive only heard a few audio podcast.

turn off with that was that they seemed really bland....and even formulated.(but still bland)

and just like the written stuff somtimes these guys would go off and talk about nothing.

and reviews that go like "the game is cool, because I like it"

and and you might wanna try some BGM.
it works for radio DJ's right?

and one more thing.

if its not too much to ask.
how bout some Cons?

remember in the old gaming mags back int he early 90's that listed both the good and the bad about a game,no matter what the game was or what mainstream media thought about it?

try that.

lately, no game that the mainstream thinks is good has any negatives listed.
and No game that the mainstream pans has any positives listed....that shit needs to stop.
Last edited by kaos on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:21 am

Yeah, we have a pretty unique setup I think, and we can do a lot with what we have. According to our producer, we can have a show with close to or on par with radio quality production.

And don't worry about the reviews. Our goal with reviews is to try and balance them between an objective standard, and audience preference. For example...Double Dragon on XBLA is complete crap. But we understand there may some people that like that game, or games like it. So, for their sake, we try to find both the bad AND the good in the game, and recommend it accordingly. Likewise, we're all very critical, and have no problem giving lower scores and criticizing games that get undeserved praise in the mainstream media. Also, one of the things we're doing is having a more sensible review scale. 5 is an average game to us. So if a game is average, we give it a 5. It seems like in the mainstream media, very few games actually get below a 6, despite the fact that they make the same claim. We're seeking to change that as well. So a game that may be decent will get a 6.5. That's above average, and a somewhat respectable score to us.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:13 am

Judging from your posts on here, I don't think it's possible for you to pull this off. Sorry.

Anyway. I tend to find I get the most information about a game by watching a gameplay trailer. It's pretty hard to get decent unbias information about any game these days. It's all about marketing. Halo has been said as one of the best games ever, personally I think it's alright, but best games ever? Come on. However, because it's MS's crowning achievement practically all XB sites bum it to death. Then there was Killzone. Christ, I think that game is absolutely terrible.

I'd read your site if it was able to produce good reviews about all platforms, and I couldn't tell you love the 360 and hate the PS3. I hate that. Also, less of the us part. Is it not more about your audience? Otherwise you're going to end up like everything else that you hate and start giving opinions, instead of reviews.

As for a website of some sort. I have lots of ideas about those.
Last edited by Matt on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:36 pm

I can understand that. We seem to disagree on a lot of things. I will say this though. I really do believe that you've misjudged me. I don't hate the PS3 at all. I recently bought one. I may have bashed it. But I bash MS just as much for their rampant hardware problems and annoying customer service department. Not to mention the software drought that's going on right now. Maybe the fact that I haven't talked about that as much on this particular forum has lead you to believe what you do. But regardless of my console preference, I do try to judge things objectively, and can recognize when Microsoft has done something stupid, and when Sony has done something good. But, I can understand your skepticism, and by all means, criticize me if I do display a gross bias. But I ask you also consider that my views may not be as slanted as you seem to think they are.

And the reason I keep mentioning "us," is because we have the vision. We feel there is an audience out there that wants to hear what we have to say and how we say it. Because of this, our ideas about how the show should be run, and our thoughts and opinions on the industry are just as important to keeping the show alive as the listeners are. The show doesn't work without both of those things working together.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:30 am

Sounds interesting, i'll give it listen if you post it up sometimes in the future.

You brought a PS3?
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:21 am

Yeah. It was sweet for the one day it worked. I got it used from an eBay store, so I assume that the person that traded it or sold it to the guy running the store knew it was defective. Either way, he's replacing it, it's just gonna take a few weeks now. It's probably just as well. After I beat Resistance, there's not much I'll be interested in until the holiday season.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:24 am

Does he actually have to replace it?

Also i think you guy's could do ok with your podcast, it's unlikely it's going to be a band of yes men. You can be funny and it takes all kinds of humour and reporting to appeal to the world market.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:42 am

Matt if if we were going to judge people purely from their posts here on this forum you would pretty much be a dick who seeks out things to complain about and half heartedly rally against
Last edited by kaos on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:58 am

Aye, cheers for letting me reply to him before you took a chunk out of me :up:

But yeah, you're right, really. I've only seen one side of you on this forum, glad you understood and you explained pretty well.

Is it going to be a website as well or just podcasts? Sometimes I prefer a bit of good old reading.

EDIT:

Speaking of Resistance, I thought it was pretty damn shoddy.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:08 pm

Matt - There will eventually be a website with a forum, news updates, and a text version of our reviews (I think). Right now all we have is a crappy free proboard, and I think we're going to wait to give that out until we're confident we have a big enough active listener base to keep it alive.

Lesley - Yeah, our thoughts and opinions on games and the industry have always been a lot different than most people's. We think we have some unique perspectives to bring to the table and it's our intention to become popular enough to be picked up by a company like Ziff Davis or CNet. That's a looooong ways off though, and obviously not set in stone.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:50 pm

yea i hate alot of the reviews i read that are all the good point and never the bad, most mutli platform mags are still usually one sided on most shit, and on the tv its even worse.

As long as u take the piss out of good games lol i dont mind, no game is prefect. And humour ... humour is great and i great some BGM will be cool. I will listen if u stick up the links and it will be my first podcast XD.

I like the PS3 but no games i played Resistance its no bad but a lil to easy i would say, no bad that ebay store is giving u a replacement tho, thats no bad.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:54 pm

if you guys ever get a chance to do an interview
make it meaningful.

theirs too many interviews that pretty much go...

game developer stopped by today...
he was cool cuzz he is designing a game
he said his game was gonna be cool
we thing its gonna be cool

ask the tough questions.

you get itakagi, Fuck how cool ninja gaiden and DOA are

ask him why he is determined not to make any new ip and how long he thinks he can keep people interested in rehash after rehash before they decide to movie on.

ask square if they even did any research at all on the western market beofre they even released that badly designed blood lusty character?

ask cliffy B why in the hell he thinks over the shoulder can is new or original?

ask bioware why they treat all decision based games like a fucking multiple choice test. thats not decision making...thats a choose your own adventure book.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:49 am

Sounds interesting and I'd like to hear your finished product.

I listen and have listened to several similar, I guess, kinda things. I loved MMO Renegades (Silky Venom Radio http://www.silkyvenom.com/SVRadio/Episodes/) for the few episodes they did, it was about MMO's in general but mainly about the run up to Vanguard: Saga of heroes and what they would like to see in the game and often their opinons on the previous games in teh genre, there was about 6 people in the dicussion group usually 2 or 3 where more vocal than the others but it was good show. I remember a few negative rants about trends they dislike and one quite blunt rant about Star Wars Galaxies.

I also listen to the 'Sci-fi Guys' radio show, it's quite low quality and fairly fluffy in places, the host tends to fall over himself in his speech quite often and is prone to saying the same thing several times, in slighty different ways. The co-host does seem to often take a back seat and is often more of yes-man but I do enjoy their interviews (they have atleast 1 per show) which ask fairly decent questions.

So, yeah bit off the path there but look into those two for ideas maybe, moreso MMO if they are still even available.
Last edited by Mik on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:40 pm

First off guys, I really do appreciate the consideration. I'm actually kinda surprised at the response so far. Not so much that a whole ton of people will be listening, but more so that the response so far has been completely positive. Anyway, just as an update, we will be recording our first session this Saturday, and it will be a special E3 edition, where we go over major news from each of the press conferences. I assume it will be up later on Saturday, if not, I can't imagine it wouldn't be up soon after. Hope you guys will give it a listen, and thanks again for the interest.

Oh, and our "website" right now, is not exactly what we'd like it to be, but hopefully that will change within the next year or so. But for now, you can head over to clubred.proboards4.com. The forums are completely dead, because this is technically the first place we've opened up the link to. So, I ask you guys to check back every so often and see what's new there. Also, all updates on our show and various things will be posted there as well. Lastly, the forum is the easiest way to be involved in the show. We plan on it being as interactive as possible, so when we're just looking through the forums and someone makes a good point on a topic, especially one that's got a different perspective than ours, we'll probably read it on the air and discuss that a bit as well. So I encourage everyone to go do that. And again, please check regularly, it's be a rather slow startup, but we need everyone we can get for this to really be what we want it to be.
Last edited by XenoRaven on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.