Neverball - The Aura League!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun May 20, 2007 2:14 pm

Allow me to announce the most exciting addition to Aura in quite a while. The Aura Neverball League!

WTF is Neverball, you ask? It's a freely available and highly addictive game loosely based on Super Monkey Ball. Since it's free and runs on just about any operating system, I want everybody taking part. Yep, even you. :P You can get in from here. On Windows, all you need to do is unzip it somewhere and run it. Let me know if you have any problems. Oh yeah, most of you can probably notch the options up a bit. The defaults are a bit crap. Reflections can really slow it down though so some of you might need to leave those disabled.

In order to participate, go to the site at http://neverball.aura-online.co.uk and register. Then all you need to do is upload a replay file and enter whether it was best time, most coins or freestyle. How do you create a replay file? After completing a run, the game will present a "Save Replay" option. Click that and give it a name. On Windows, you will then find the file in the data\.neverball directory. Please stick to the naming convention outlined here and read the other rules while you're at it. Best time runs aren't accepted for some levels.

If you want to watch someone else's replay, download them from the site and save them into the data\.neverball directory. If your browser tries to add .html or something on the end, remove that. They will then magically appear in the game.

There is an official league and forum but they said they didn't mind me starting my own one as long as I restyle the look of it a bit. I'll do that very soon. I wouldn't bother trying their league since they're all pros and you won't get anywhere the top. :P One of their more average guys came over to ours just after I set it up and started uploading all his Easy level most coin runs. I politely told him to only upload newly created replays because you guys haven't had a chance yet.

If you want to keep tabs on how everyone else is doing but don't want to have to check back all the time, there's an RSS feed you can subscribe to.

Now go and play! :D
Attachments
screen_3.jpg
Last edited by Chewi on Mon May 21, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun May 20, 2007 2:26 pm

i'll play later...promise... it's late and i'm tired
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun May 20, 2007 4:08 pm

Sweet Idea.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon May 21, 2007 2:18 am

why not...

*edit* crap on a freaking stick, these controls are HORRIBLE
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Mon May 21, 2007 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 2:38 am

You didn't try using the keyboard instead of the mouse, did you?
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon May 21, 2007 1:45 pm

no, i was using the mouse. Maybe it's just something i have to get used to, or maybe the sensitivity is too high. I'll mess with it a bit, just for you james :P
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 2:58 pm

I found the sensivity to be a lot higher when I switched from my ball mouse to my optical mouse but the optical was faster on the desktop as well so it wasn't just the game. I tried playing it with the ball mouse again the other day and I just couldn't do it, even though I'd previously completed most of the game with it.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 21, 2007 4:45 pm

way my sensitive than i remember it last time around.
A lot has chanced since then tho.

I may try it on a laptop touch pad just to see what thats like.
probably hell.

but id still like to know
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 21, 2007 6:11 pm

I have my senstively low to I can pwn the headshots no fast moving for me.
Phoenix
Whelp

Post by Phoenix » Mon May 21, 2007 6:17 pm

neverball is the shit!
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 6:22 pm

kaos wrote:I may try it on a laptop touch pad just to see what thats like.
probably hell.
Yeah it's hell. :lol:

Okay I found out from the README that if you open the data\.neverball\neverballrc file with Notepad, you can change the mouse_sense value from the default of 300. A smaller value is more sensitive. An option for it within the game wouldn't have hurt but oh well. I would say you should have read the README but I only just read it myself and discovered that you can change the $ coins to € coins! Hah! I should make a £ coin. :P
Last edited by Chewi on Mon May 21, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon May 21, 2007 6:32 pm

i've got the new Logitech evo, and its no bad but i think i need to turn it down a lil
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 21, 2007 7:27 pm

Chewi wrote:Yeah it's hell. :lol:

Okay I found out from the README that if you open the data\.neverball\neverballrc file with Notepad, you can change the mouse_sense value from the default of 300. A smaller value is more sensitive. An option for it within the game wouldn't have hurt but oh well. I would say you should have read the README but I only just read it myself and discovered that you can change the $ coins to € coins! Hah! I should make a £ coin. :P
I was looking at some of the data files and noticed the currency stuff via images.

and I also opened up an OBJ model and had a look at it.

for a second there I was thinking about modding some stuff.

but really all i want is an 8 ball.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 7:31 pm

If you're interesting in making levels, you can use GtkRadiant or one of its Windows variants. It's based on the Quake III engine, I believe.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 21, 2007 8:16 pm

kaos wrote:but really all i want is an 8 ball.
As you wish. :D It was easy enough to do and I couldn't resist! Save this to the png directory as 8ball.png and change neverballrc so it points to png/8ball.png instead of png/ball.png. I made it ever so slightly transparent because the pure black makes it look a bit weird otherwise. If you prefer it not to be transparent, just open up the file and remove the transparency. I think you know how.
Attachments
8ball.png