360's doomed to warp

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun May 20, 2007 1:00 pm

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/broken-xbox-360s.php
Think about it. Johnny GameFAQs, who leaves his Xbox 360 on all day sitting on the carpet, turning it off only to violently lug it to his buddy's house where his friend proceeds to piss on it so they can film it and put their masterpiece on YouTube, will discover that his system breaks sooner than later, probably sometime within the 1-year warranty period. For his efforts he'll recieve a free repair or replacement.

Jimmy Games Forum Goon however, who has taken out several insurance policies for his collection of mint condition Radiant Silvergun and unopened Chrono Trigger boxes that he bought on eBay for roughly 100 times the cost of his dignity, takes impeccable care of his unit. Therefore his will last for a longer amount of time than the warranty covers, leaving him to either trash his 360 or fork over the $160 for a repair/replacement when it eventually explodes. How's that for a conspiracy theory, eh?
This thread spawned from http://www.multipolar.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=1124
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Sun May 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Isn't that like...how all warranties work? >_>
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 pm

they've already started developing the boards differently dude.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 pm

How long ago was that, Kaos? I got mine in February.

And no, I thought the idea of warranties was to help people in the event of a manufacturers fault. To sort the fault out, instead of replacing it with one that will have the same fault!

EDIT:

I can't say I didn't read that and wasn't concerned.

Did any of you actually make it to the end of the article? I'm telling you now if you didn't get past page one you're a retard.
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 21, 2007 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Mon May 21, 2007 1:27 am

My first one bit the dust before the one year period and they sent me a brand new one with the new, quieter, faster, disc drive and supposedly minus the issues the first generation ones had. I guess the latter part remains to be seen.

And no, I only read what you posted.
Last edited by XenoRaven on Mon May 21, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 21, 2007 2:15 am

Go read it, it's a laugh. The guy starts offering advice on fixing said problem, but with a twist. He has pictures of a 360, and then as soon as he starts the step-by-step tutorial, the pictures are of a PlayStation, and it includes getting a cat to help you out, and hitting it with a hammer.

And I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internets. Is there a way to extend their warranty? I vaguely remember something coming with it in the box.
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 21, 2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 21, 2007 2:48 am

I dunno when.
Mines a February too.

and I've never had any red lights. my problem seems to be totally random in a luck of the draw sort of way.

but they've changed just recently I think.

I don't think you can extend the warranty, but they have extended it to one year. originally I thought it had only applied to that first raw batch of consoles. but I called just recently and found mine was also for a year. I missed the mark by a month unfortunatly.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon May 21, 2007 8:50 am

yea am sure before the first year ended of the 360 they released there second generation. They quietier and generate more heat.

Another tip if u have a cooler on ur 360 or wii ... take it off, they cause more problems ... they push the dust in to ur machine ... unless u live in a dust free enviorment ...... pretty unlucky but still if u live in a dust free enviorment u are ok to use a cooler but, dont use it, it pushes the dust into the system and which can cause problems.

My 360 hasnt been off for a few weeks but i dont think i can send my bastard back anyways ... its modded. XD

But if it breaks i'll remember to stick my 360 in the oven
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 21, 2007 10:14 am

Pretty much every Electronic device comes with a 1 year standard warranty, I'm pretty sure it's law. Most companies offer extended warranties (to the point of pushy telephone calls, looking at you Dell computers !) cause they make a good bit of money that way.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 am

It should be 2 years everywhere in the EU, but somehow we get screwed.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 21, 2007 11:37 am

We often don't adhere to EU law, cause we don't have to, this is a good thing in some cases because those guys are fruitloops.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon May 21, 2007 11:21 pm

Matt has never bought a washing machine before.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 21, 2007 11:26 pm

Those won't fit in the oven if they break :(