Outrage from retards

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:26 pm

Over Sony using an already dead goat for a market stunt.

I really didn't think people could be so pathetic. The media's main point seems to be that this somehow encourages kids to kill goats. They fucked up/lied, too. They said fans were encouraged to eat "offal" from the stomach. When actually it was a traditional Greek soup. They've also claimed that the goat was killed in front of people. It came from a butcher.

Liberal Hippy fags are whining about Sony's non-right to be killing animals, too.

The media seems to be making lots of buzz about violence in videogames, too. Who here has seem worse in a film?
Last edited by Matt on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:48 pm

They kinda have a point though, I slew three goats on my way into work this morning, I hadn't even read my paper (which contained this story) yet. That's how powerful the subliminal messaging, in this add, I hadn't even seen, is.

The readership of the Daily Star is prolly far greater than the Offical Playstation magazine (hippies, 9 years olds and retards that need a simpletons look at games). Gratz, on giving both Sony and OPM far more publicity than they deserve.

Sony are clearly tring really hard to be edgy and stuff, don't care.

I'm tired of this Video game bashing, it's never gonna stop, I reckon next time they do this, any video game mentioned should sue for slander.
Last edited by Mik on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:02 pm

I dunno about more publicity than they deserve. They deserve just as much publicity as the rest of the console makers. Nintendo named their console something that sounds like a bodily function. Microsoft went around European PS3 launches handing sleeping bags and tormenting people in queues. I think it's fair game. It could've been any of the three companies. Hell, it could've been any game developer and they'd've still gotten this outraged reaction the media, which is just a damn shame.

I can't see the difference between this and any other marketing campaign. This involved an already dead goat, soup and grapes. I've seen a sheep's brain in my Science classes. Shit, I've held a cow's heart and eyeball, and seen then being sliced open. I've seen a cow being bolted through the head, have it's nose cut in the middle then been dragged over some rollers by it's nose, hung up my it's arsehole and it's throat slit. Which happens to most cows we eat. I really really can't see how this could spark so much outrage. Are the general public that stupid? Do people still think we pray and the stork brings us a baby?

Anyway, I blame the Jews.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:29 pm

To be quite honest, even I have morale issues with what sony did. Thinking about it is somewhat hypocritical of me. However I can justify killing of animals for food, but not as a gimmick to sell a computer game. I wonder where you draw the line, Matt.

No matter which way you look at it though, this does not help the case against violence in video games. When you associate real blood with digital blood. It was a stupid thing to do by Sony. But they don't give a shit, they're a huge brand.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:00 pm

well said.

I couldnt think of how to word it myself.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm under the impression the goat was a bought, dead goat. As in, already dead when they bought it. If it was alive and they killed it live then I don't agree with that, but I equally don't care :(
Last edited by Matt on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icefire
Trainee

Post by Icefire » Tue May 01, 2007 1:52 am

blah blah blah the whole "debate" about violence and videogames is pretty much like TP's 3rd Law: Any sufficiently advanced philosophical discourse is indistinguishable from bullshit.

i'm tired of this shit, those people need to get lives rather than claiming violence is a product of video games. it's a product of human ignorance and they need to get over it or actually do something about it rather than run their mouths.

if anyone has an issue with the above i'll make this real simple so you all know my stance morally on this; Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue May 01, 2007 2:10 am

The main problem with this is nothing to do with violence in computer games. The problem is the bloodied decapitated goat. The only issue with computer games violence here is the fact that this is the real world, and there are people out there who are trying to censor computer games. Stunts like this do not help the matter. Companies like Sony should be setting an example.
Icefire
Trainee

Post by Icefire » Tue May 01, 2007 2:57 am

"The only issue with computer games violence here is the fact that this is the real world, and there are people out there who are trying to censor computer games. Stunts like this do not help the matter. Companies like Sony should be setting an example."

lets examine that for a minute.

a - this is the real world

b - there are people trying to censor the games

c - stunts don't help

d - companies should set examples

you're correct, this is the real world and far worse things happen in it than dead goats being used as marketing devices (which i personally find amusing). second, again you're correct, there are people trying to censor games; all cause they're too ignorant to realize that this is the real world as you had previously drew your first conclusion. third, i'm afraid your quite wrong that stunts don't help. they always help even if it catches flak cause as they say, even bad publicity is good publicity. also, you are once again quite wrong that companies should set examples. why should they? they exist for one sole purpose, to make a profit. they go on through good times and bad times. there's no political motivation, no moral ambiguity, etc, etc. (list is pretty much endless), whereas governments, political movements, religions, activists and their quintessential stupidity that the world revolves around their beliefs always vanish with time.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue May 01, 2007 4:51 am

What exactly was the point of that pompous drivel? It doesn't bother me that you personally think this is morally ok. I'm pointing out a way a respectable company should behave. They recalled their publication and apologised for the whole ordeal. If they weren't obliged to do so they wouldn't have. So yes, even Sony know there is a way they are supposed to present themselves.

Don't pull the "far worse things happen in the world" thing. If we went by that then nobody could object to anything. It's such a naive statement.

I dunno if you're trying to be clever or just argumentative. But your post is structured like a 13 year old trying to act like someone with a brain. You've really misread the type of forum this is if you think that's going to win you some brownie points.
Last edited by Bogey on Tue May 01, 2007 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 am

But surely it's up to the audience to decide if the stunt was immoral? The game is rated M/18+ So there should've only have been people legally classed as adults in the audience.

Setting an example is fine. I think they did just that. I'd like to see more violence in videogames, personally. Like I said, I've seen worse in films. I really hate it when a game scrimps on the details. A head shot should mean lots of blood and skull.
Last edited by Matt on Tue May 01, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue May 01, 2007 10:43 am

How the game is rated is irrelevant, this is an add, in a publication that has a readership below the M/18+ classifaction.

I dunno about this generation but back in my day, I couldn't give a fuck, I mean Mortal Kombat had graphic decapations and massive amount of blood, yet all my friends are alive, I didn't murder any of them, I really don't think I'm the only one either.

I think it's time that we, as a people, need to accept that there are some of us that have a fucking screw loose and are going to go crazy at some point and it doesn't matter what it is that 'influences' them.

There is a dude was up in court locally after he held up a clothing store with a katana because his ShadowRun (tabletop RPG) character (A Female Elf shaman) wanted some underwear for some reason. I don't think we should ban Shadowrun for one friut loop. If you look back far enough people have being doing this shit for ages, in medieval times it was animalistic possesion, where it wasn't the guy it was the 'animal spirit' that made him do it, often an animal that was precieved as powerful and vicious, wolf, bear that kinda thing.

I really don't think a slaughtered goat is gonna make our kids go out and rip the faces off them, for shits and giggles, althought I haven't seen Ben post since we came back so maybe they killed him.

Sony know how this works they've been doing it for a while now, you see this is what you do.

Release an 'offensive' add, wait for outcry, apologize for your 'mistake' repeatedly, Play the we didn't mean or know it would cause such offense card, wait for gamers to be sympathetic to you because over reaction.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue May 01, 2007 11:23 am

It was blurred out of the magazine. Who cares, it never even made it to the printing press, did it?

I don't give a shit. It's a good stunt to play. Well thought out. Plenty of attention to detail. I wish more people would do things like this and tell the people who complain exactly what they should be told:

"don't like it? Look the other way"

It's peoples inability to just turn a blind eye to shit they don't like that ruins something else for someone else. These same people are the sort of people who will put on the TV, find an offensive TV program that they don't like, then proceed to watch the entire series and write a complaint trying to get it axed. These people are retards and should be stripped of any right to contribute to society. They can't even be trusted to...just...turn it off or find something else to do. They're entitled to their opinion, by all means, but if they're about to try and impose that opinion on a populace then get fucked.

You have retards in animal rights groups whining about a dead goat. Who are too ignorant to hear that the goat was already dead and wasn't killed of or by Sony. They keep responding

"but Sony have no right to do this to a goat. The goat is the most sacred animal ever. It's been two months since I last bathed. My hair is stuck together and smells like hald of the woods I live in has died in it"

You have stupid mothers, that read the newspapers and think it makes them a political science graduate, moaning about "the children" none of which were present at the stunt.

Then you have people on the internet saying they should know better. Why? Why should they have known better? Fuck the objectors. They're not your audience. The audience are the people who liked it.

The Libertarian in me cries out in my own outrage. People imposing their will and violating my rights. No-one had to see the goat (there's a good chance there was such a crowd to SEE the goat that people's view would have been obstructed anyway :P) No-one had to read about the goat (until it was splashed all over the newspaper) No-one had to look at the pictures of the goat (again, until the media interfered and made something of nothing)

You're right though, Mik. Sony knew exactly what they were doing here. I still think it was well played out.
Icefire
Trainee

Post by Icefire » Tue May 01, 2007 12:46 pm

Bogey wrote: Don't pull the "far worse things happen in the world" thing. If we went by that then nobody could object to anything. It's such a naive statement.

we're all entitled to our opinions on things, however you couldn't be more off the mark about me than anything or anyone that has ever attempted to guess. this part though makes me wonder just how stupid you really are.

naive you say? i find that remark offensive to the people that go to great lengths so assholes like you can live comfortably and be able to claim "oh no, this company (or person) has done something horribly wrong. they should apologize and never do things like that again". by the way, there is no such thing as a "respectable" company. just those smart enough to cover their asses so the general public doesn't quit buying their shit. also, if you actually believe they were sincere in their apology you're the naive one here. companies like that will continue to make stunts like they did and then when there's an outcry they'll make a nice little public "apology" and then everyone will say "oh they've seen the light". get a clue as to how businessmen/women really are. they could give two shits less how the public sees their company so long as they're raking in the dough. they went with a quick marketing strategy and it got them publicity, now people will just by their shit even more. except maybe morons who believe a dead goat as part of their strategy is "morally" wrong.

you can try your childish attempts at trying to label me as pompous or whatever else but please, if you're going to do that at least be original.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Tue May 01, 2007 2:38 pm

This involves a goat . . . we need Ben's opinion PRONTO.