Which is a better buy for your money

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:13 pm

The question is, really, which is less costly and technologically better?

The answer is the PS3.

It's cheaper. If you take everything the PS3 has and bought it for the 360 Elite, you'd end up spending a good $300 more.

First you need a HD-DVD drive to match the High Definition capabilities of the PS3. That's $199.99 for a chunky drive that sits outside the console. Not sure if there is a black one available to match the black elite. Don't forget that this HD-DVD drive is only for films and no games make use of it, at all.

Then there's the $99.99 you need to splash out on a wireless networking adaptor.

That's a lot of money to fork out on top of the $479.99 you pay for the thing. So by my reckoning, at retail price you pay is $779.97 for a console that is still inferior, speaking in terms of tech, to it's competitor.

Now in terms of "shit to do" which I predict will become the main argument for the 360 in this thread. Well..

The lack of games isn't an issue. The PS3 has not been out half as long as the 360, so that's no argument. Without the lack of games argument a 360 fanboy only has the XBLive leg to stand on. Which is a very fair point. XBL is pretty awesome and I heard Sony's "free" online service is free as far as you have to pay a subscription to the game you want to play online. Which is a huge NO by me.

To sum this up. Its highly likely that I'll see a PS3 in my house before an elite. The PS3 is a much better buy if you can get your head around it, as in, taking your head out of your own anus and trying your hardest not to be a fan person.

EDIT:

I neglected to mention the hard drives because I thought it would be totally unfair to completely shit on the 360 in here. Then I had second thoughts. The 120gb Hard drive is nice and all, but $35 will get you one of these that you can pop into your PS3 using little effort.
Last edited by Matt on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:59 pm

Matt wrote:The question is, really, which is less costly and technologically better?

I think the gamers want to play games tho.
you could build the strongest box in the world. but if the games are weak/nonexistant then the box is useless.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Well, like I said, it's not even been out half the time of the xbox 360 so that, like I said, is a void argument.

I can personally say there are no PS3 games that interest me and that I haven't really been watching the PS3 games list at all. But then I don't with the 360 either. My drive to get my hands on a PS3 will come about when Metal Gear Solid 4 is released.

This thread is about the huge rip off that the 360 Elite is. The 360 Elite is what the 360 premium should have been and the core should have been what we have as a premium. Microsoft played this one well, though. They got 360's in peoples houses at affordable(ish) prices.

But if you can't agree it's a rip off then you're pretty loaded or totally suckered into the "loyalty to brand X over Brand Y despite the clear differences" kind of thing.

Like those sorts of people that agree on Wednesday, with what they said on Monday, despite what happened on Tuesday.
Last edited by Matt on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 pm

I'd be lying if I said there wasnt any brand loyalty in me...
but I have eyes, ears and more importantly a wallet.

I aint dumb.

but you do know that $170 of the price is that damn HDD right?

look at the seperate price of the HDD and the full price of the elite.

then do some subtraction
the elite actually comes out cheaper than what I paid if it wernt for that damn HDD.

the machine itself comes out at a good price.
but they cant hand out free harddrives.

that said...
I have no interest in the elite.
Last edited by kaos on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:34 pm

me neither. It plays the same games, so i really don't care. I've got my 360 hooked up with wires and have no real need for an HDDVD or a blu-ray.

plus i think the white looks better.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:45 pm

kaos wrote:
but you do know that $170 of the price is that damn HDD right?

Has to be one of the most expensive 120GB hard drives going, then. Check that link I posted in my first post. $30 for a 160GB hard drive that fits in then 360 hard drive case.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:19 am

I think you're confused on your exchange rates. That link you posted is a hard drive for £67.86 which is $130.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:23 am

I think I did. Eitherway, that $130 one is 40GB more and $40 less.