REAL next-gen graphics

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:26 pm

up till recently ive always had a proper arcade close by.
the best one I went to was probably the size of a large bedroom. tucked away in a corner between a store and a resturant.

small yes, but they always had new machines in.

the most recent one Ive been to sucked ass. it was big as hell, and had lots of cabinets. but that doesnt even matter if 1/3rd of the cabinets are defualt street fighter II NOT SUPER OR TURBO OR ALPHA. 1/3rd of the cabinets are mortal kmobat 3, and the rest are kiddie machines.

they also never got anything new.
its like they werent even trying.

i still every once in a while to make sure tho.

then one day I went and it was an "eyeglasses center"

one of my serious dreams. is to get a nifty little spot and run my own arcade.
but it seems like to do that now you'd need have some consoles too as hardly anybody releases for cabinets anymore.

I also dont know the lagality of rigging up some Mame systems...even if you have a private membership sort of thing. Tho im pretty sure its probably enough to get me into trouble.
Last edited by kaos on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:45 pm

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/23

we used to have arcades everywhere here, but not anymore. There's still smaller ones in some places, like at skating rinks or bowling lanes, but usually just a few cabinets with nothing too current.

We used to have one in the Amsterdam mall, but it was more of the kind of stuff Lesley's talking about. I never went in.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:05 pm

Yea its such a same that acrades are going down the pan its was a great feeling to play some games on the cabients.

I was wanting to build one but for Mame. But at the mo i have no money ... and really no space lol. But it would be fun to run ur own arcade.

Theres one at the service station a 5 mins walk from the house but its only got Time Crisis 2 which is alright and Initial D which is fun. So its not all bad.

I was a big fan of Daytnoa but the arcade i went to play flew me out cause i went mental at some kid
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:49 pm

Actually it wasn't Ms Pac-Man I was thinking of. It was Pac-Land!

I don't bother with arcades even now because I always feel like I'm just throwing my money away. I have to admit I felt awkward watching Echo continually pump coins into some lightgun game when I knew he wasn't exactly rolling in it. No offence dude. That was pre-Dibs though, I don't think you'd do that now! Lightgun games are addictive but that's why I bought Time Crisis for my PSX. Unfortunately I left it back in Jersey.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:45 pm

I guess i don't feel so deprived child now. hehe.

There was always a couple at the bowling ally, cinema stuff like that, but that's basically all i can recall.

I suck at Daytona.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:02 pm

After watching me at Sega Rally in the arcade on a Boat last summer, my passegers expressed some concern over the journey ahead.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:03 pm

What ya talkin about chewi man lol i still do it now XD

But more control over myself. Am always poor and pretty much always gonna be, so it shouldnt stop me. I love gaming so i cant help myself really, most night at 1am, u can find me at the garage on either Initial D or Time Crisis.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat May 05, 2007 1:16 am

http://forums.aura-online.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1944

Speaking of arcades.

Also, I've always thought the arcades were a fucking rip off. £1 per play. Maybe it was my mum being a tight arsed bitch when I was a kid, but I've always thought that £1 for a 5 minutes go on a game was shit.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat May 05, 2007 12:11 pm

I totally agree.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sun May 06, 2007 2:12 pm

use to be 20p and 50p for a game on the acrades, i use to remember being a kid playin at that price it was great lol.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon May 07, 2007 12:38 pm

once the price went from 25 to 50 cents, i kinda lost interest

except for shooting gallery games. For some reason i still like those. Probably because no matter how they port it to a home system, somehow it's just not the same as shooting stuff with a gun in the arcade.