Console Wars Renewed?

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:33 pm

OMG PS3 SI SHIT! LOLOLOL KEKE
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:46 pm

That hurt my head.

I'm waiting for the PS3 not to be a grand over here. I don't understand why but they released a pink PS2 Slim over here... not even to support breastcancer research... just to sell to girls... and guys of the pink shirt persuasion. It's priced well (consol, 2 controllers, mem card) but i look at it and cringe.

I'm just against the pricing points of all electronics in australia in general not just the PS3.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:59 pm

Same, really. I'm violently opposed to the pricing. £425 is just too much. £300 is really pushing it.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:23 am

If i had a job i would acutally buy one, i just dont :(

I dont think the console is shit, just that sony never thought out there gameplan they jump way to far. The whole cell processor and blue ray, there was caused the major price raise and deleys, i mean it isnt the most expensive console in history, but i mean its a bit crazy especially with no much exclusive titles, buy a 360 get the same games for cheaper. The only thing the ps3 will over is probaly better graphics. Am one of those are hoping something will happen.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:37 am

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a winner for me and we must remember that cross platform games suffer in one way or another.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 am

cross platform games only suffer if theyre not optimized for the systems there on.

and in most cases they are.

when you get one thats not optimized its a port.

but like i said. most times textures and models are re done appropriatly depending on the system handling the title.

cross platform titles dont suffer unless the developer is lazy and only shoots for the lowest specs on all systems.

typicly only EA does that.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:12 am

If Sony and the PS3 do lose out this current generation though, do you think they would be done for or do you think that they would still come out with a PS4? You know what though, the shittier PS3 does the better. Means they'll start cutting prices sometime this year in order to gain some on the 360 and Wii. Bet the prices will be down to $400 and $200 by the time Xmas rolls around.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:32 am

I think theyd be idiots not to try again with a PS4.
but I guess it really depends on if theyre able to keep theyre head above water.

I think the last thing anybody should want is for competition to die out completely.
nothing good comes out of that.
with no competition, theirs no need for the market dominator to every try or give a shit.
and then you get a load of crap.

IF sony did pretty much die. which i doubt...and i pray they dont.

Then you naturally you would see a new (or old) console developer come in to fill the void, though it may take a year or so.

but I've no idea on who that might be.

it could also come in the form of a less familiy friendly nintendo console. but that would require a complete turn around in nintendos current philosophy.

I've heard Dell wanted a piece..i hope thats not true.

I think if anybody at all is in good position to fill that void its Apple.
but considering their history with games in general...that could be a disaster.

then again, maybe it'll be sombody nobodies ever heard of.
Game Park maybe

or maybe just some average James Le Cuirot in his basement, who dreams of code and can hack together a simple OS and build knows how to build a heafty machine really cheap.

ofcourse this wont be our James Le Cuirot....
our James Le Cuirot likes open source and Free stuff too much to be a major console developer.

theirs always the dream tho that he could persude the industry to shift in his favor and everything becomes free.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Our James Le Cuirot. :lol: It nearly happened, you know.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-243143.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-255707.html

Unfortunately, it was too early in Linux's life and they couldn't secure any investment. If Loki Entertainment (the company that ported some major games to Linux) hadn't also gone bust (extremely bad, possibly corrupt management), I'd say it would more viable now. Shame.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:05 pm

I nearly forgot.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm

What you said is true but I don't think one console dropping out of the market would be as bad as you say, there's still the other two plus the PC gaming market and the greatest part of the PC gaming market is, it's always updating :D
Icefire
Trainee

Post by Icefire » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:25 pm

just to point out the obvious, sony killed it's own customer market the moment it put such a high price tag on the ps3. they wanted to milk it for all they THOUGHT it was worth and in the end they overestimated the demand people would put on it. mainly due to all the muggings aswell as a few deaths that occurred when they released here in the states. the ONLY one i've seen at the local wal mart here, is in a sealed display case with no visible locking mechanism. it shines, wow....quite frankly i'm not buying that thing till it drops to at least 2 or 3 hundred or lower even and i happen to be a hardcore playstation fan. considering my severe aversion towards hexbox, i'll stick with my older console systems. seems there's not really any good games being released on these so called new consoles from what i've seen. hell, even the more recent call of duty came for the ps3 is on the fucking ps2. on top of that, even the games for the newer consoles cost way too damn much. if i want something that expensive with MUCH better qaulity when it comes to substance and graphics, i'll go buy a new pc game.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:55 pm

I think eventually, all of the systems will peter out and be selling about the same amount of machines as the other company. This would be a GREAT thing for us gamers, to get back to true competition, great exclusives, and games that are actually FUN to play and put together well in order to get the person to play it.

I believe this console cycle will be the best ever in terms of quality and fun ONCE the prices go down. This time next year, I'll have at least one of those new systems . . . (if Secret of Mana comes out on the Wii, I'm SOOOO buying that). Don't you guys think so?
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:45 pm

Mike, the Playstation 3 is so expensive because of the technology inside it. Blu-ray drives retail at about £600 and these cell processors, I shudder to think. That's not to say the stuff in the console is the same as the retail (It's not. The stuff in the console is seriously dulled down to suit the specific job of a console. Whereas the PC retail equipment is more advanced) I think Sony lose $$$'s on every console sold.

So, not really because they want to get everyones money :P Though, I'm sure that's the main objective of all the console makers.

I agree, Xanien :D Once they're all out and the majority of people have one or the other, developers will get into full swing.

I can't remember if Sony said they were removing a chip in the European PS3's that limits the number of old games they play, or un-limits. Anyone know?
Icefire
Trainee

Post by Icefire » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:33 pm

actually matt...to qoute a news article from wired.com and i would imagine this was in lots of media at the time.

02:00 AM Sep, 22, 2006

TOKYO – The low-end version of Sony’s Playstation 3 will be offered at a lower price in Japan than was originally announced and will come with a high-definition multimedia interface in all territories, the company said Friday.

First marked at 59,800 yen, the low-end model will instead retail in Japan for 49,800 yen (approximately $410), a reduction of about 20 percent, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said in a keynote speech delivered at the Tokyo Game Show.

so..you explain to me matt, why put such a high tag on it in the states when they could have done the same thing and it would have more than likely sold pretty damn good compared to how it is right now. they're losing money by KEEPING it at 600 dollars +

simple economics to business marketing, milk an item you sell for as much as the witless masses will cough up. they did that with the ps2 when it came out and this time people wised up and instead of taking their shit, the majority just haven't bought their damn system which they lauded as the next best thing since cheese when in fact from what i've heard it's not really all that better than the ps2 was. in my opinion, that's a slap to the customer's face due to the fact a majority of gamers were looking forward to a system ahead of it's time just like how the 360 and wii supposedly have set a new standard for consoles. of course i won't know completely till i play a game on the ps3 but i'll wait until the fucking price is more reasonable.

on top of that, the majority of games that were supposedly getting released on it's "timely" arrival haven't even been put out on shelves cause they aren't even done developing them. i won't be surprised if some of the games get ported over to the 360 instead of the damn ps3 just so the companies making them don't lose money by having to cancel their games release. which in fact has already happened to one i know of for sure, there may very well be others but i haven't paid much attention since end of last year.
Last edited by Icefire on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.