FFXII

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:09 am

I don't remember seeing a topic about this, which is suprising considering our orgins, has anyone picked this up yet, It came out over here on Friday.

First impressions are it's VS (Vagrant Story) on crack and although I'm only about 20 hours its one of the best game I've ever played. Any spoliers and I'll fucking gouge out some eyes.
Last edited by Mik on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:11 pm

I've heard it's a lot like an MMORPG . . . is that true? If so, if I don't like MMORPG's, will that mean I won't like it? <_< Well, I won't be buying it until sometime around December, so I guess no problems (when I buy it at $15).
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Your dear cousin is playing it. :P She told me it's really awesome. Now you're saying that too. Even Aerothorn said it was okay, which usually means it's amazing. Frankly, I'm very surprised. I thought things were really going downhill. But dammit, I still haven't finished FFVIII yet...
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:40 pm

regular ff was going down hill.

vagrant tactics has been consistantly good

ff12 is just one in disguise
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:27 pm

I'll have to see if I can pick up a cheap PS2 now then. I'll wait until the market gets a little more saturated with PS3s.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 pm

It's one of the best RPG's I've played, I'll say that much. And so far, (I'm barely even into it by the way) my second favorite Final Fantasy ever. It's a huge and welcome departure from the cookie-cutter clones that preceded.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:12 pm

now square has two obvious paths....

A.) take the vagrant/tactics style and run it into the ground.

B.) ditch it, and neglect it forever, without good reason

place your bets.
Last edited by kaos on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:26 am

The system is really slick, but the story sucks and the characters are boring. It was produced by the guy who did Tactics so no surprise there.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 pm

the story does have a few flaws but I'm over looking them till I see the end result.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:40 pm

Im still not gonna buy the game.

unless Riot or Lastrot makes a cameo that lasts more than 5 minutes.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:31 pm

I hate FF Tactics. Should I bother?
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:09 am

I refuse to buy it whilst it's still $99, hey Ben why didn't we decide to play FFXII instead of FFIX? Oh that's right... you dont' have a PS2 :P

I know everyone thinks that FFX-2 was shit, but the dress sphere system was awesome. Chaining attacks was awesome... the only unawesome thing about it was the girlyness.

Riot was cool... but i never got the hang of attacking in vagrant story.

And Joe (of the... omg you live with Ben Kind), you hate FF's or so i've been told. Or was that Eric?

Other Joe... UK Joe cocopops Joe... you might as well pick up a PS2 there is a great range of back catelogue games to buy that would be somewhat cheap.

I have a question... not a spoiler because images are both on back covers of respective games.

What the crap is up with MARRYING off female protagonist? In ugly dresses
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:08 am

you know how rich people are so out of touch with fashion and whats cool so they stick to the expense equals value as a crutch thing.

you know...kinda like what sony wants you to think of the ps3

Zing!

(I had to take the shot)
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:23 am

It's a pretty early scene, in fact it's in the start sequence before you even get to begin playing as Vaan or even Reks. So it's not like she's married off at the end or anything it's a precursor to the invasion of Arcadia anyway and two years before the game even 'starts'.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 am

I rather like the story.

Of course, i liked the story in Tactics as well. It seems deeper then the average RPG these days.

I haven't played it too much yet, only for an hour or so, but i like what i've seen so far. Battle system takes only a little getting used to, and i hate the whole idea of finding / buying gambits (they should just be there for craps sake) I also don't like the idea of not being able to see everything on the licensing grid, but a quick trip to the internet will fix that.

Buying gambits though... seriously... maybe it plays better then it sounds to me right now, but at the moment, it doesn't seem like you should have to purchase tactics in an rpg.