steam really does suck.

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:02 am

I'd always thought people weer exaggerating.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:13 am

as in the content delivery service?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:16 am

Haha. Yep. It aggravates me because as soon as it works in Linux, they go and change it again so it breaks. Some people pointed out that this is totally the wrong attitude to take. They're probably right but I don't know why they have to change it so often... or even have it at all, for that matter. It's cool in some ways but it would work far better through a browser.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:04 am

Steam was perhaps the worst idea in history, I mean ... fuck, before steam you have to download a patch off a website and if the Valve site was overloaded you could just go to one of the many fan sites that would host it. Worked Great, tried and tested that.

Then came steam ... to start a game of CS now take a minium of about 5 minutes (4 of those steam loading up) before it was about 1.

fucking hate steam soo much, I miss Cs and TFC 1.5 soo much.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:16 pm

Honestly I don't think there's a way to exaggerate how bad it is. If someone told me that it caused them to get some sort of debilitating, malignant, pulsing tumor in their brain the size of a grapefruit, I'd at this point have to give them benefit of the doubt. Then again, considering who it's coming from, I shouldn't be so surprised.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:59 pm

The only reason people use it at all is HL2. If that game wasn't so good, the whole idea would never gotten off the ground. I almost didn't buy HL2 on principle because I didn't want to encourage Steam.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:42 am

its like you dont actually buy half life 2
you buy the "ability" to download it.

which makes me wonder... what the fuck is actually on the dvd then?
Last edited by kaos on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:54 am

I thought you only had to activate it through Steam. Maybe it was just updates? I remember loads of my uni friends being really pissed off when HL2 came out because they couldn't connect to Steam through the university firewall. I figured out a way but my machine wasn't capable of running HL2. Hehehe.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:14 pm

the only reason steam got play was because you had to in order to play CS, HL 2 has nothing to do with it.

After you resister you actually don't need to use steam again unless you intend to play some DM on line or CS. However in order to play you need to load up Steam even in offline mode ... RETARDED. There was still a huge CS1.5(pre-steam) crowd until they finally caved and start playing the new version of the game.

The DVD contains the game but in order to play you need to Resister it on line with steam, you only need to download game patches via steam they are just usually retardedly big.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:37 pm

yeah.

the dvd is about 3gigs.

but the install process was like 2 fucking hours of download time.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:41 pm

Agreed. I have an account and I wanted to play HL1 but alas, I didn't know my username or password. Did Valve send me the details to my e-mail address using the lost account procedure? No :( Twats.