frustration

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:48 pm

don't get me wrong, the controller is awesome, but I'm friggin OLD and after two generations of struggling with the Halo franchise i've just decided that i CANNOT deal with using analog sticks as a substitute for mouse look. Now I'm decent at hardware, stuff and, although I'm far from a guru, it just seems like SOMEONE out there would have come up with a controller that substitutes the left stick on the 360 for a mouse by now. Both of them operate on the same basic principle, it would just be a matter of substituting the farther you push the analog stick with the speed you move the mouse.

I've not found one.

Anybody heard anything about this? have any ideas? ANYTHING? I can't stand the fact that i used to be so good at counterstrike and Unreal Tournament and now i suck at Halo.

Don't give me that 'it's not the same game' crap, i know that, but I'm saying that isn't the problem. I could pull head shots in both those other games at will, and with Halo it's friggin impossible. I can't even hit someone with a freaking rocket launcher.

*sigh*
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:13 am

I've never been a fan of first-person shooters on consoles for that very reason. I was starting to get the hang of it after playing TimeSplitters for a while but I was still nowhere near as comfortable as I am with a mouse.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:55 am

I can go seamlessly from a mouse to a pad. I actually prefer the XB and 360 pads, too.

I can suggest one thing, which you won't like....practice. I assssssssssume you're on about online gaming (which I despise) so stick Halo on the hardest settings and try to slug it out with those alien things (can you tell I have a high disdain for Halo?)
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:59 am

Actually Weed...

An attachment that does exactly what you want it to do was released like...
2 weeks ago

I'll dig up the article.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:15 am

there

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/12/30/x3...d-mouse-on-360/

BTW people

I'm Not sorry for the double post
its was intended.

and you and I both know that You dont care either.

(I love this place)
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 pm

FPS belongs on the PC, can't stand console versions or game designed for console first, they are clunky, slow and vastily inaccurate.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Come to think of it, I was a latecomer to the mouse too. I was much too stuck in my ways and used the keyboard exclusively for Quake 2 to begin with. It didn't take me long to change after that though. I was getting my ass kicked... actually I still got my ass kicked afterwards. :blush: Damn ping.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:52 pm

What we ALL know is that FPS just suck to begin with :)

If the games didn't make me want to throw up maybe i'd play them more.

Damn motion sickness.

What I found frustrating today is I was playing FF3 and I could see that a creature i had just vanquished was following me as a shadowy dot and I couldn't DO anything about it. Then he freaking went and STOLE FROM ME. GAH
Last edited by Melana on Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:54 pm

I was a latecomer to most games,

Only console FPS I liked was Red Faction, the controls just worked for me.
Last edited by Mik on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:14 pm

I got Quake 2 with Quake 4, It actually looks pretty damn smart and modern when you use Open GL 2.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:40 pm

I really don't care all that much, but in all honesty I don't like the idea. Point being that they already have shooters that use a mouse. If you like those, play them. I prefer the gamepad, because I'm primarily a console gamer. That's why I don't own many PC FPS's. I feel like once you start bringing one control medium (By the way they're two different control mediums. I don't see one as a "substitute for the other) into the other world, you start tipping the scales. It'd be like changing the rules of a sport to fit your liking. Maybe you're great at basketball, and you want to play soccer, but you're not good with your feet. So you just say that you're going to dribble the ball like it's a basketball to move it around and throw it into the goal because that's what you're used to. It's the same idea. That's why Bungie is not bringing the Halo 2 Vista crowd into the Halo 2 Xbox Live crowd. Now, I know what this is about, and I know you like playing with us on Tuesday, and we like having you there, don't get me wrong. But we don't force you to play that game or any other game. If you're not enjoying yourself, throw something else in. We may join you when we're done. But generally speaking, majority rules, which is why we play Halo, or Splinter Cell, or Gears, or whatever on any given night. If you're not good with the choice, I have no problem with you playing something else. Halo (SCDA, GoW, RSV, etc) nights are more about the three of us hanging out and playing games than it is what game we play.

Also I hate to break it to you man, but it's about a lot more than just the aiming. You could be the best shot in the game and I could still beat you.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:56 am

Matt wrote:I got Quake 2 with Quake 4, It actually looks pretty damn smart and modern when you use Open GL 2.
You can make it look REALLY nice if you use the QuDos engine, high resolution textures and the QMax enhancements. My machine can't actually handle it all. Good luck getting all that to work in Windows though. ;)

Oh yeah and Quake 2 was the first time I ever saw a 3D accelerated game. I had been slating 3D cards as an overrated fad. Hahaha. Yeah right. Until I saw Quake 2, I thought all they did was sharpen the models a little bit. I really saw the full contrast too because unless you had a 3DFX or PowerVR card, you couldn't get 3D acceleration without downloading an extra file. I figured I might as well try it out. I was gobsmacked! Hehe.
Last edited by Chewi on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:27 am

I miss the original Quake :(

And lulz to the analogy you just used there, Raven. That'd class that box as cheating, right?

I think it's a pretty cool idea. Mice and Keyboards aren't new but I imagine there's more used for them on a console these days.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:42 pm

Koas dude u stole my link lol, yea i was on my way to ordering one of these to try out. They look really nice. But cause of some money problems i wasnt allowed XD

But yea i wouldnt say am to great on consoles with FPS, I was pretty good untill Wow came around and i stopped playin consoles for a good bit. I like Halo, the story interests me and the game i do like even when theres far better games but theres somethings what pulls it to me, am werid i dont really play much of halos multiplayer, its no bad but its just like lemmings with guns and rockets, everyman for them self hmm but this could be cause i played a lot of counterstrike and i like planned out shit and head shots, head shots shouldnt count on halo has they have a sheild on eh

But yea am alot better on a keyboard and mouse, i dont complain using a joypad cause i do pick them up quck and the 360 controller is now better designed than its older brother, with the black and white buttons to the shoulder, its uselful for games like gta too , my opinion anyways XD

I was playin Quake no long ago lol great game scary stuff i cant get back in to the swing of it for some reason i get my ass handed to on a plate
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Impulse 9