Sony = Win

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:48 pm

kaos wrote:when xbox 1 came out it cuaght lots of "its just a pc" flak

From what I've been told... in an interview, the president of sony put a stop to all this talk of it being a console, and cleared everything up, telling everyone, this is a computer.

did they get rid of their retarded boomerange controller?
Last edited by Masteroftheweb on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:34 pm

Actually I forgot that they used the PS2 Linux kit as an excuse to call the thing a computer because computers aren't taxable whereas consoles are. However, they were taken to court over it and lost so they probably aren't going to try the same stunt again unless they really are bastards. I hate tax evaders.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:36 pm

Bogey wrote:How exactly is this a step forward for consoles?
This isn't really.

PS3's upgradable hard drives and the ability to play many media files, is.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:02 pm

you had that when xbox luanched...
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:57 am

But the Xbox doesn't have several CPU's and one hell of a graphics card. Plus, are we talking like, the Xbox 360 lets you upgrade to any notebook SATA drive you lay your hands on?

Does the 360 play DivX files and a variety of other movie types? Does it rip audio? (probably does) does it get album information for that audio? Does it have a web browser? (as shit as the PS3 one is meant to be, there is always firmware updates updating that). Does it have webcam support for online video chats? (which is apparently better than that of the xbox, audio quality wise)?

I assume the answer is no to some of them, but I do ask because I don't know!

Also, this revelation means, also, that in future the PS3 may support the ability to have whichever web browser you like amongst other things you can find on your net.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:14 am

But the Xbox doesn't have several CPU's and one hell of a graphics card.
no. but did anything else at the time?
360 does

Plus, are we talking like, the Xbox 360 lets you upgrade to any notebook SATA drive you lay your hands on?
yes and no. its got a funky cable connection. I could run about screaming firmware. but i'll let you have that one. however...as all the content i download i own anways, i can delete some stuff and re download it later if i feel like it. besides...its not save games filling the thing up, nor is music or video. its all these damned Demos and arcade games they keep releasing every week. im so crowded in actual content...oh the agony

Does the 360 play DivX files and a variety of other movie types?
no to divx cuzz in the end its a microsoft commercial and theyre going to push their format WMV. on that note keep in mind that sony doesnt have a format to push
however...like your firmware updates excuse....theis been several season updates that have added shit loads of features. so much so that my 360 is nothing like it was when i got it out of the box febuaray.

correction, sony does have a format to puch...its called blue ray. and not only that. its costing you an extra $200 dollars

Does it rip audio? (probably does)
thats so standard now...does that even count as a feature?

does it get album information for that audio?
Honestly i have no idea as ive never ripped a legit CD

Does it have a web browser? (as shit as the PS3 one is meant to be, there is always firmware updates updating that).
why do people thing this is a good idea?
my god. Dreamcast had it. and it was so bad that it went unused. its a horrible idea.
but just cuzz you brought up firmware updates...sure I guess its a possibility. but seriously....its a dumb deature.

Does it have webcam support for online video chats? (which is apparently better than that of the xbox, audio quality wise)?
not only does it have webcam support.
but theirs a few games that I can use the camera on to map my friggin face into a game....Like Rainbow 6

Also, this revelation means, also, that in future the PS3 may support the ability to have whichever web browser you like amongst other things you can find on your net.
again. you cant really count firmare updates as some great new feature and then not acknowledge that microsofts has been doing this for over a solid year now.

seriously man, you put way to much stock in this firmware update thing.
its not really such a big deal. you get a message, you update, you got new softare features...end.

and despite all ps3's features. Wii has outside it 3 to 1 so far.

you guys wanna talk homebrew.
the xna toolset is free to download so you can build games on the framework using the pc. and for $99 you can get the ability run that shit on you console. and share it with the enitre 360 community.

trust me. Torque and 360 are gonna be making sweet LOUD love in the hotel room next door.
Last edited by kaos on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:47 pm

kaos wrote:But the Xbox doesn't have several CPU's and one hell of a graphics card.
no. but did anything else at the time?
360 does

Plus, are we talking like, the Xbox 360 lets you upgrade to any notebook SATA drive you lay your hands on?
yes and no. its got a funky cable connection. I could run about screaming firmware. but i'll let you have that one. however...as all the content i download i own anways, i can delete some stuff and re download it later if i feel like it. besides...its not save games filling the thing up, nor is music or video. its all these damned Demos and arcade games they keep releasing every week. im so crowded in actual content...oh the agony

You own all the demos you download from Sony nd you can redownload them as many times on your machine and up to 5 times on other machines. The upgradable harddrives means you can upgrade it in a years time, or possible means you can fit more movies, music, saves, demos etc on there. And ona piracy point of view, you can fit even more copied games on there. The PS3's graphics engine is actually vastly superior to that of he Wii and the 360

Does the 360 play DivX files and a variety of other movie types?
no to divx cuzz in the end its a microsoft commercial and theyre going to push their format WMV. on that note keep in mind that sony doesnt have a format to push
however...like your firmware updates excuse....theis been several season updates that have added shit loads of features. so much so that my 360 is nothing like it was when i got it out of the box febuaray.

correction, sony does have a format to puch...its called blue ray. and not only that. its costing you an extra $200 dollars

Blu-ray is a sensible push. 50GB disks are really worth it. In 6 months time the price is going to drop on blu-ray drives dramatically due to things betting cheaper. Being able to play movies I've downloaded on the PS3 is a huge win.

Does it rip audio? (probably does)
thats so standard now...does that even count as a feature?

no, that's why it was so brief in mentioning, but PS2 never had that.

does it get album information for that audio?
Honestly i have no idea as ive never ripped a legit CD

Well, the PS3 does. I like that little feature. Saves me entering the data manually

Does it have a web browser? (as shit as the PS3 one is meant to be, there is always firmware updates updating that).
why do people thing this is a good idea?
my god. Dreamcast had it. and it was so bad that it went unused. its a horrible idea.
but just cuzz you brought up firmware updates...sure I guess its a possibility. but seriously....its a dumb deature.

Well, this isn't 2000, we're not running internet explorer 5 and this isn't the dreamcast. Null and void. As shitty as the browser may said to be, it can still open and play youtube videos (apparently) I'm screaming about firmware updates because this is meant to be shit. Sony, will, undoubtedly, correct this. Then it would be much better and more worthwhile. Doesn't make sense for that not to happen

Does it have webcam support for online video chats? (which is apparently better than that of the xbox, audio quality wise)?
not only does it have webcam support.
but theirs a few games that I can use the camera on to map my friggin face into a game....Like Rainbow 6

Awesome, I welcome the feature on the PS3, then. I also welcome the ability to use this webcam and headset on metal gear onine. REAL codec conversations when playing online. Awesome

again. you cant really count firmare updates as some great new feature and then not acknowledge that microsofts has been doing this for over a solid year now.

the only way the firmware influences this, is by allowing the download and installation of firefox through the web browser, really. So it's not so much the firmware as just the "unlocking" of this ability. It's only a prediction.

seriously man, you put way to much stock in this firmware update thing.
its not really such a big deal. you get a message, you update, you got new softare features...end.

and despite all ps3's features. Wii has outside it 3 to 1 so far.

you guys wanna talk homebrew.
the xna toolset is free to download so you can build games on the framework using the pc. and for $99 you can get the ability run that shit on you console. and share it with the enitre 360 community.

trust me. Torque and 360 are gonna be making sweet LOUD love in the hotel room next door.

So far the 360 has a less powerful processor unit. A less powerful graphics card. Less expansion possibilities. Less media features (because PS3 doesn't just support DivX and MP3) and less online features (internet browsing, apparently a superior quality in video and sound online) this is because it's a full year older. You cannot seriosuly claim it's better in any way. It's like saying the Dreamcast was better than the Playstation 2. For a time Dreamcast was top dog, then a year later Sony released a beter console (that even had less features) and Sega went under. Now fuck,I'm now saying I want XB to go under. I'm simply saying it's time for the XB community to accept that this console is worthy of recognition :(
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:14 pm

lol
Bogey wrote:umm, get a PC?
what this guy said.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:56 pm

I dont the the problem is the xbox community the ps3 isnt worth recognition
I thint e problem is the ps3 community is saying its worth more than it actually is.

lots of sony fans are like those "belive what i say or i'll kill you in the name of god" christians.

its almost like "are you saved?" is the same as "do you worship ps3 exlusivly?".

anyway you went on to say so many great new things about ps3 that made it so great and great.
and then you went on to say innovative of all things.

all I did was proove that they wernt new, nor were they so great and that the innovation...came a year or more ago on other consoles.

next people will be prasing the hell out of ps3's online serivce like its the king shit.
ignoring that its a gimped clone of one thats existed for 6 years now.
Last edited by kaos on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:16 pm

I wasn't gonna bother getting into this discussion until you mentioned that the PS3 had "more online features." You're so caught up in extra features you forgot why people buy these things. Games. In that department, the online features offered by the 360 smash the PS3's face in. Unified friend list, private voice chat (and I think private group chat is an inevitability), and The Xbox Live Marketplace (which content can be downloaded from while playing a game) among others. Also, I don't know about the PS3, but I know my 360 is set up for file sharing with my PC through Windows Media Connect. I can stream audio, video, pictures, and all sorts of crap over my local wireless network. It also streams audio from my iPod in game as well.

And I'm really not all that excited about web browsing on consoles. I'm gonna get the Opera browers for my Wii when it becomes available, but the fact is I have a computer...with the internet...which gives me access to basically every web browser available. I'm sure there are very few people who spent $500-600 on a console that don't have a computer in their house that does the same exact thing.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Well, fuck knows. I haven't played one yet :( I haven't played a 360 yet, either :( I'm just reading from websites, mainly Gamespot

I'm likely to get myself a 360 after Christmas. So, honestly, don't chalk me up as a Sony fanboy. Doubt I'm going to get a PS3 until they drop in price to at least, say, £250

excuse my shitty spelling and that in my last post. I was on my way to work.

Xeno, those sound like lovely features, but you realise (or not) that the playstation has been out not even a week. OF COURSE the 360 is going to have better an more established games in it's year or being around.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to urinate on most games :D
Last edited by Matt on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:05 am

Skipping all that... is it true that the PS3 codes your games to that specific system?

If that's true... it's fucking retarded, and not worth purchasing in the long run.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:45 am

Playstation was inferior to the N64 in terms of hardware and it is regarded to have won the console war that gen, it even held out against some machines far superior to it.

Hardware is all good and fine pre-release but post .. nobody gives a fuck, they haven't since just after the PSX/ N64 gen when they stopped actively adverting their power (32bit, 64 bit, 128 bit etc), I couldn't tell you the difference between the PS2 cpu and the X-box and I really don't care either. Ps2 had games I wanted to play, X-box didn't.

Post Launch the only thing that matters is HYPE/ desirabilty and exclusive games.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:37 am

Will, No. Demos, yes, up to 5 machines. As in, download it on 5 machines using your "wallet"

Mik, yes, but the N64 only had midi sound and animated gif for "video" (see the videos presented in all the WWF games) I think the playation practically "won" the "battle" on the fact it had CD-ROM as it's media. Allowing much better sound and video quality.

It's a fucking dying shame Oddworld went out of the computer game industry (fuck you EA) 360 -5 for E'a bullying.
Last edited by Matt on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:27 am

why it was a regualr 2D scroller and had lik a million sequels, prolly one of the only EA decisions I agree with, that they'd milked the fuck out of it.