Xbox 360 - Open beta testing!?

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:21 am

http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/news_beta.php

SEGA is proud to announce the start of the Open Beta for Xbox 360 on October 11th!. This will be the first chance to play the newest addition to the long running Phantasy Star series. The Beta test period is expected to run until October 18th and will allow participants to play through a portion of the online game. We encourage users interested in the Multiplayer aspects of Phantasy Star Universe to check out all there is to see in the Beta environment!

Getting started is extremely easy! If you want to participate you must have an active Xbox Live Gold account. The Beta will be available for download on the Xbox Marketplace between October 11th and October 12th. Once you have the beta downloaded, you'll be able to play immediately! Once online, we highly recommend the following activities to get the most out of this Open Beta period:

Create Your Character - Construct the perfect avatar with the robust Character Creation tool that enables players to change their character's body shape and dimensions, hairstyle and color, facial structure and features, and more!

Meet New People - Head out to the lobby and meet new people! Visit various shops for weapons, clothing and other items and then join or create a squad to embark on missions with new friends.

Explore the Universe - With three expansive planets to explore, discover the adventures that lie ahead on Parum, Neudaiz, and Moatoob.

My Room - Create your personal online space by adding items and elements from your adventures, and decorating your My Room with various themes and wallpaper. In here, your Partner Machinery is able to create new weapons and items for you to use in battle, trade with friends, or sell for a profit. Players can also exchange Partner Cards and visit friends in their My Room!

Customize Your Look - Head to one of the various Clothing or Parts shops located across the Universe and outfit your character with the newest styles.

Try Different Job Types - Speak to the Guardian Representative located on the fifth floor of the Guardian's Colony to freely change between the three class types: Hunter, Ranger, and Force.

Create and Sell Items - Craft items from the base materials you find during your adventures using your Partner Machinery. You can even sell these items within player-run Shops!

-----------

So?
Anybosy else plan to jump in on that?

I hope this kinda thing happens often with console MMO's
Last edited by kaos on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:12 am

lol why not
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:00 am

But wheres Shenume 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:35 am

With MMO's being so popular now, I think it will be necessary for all new ones to do something like this. As you know, they are incredibly complicated and they cannot really have much idea whether it'll work under extremely heavy load until they try it. In the past, the load probably built up quite gradually but now it's likely to be more instantaneous.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm still up in the air about this game. It was pay-to-play, then it wasn't, now it's pay-to-play again last I heard. Needless to say, that's a big factor in whether or not I get the game, especially considering I just picked up FFXI for 360 and have been getting back into that.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:06 pm

that was my biggest issue with the game too.

maybe the beta will convince me its worth paying for.
but I doubt it.

I'm looking at this as a week long free trial pretty much.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:45 am

DELAYED.

and worse yet with no specific date.

just some lame "very soon" crap.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:34 am

THb if you don't have to pay for the upkeep of the server they have to release and expansion on a 6monthly basis to keep afloat, running costs would be huge and no money to spend on development.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:07 pm

yeah. I know, they have to make money to cover operating costs one way or another.

its just that you pay for these things monthly, and who's to say you'll be interested for too long?
some of them try to keep you interested by making advancement a slow process. but then its like the expect you to start waking up early and going to bed late, just to gain a level. it gets rediculous.

the mmo genre as a whole needs to change.
advencment and new skills just doent seem tangible enough for me to play past a certain point.

I thought guildwars may have had somthing with the arena. however its tied way to close to the basic game that it doesnt matter how good a fighter / tactiction or whatever you are, you cant advance unless you do so in the basic grind game first.

grinding sucks
or atleast the way most games go about it does.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 pm

but every mmo ever has had grind.
Last edited by Mik on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:41 pm

which is a more than awsome reason to change it.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:32 pm

ok "this weekend" is now the word on the street.

I bet its friday.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:12 am

Its here
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:38 pm

The game has barely changed in 7 years

the character creation is ok.

the controls are stiff, the camera is stiff.
the controls are also a bit confusing

melee combat feels like a slow and broken 3rd person action game.
ranged combat wouldnt be so bad...if you could move. and the shoot button wasnt X

and over all its a simple dungeon crawler.

definatly not worth buying and certainly not worth paying a monthly fee for.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:25 pm

that was not fun...