Games With Good REplay value

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:41 am

Games seem to be getting shorter these days (which could be a good thing in some instances) and they also seem to be losing their edge for replay value. However, I have come across a few gems. Like Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS Lite. I actually enjoy playing the online part of the game, but can that be considered replay value?

Games like DBZ Budokai don't have much replay value (they become pretty obselete after they come out), but a game like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, and MK all seem to be fun after a while. Some games try to give you incentives to replay (harder difficultly level, added levels, new levels), but some just fall really short because the initial game took too long to play or just didn't have that addictive gameplay that would make you want to play again. I LOVED playing Chrono Trigger again and again because you could keep all your weapons and levels . ..and even C. Cross was good because you could use the fast foward function.

So what games have you enjoyed playing over and over again? And which games really sucked for a second time thru?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:14 am

Fast forward function? Never heard of that before! But I actually did use something like that in Chrono Trigger and FFVI because I was playing them on an emulator. Leveling up was often just a case of holding down the A button and ~. Weee.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:58 pm

I agree replay value is dwindling.
but its not a bad thing

to be honest lots of these games you dont even wanna play second time
not cuzz theyre bad. but cuzz once its enuff

then theirs games that give you an incitive to replay over again.
but is a single solitary new costume change for the main character worth a 17 hour recap?

It can still be done. but it think its going to be for your smaller games.

with youre newer games you kinda do have replay value, however its not really replaying the game at all.

in most cases you play the game as a different character, or a different way completely or with some other whole game changing element added on. so technicly while you are replaying the same story, your gameplay has shifted (somtimes drasticly) from the first play thru.

I wouldnt so much call that a replay. but more an extention to the game.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:06 pm

most of the advance wars series have great replay value.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:15 pm

a Good movie has no replay value persay but I'd still watch it again, I games are kinda like that, the ones where you have to complete 9005 times to unlock the hidden dragon fo death can suck my balls.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:48 pm

you never know... games are getting more and more interactive these days.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:53 pm

I really hate when games offer you this cool unlockable.

or atleast it sounds cool

but then by the time you go thru the process of unlocking it, its completely useless to you.

were going to give you the super hyper mega power armor that makes you invincible!

(but first you have to build your base character up so that nothing could hurt him any way.)
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:07 pm

I hate any game that just gives you silly screen shots or concept art as bonus'. They suck. I feel like the game developers are laughing at me. "HAHAHAHA, YOU JUST BEAT THE DARK DEMON OF ETERNITY AND NOW WE GIVE YOU THIS! A PICTURE!"

Games I can replay:
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Soul Reaver 1+2 (despite there being nothing to unlock, the story is so awesome I love being reminded of it)
  • Abe's Oddysee + Exodus
  • Munch's Oddysee
  • FFVII + FFVIII
  • Tekken 3-5
The rest I can finish one and be done with.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:35 am

Actually, I think the overall trend for replay value in games is getting better. With online gameplay become ever more the standard, you get a different experience every time you play. I've been playing Halo 2 every week for 2 years now.

But as far as single player experiences go, Ninja Gaiden has a lot of replay value if you're interested in mastering all the game has to offer. Most Nintendo first party titles keep me hooked for awhile, Resident Evil 4 was a fun one to replay. There's a lot of stuff, I'm just tired so I can't think of many titles off-hand. You just have to look around a bit.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:15 am

I guess as a second part of this question I'd like to ask if there are any games these days that make a player want to master the game, IE get max levels, find all the weapons, etc. And example would be like getting max levels in FFVII, or getting all of the weapons in the gamecube version of Soul Calibur 2. Do we just rush through games these days? Or does anybody actually stop to smell the roses so to speak, and just walk around enjoying the atmosphere of the game?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:20 am

I completed FF9 at level 65 but couldn't repeat the feat.

My characters in FF7 where so ridiclously over powered that it was impossible to lose.

I really liked all the cool unlockable artwork and interviews in LOK: Defiance and when you completed the game they unlocked it all so if you missed some you got it all, I thought it was cool so of behind the scenes extra's.

Plus all the ingmae cinematics where replayable, I can't express how awesome that was for me.
Last edited by Mik on Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:59 pm

i maxed out my character in Morrowind, but that isn't an amazing feat exactly. You pretty much have to to finish the game.

Trying to do the same in oblivion, and i'm getting there, but they have some kick ass monsters in this one that i think will be difficult no matter how much i level. Plus, the leveling system is pretty strange...