Holy eff!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:35 pm

It's nothing new though it's probably one of the best attempts at making such a kit so far. Ever heard of Net Yaroze? That was for the Playstation. I played a couple of simple but fun games made using that. This sounds bigger though.

In any case, I already know how to make games the hard way. :P I just don't have the time.

*mourns over the perpetual idleness of his pet project Muratti* :(
Last edited by Chewi on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 pm

yeah this is been big news today and yesterday.
weve had a copy of the previous XNA since about...whenever the last gdc was. and have known about since the begining of last year.
getting copies has always been free, to an extent.

this is more of an extention to the not already established dev teams out there.

I think the draw back to this is now everybody thinks their just gonna make a game and get it on live arcade now despite their lack of knowledge in game development or design. and ofcourse your going to see lots of blatant rip offs.

the great news is that its going to make things a whole lot more accessible for those of us who've already been working toward somthing like this for a while. i know of 3 small companies here that are going to love this.

hopefully they have some kind of quality control thing intact. otherwise youre gonna see lots of crap.

like some coders first tic tack toe game
or worse yet
DBZ tic tac toe.

Im also expecting to see a lot of advertising
some of it good some of it bad

Good - any game cartoon network wants to make.
Bad - games made be soda companys, cereal companies, and snack food companies.
Last edited by kaos on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:44 pm

i heard net yaroze costed $750 tho
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:26 pm

Or free using the non legal ways
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:35 am

Heres the thing

Mod communities do exsist, so this is good for them .. kinda.

However most of them are side projects to their real jobs/ lives and everyone starts off with the buzz of ideas and cool concepts that are never fully realised. There are some notable exceptions Counterstrike for example. I think if current devs featured more on making the best game ever everytime then they could cry 'I'm burned out, Jim' but some of this contrived shit is total cack, do we really need a new FIFA every 9 months do we really need a sequel to a series that has a LONG time ago lost it's legs and it's heart, we wouldn't have any problems if they look at what they produce and not be assholes *cough*EA*cough*.

A game as fully realised as Halo 2 .. lol ...lol lol so a balant rip-off of several concepts and character models (Starship troopers and character models from Doom/ Quake) with a really retarded storyline. I think what they need to do is focus on what made gaming fun 20 years ago without the 3 trillion polygon count and ask themselves why that's missing now.

It doesn't take alot to make a home movie, all this is the home movie of the gaming world imo, I seen a few cool things that got done on the cheap but I wouldn't hold my breath for seeing it in the cinema.
Last edited by Mik on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.