Games you played Recently....

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Re: Games you played Recently....

Post by kaos » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Decay

Might be the best indie game on Xbox.
its real oldsckool, kinda like Myst.

kinda like those escape the room games, but with a dash of Horror thrown in.

parts 1 & 2 are about 5 bucks together.
part 3 should be out pretty soon.

at least check it the demo.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 am

Fable 3

Seems like a lot of people don't like it.
They also keep making elder scrolls comparisons.

I love it the though.
It's a nice neat solid product, where as the elderscroll type games are just a directionless mess IMO.
I can't decide if if I like the fable style or dragonage/masseffect style of rpg better.

But I do like the "choose by doing" method rather than the "choose a response from a list" method.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:32 am

Call of Duty Black Ops is pretty neat so far.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:27 am

Miiiiiiinecraaaaaft. Though I've spent longer packaging it up for Gentoo Linux than playing it. Typical. :roll:
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:26 pm

What's the deal on that game?
I'm really put off by all the talk about it.
It's like bubonic or wow or somthing.
It makes wonder if most people are into it genuinely or if they only are because everyone else is.

But since it's claimed you, I gotta know what the hells going on.

All I really know of it is looks like pixelated legos, but not nearly as complex.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Actually it is quite complex, at least in terms of its gameplay. You mine for resources and combine them to create various tools. It is done is such a way that you can figure many of these out for yourself intuitively but the wiki reveals just how many different materials there are and what their unique properties are. But to what end? It is actually very satisfying to build a big fortress to protect yourself from the monsters that come out at night. I've seen YouTube videos where people have built incredibly grand structures that are, despite the "squareness" of it all, really quite beautiful. It's a lot like playing with Lego in that respect.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it is an MMO. Even though the hype makes it sound like one, most servers only have a small handful of players. Ours is currently only used by Marna and I. There is also single player but that can get a little lonely. The game world is 8x the surface of the Earth but there is a lot of fun to be had in a small area.

An example of the unusual gameplay aspects is The Nether, which I haven't seen yet but can't wait to try out. Obsidian is one of the rarest materials in the game but you can create it yourself by combining water and lava. Even after reading the wiki, that is an interesting challenge in itself. If you have enough blocks, you can create a gateway out of obsidian that becomes a portal to The Nether, which is essentially the underworld, filled with lava and monsters. Every step taken in The Nether corresponds to 8 steps in the real world so if you create two portals, you can use them to travel a great distance very quickly.

Another crazy feature is the ability to create logic circuits. It is possible to build a giant calculator in its purest form using redstone dust and a shit load of land. Why you would want to, I'm not sure, but some simpler circuits could possibly have something interesting uses. This takes me back to first year Computer Science.

All this may leave you wondering what the point is. Some servers (including ours, for now) even have the monsters turned off because the pure creative element is entertaining enough on its own. It's also quite annoying when a Creeper comes along and blows a hole in the side of your fortress. Players can fight against each other but this isn't as much fun as you might expect. It is far too easy to destroy things and when you put so much effort into creating them, you don't get a good feeling out of destroying someone's fortress when you know they're probably busy doing the same to yours.

There is far more to the game than I have covered here. It is essentially what you make it.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:34 pm

There are several games of this type, Minecraft is just the most famous, it's a Skinner box in it's rawest form, I just don't get it, it not my idea of fun.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 pm

But it has cake!

Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:26 am

Why didn't you say say so! game of the year!

unless.... the.... cake is a LIE!!!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:32 am

GEARS OF WAR 3

I thought it was the best of the series...till I went back and refreshed/replayed Gears Of War 2.

Gameplay: Gears3 hands down.
Story: They pulled so much shit out of their asses on this one. but i guess thats what happens when you try and clean up a bad story with another bad story...you get a nice neat tidy pile of bullshit.

its still bullshit, but at least its tidy.

SAINTS ROW THE THIRD

Fun as hell.
but crippled compared to Saints Row 2

story went ridiculous from the beginning of the game, but at least that set the tone for the rest of it.
unfortunately, their serious moments suffered for it, cuzz you couldn't take em seriously.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:11 pm

I very rarely get chance to play videogames these days :( Though, when I do I tend to binge on them for a week, then stop afterwards.

But shit considering I'm studying to become a games programmer.

Last game I played was Last of Us on the PS3 (which I had to borrow the console and game in order to play). This has quite easily been GOTY for me, though the pool of available titles in that category is small anyway.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 pm

I played ff8, last week, seems alright :D
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 am

Mik wrote:I played ff8, last week, seems alright :D
I kept meaning to post about a year ago that I played right through FF4. Now maybe it was because I was playing it on my phone with the sound off but I was really unimpressed. Heavily clichéd story, even by FF standards. Wooden characters. Boring gameplay. It felt like I was just trying to tick a box. Obviously it is one of the earlier titles but I'd always got the impression that it was a classic. I've not got anything against the SNES titles in general, FF6 was fantastic and Chrono Trigger is one of my all time favourites.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:50 pm

The quality of the games nosedived after 9, people love X, I have no idea why.

I couldn't really get into anything pre 7.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Blitzball. Honestly. I still play that today. I just love it. I liked FF8's card game too, though.

EDIT:

Holy shit, is this the first time FF has been mentioned on Aura in how many years?!