tombraider...

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:45 pm

Holy shit!

I just downlioaded the demo of the newest tombraider game.
Its been in the news a bit.

from the reading you read that, they have physics now, they remodelled lara, the graphics are going to be better, and the gameplay is going to be better...

its all a lie

its the same damn game it was when it came out on ps1.

I had some hope that this newest one would actually turn out well.
all the time between it and the 1st game and all the new developments in the game industry since then...

hope crushed!

the devs for this game have learned nothing.

graphics...
sure the graphics are better...than the last game.
but they look pretty shitty.

Well the rock formations look amazing actually, but the character models are just crap. I's say they looked about like the models in UT2k3.

I can see angles in laras cheekbones.
the enemies...are clones of each other.

usually id allow them to get away with that. but when you kill the same guy 9 times in a row? please!?
most games atleast have variations of the enemy characters so it doesnt look too bad. this had none.

physics....
WHERE!?

half life 2 has them
oblivion has them
mercenaries has them
this game...fakes them.

everything still looks like scripted animation.
If there are physics in the game, then the laws driving it are written horribly wrong.

controls
its like somebody cut your thumbs off and super glues them back...on the wrong hands.

I thought catwoman was bad.
but this takes it.

theirs so many different ways to do the same damn thing....but only in certain situations. the controls layout in this games design document has to be about 6 pages long.

and the worst part is, she doesnt even do all that much.

10 years same game.

not only should you stay away from this game.
but if you buy this game, I will personally kick your ass.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:24 pm

i never intended on buying it. hell i've never been impressed by any tomb raider games
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:51 am

Ugh...I couldn't agree more on that. It's the exact same game as the first, just prettier. You didn't touch on the combat though, which is easily the most flame-worthy since it's the absolute most out-dated piece of crap ever. You move from side to side, to dodge enemy fire, hold down the trigger to fire from your pistols which magically have unlimited ammo, and then the targetting system takes care of the rest. Let's not forget the fact that Lara can take copious amounts of gunfire, and remain relatively unscathed. Hell, Master Chief takes more damage from bullets than she does. All in all, the combat is totally worthless, making the game little more than finding which ledge or which vine you need to jump onto to get to the next platform. And sadly, this is easily the most challenging part of the game.

Terrible.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:20 am

yeah, it's pretty bad when the challenge of the game consists of outsmarting the lousy controlls.