Quality gaming is coming back!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:13 am

ok...

so we got:
Graphics that near rival cinema quality CG
Wireless controllers, cuzz we're all lazy
HI defination visuals.
and dolby digital surround sound.

whats missing?

I mean I look at movies all these CG movies, and look back at all these real time games and its not much of a gap.

would anyone be surprised at all if a game actually looked like FF7AC?
doubt it. soon thats going to be pretty standard.

honestly do we need much more?
I think we're nearing a point (finally) were system specs and capabilities are hardley an issue.

maybe we'll finally see a good calm on the console war front
and even better see some much needed sparks in the developer war front.

when theirs no technical details to focus on youre left with the stuff that matters.
Story, Concept, Design, Originality, music, presentation, gameplay.

I think we'll be there within the next 3 years.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:44 pm

Eventually or atleast I pray to whatever gods there are, soon they will release that the long shit WILL make money if the ideas are good.

You've got the big cheese's like EA going round screaming 'AMAGAWD games will cost soo much more to make safe bets only kk thnx'

when in actual fact people are getting sick of sequels especailly this un-inspired over hyped map pack bullshit sequel trend we've been having lately, if you make the truly great game then it won't matter if the name behind it isn't household they will find out and it well sell, worth of mouth is actually far more likely to generate a sale than any magazine or website, why? cause you dick jockeys have bribed them soo much that only the truly woeful EVER get panned and the half decent get 80-90%.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:10 pm

I think about 3200x2000 is about the highest resolution you can get to before human eyes can't tell the difference so that's one aspect of graphics that won't need any improvement in a while. I don't think TVs can go that high anyway. We're still a long way from real-time realistic lighting though. Hell, we still can't even do realistic shadows in real-time. I'm not saying that all this is very important but there a still a lot of things that could be improved. In any case, I hope what you say is true.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:11 am

games are gonna die in 3 years and restart at the 8 bit era .... ok thats lie but i can dream.

But the only thing i get pissed about are the games are to easy, and the gameplay is next to none. And if one game does good, everyone joins in. Like i could acutally name most of the big mmorpgs ... now theres new ones coming out each month. Whats it this month ... RF Online, a koren one ... i heard its all shiny but the gameplay isnt up to much and the quests are next to being like Starwars Galaxies lol.

I hope something does happen. Am not in to the big shiny graphics and HD, give me a rev any day.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:45 am

you know what everyone? you might actually not have a bad idea, now think about this ok? sacruficing games graphically for gameplay and length. do you have any idea how long games could become? probably a thousand hours and if they learn how to make full out seris like in anime or television seris' that would be fucking awsome.
Last edited by Drabe,ThePirateking on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:25 am

All I can really say is time will tell.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:52 am

Has anyone heard of Spore?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:45 am

I think i have...

but I heard about it from you....asking if anybody had heard of it.
this is like some kinda weird dejavu post.

*looks up spore.....probably for the 2nd time*

EDIT: maybe i was wrong.

This spore?
http://spore.ea.com/

Looks interesting. I'd have expected somthing likethis to come from Lion Head tho.
Last edited by kaos on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:44 am

I saw that it had ea in the link ... not gonna look
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:13 pm

looks interesting, i'm not an RTS guy though

found a video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=83...0559198&q=spore
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:45 pm

yea, i just got linked to it last week. It acutally looks really good ... for ea. It just looks very clever
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:15 am

EA made The Sims and this is a similar idea. It at least tries to answer the question of what our excess processor power will do when perfect graphics and sound become ubiquitous. Instead of improving detail we improve scale.

It looks interesting to me, but sadly it will probably require a better computer than my current.
Last edited by Evil Matt on Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:47 am

spore seems like a suped up evo, the one from the snes. but with just some minor improvements like colonization. as well, after watching that video i want that game. any heads ups on release dates?
Last edited by Drabe,ThePirateking on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:18 am

Who'd want to play a thousand hour game if the gameplay isn't there ... not me. And I think in the near future you'll have games that go on perpetually forever, where you can make different choices all the time to affect the game and the game world. And most games will probably go online and become only online .. and in the next 10 years you'll see the extinction of single player games altogether.

I've yet to play a MMORPG, and I probably won't anytime in the near future (though I'd like to). I still believe that Nintendo has the superior staff of at least making games fun and enjoyable instead of just super flashy. That's where my money is for the future. Just look at how well the DS is doing!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:24 am

Your right. Single player games are getting scarce and most of the games being developed right now...are mmo games.

I'v done a bit a research on it. even talked to mik about it.

however....
I think that this is also something that more than a few game develops are realizing. and I gurantee. if a developer see's a hole he's going to try his best to fill it

I think that when online gaming becomes the norm(soon), yeah most games will have online functionality. however i think you'll see a lot of double sided games...like splinter cell and metal gear(from what i hear...its actually probably pretty lame) that operate well on both the single player and multiplayer realm.

and some games are jost better Offline.

for instance if you want to use the gaming platform to tell a story at the pace of the player. I'd suggest that you do it through an offline mode. Pace is somthing that cannot be done online...(thats why online games dont have a puase button)

second, if you think the gameplay might carry well an online mode. that you should an online mode that does not require heavy story elements, or has modified story elements appropriate for online gaming.

This is somthing your going to be seeing immediatly....Dirge of Cerberus.

single player games will not become extinct.
EVERBODY plays solitare.

nintendo isnt going anywhere...
Notice how when peolpe talk console war they say Sony and Microsoft. and tend to leave out nintendo. at first that seems bad.

but I'm willing to be that anybody who is going to buy two next gen systems...which ever two systems they choose...Nintendos will be the most likely second.

youre going to find more people who have an 360 and a rev, or a ps3 and a rev, than you will find people who'll have a 360 and a ps3.....and if you do find people who have both those systems...chances are theyre picking up a rev anyway.