PSP or DS?

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:32 am

So which do you like better/prefer? I'm starting to think the DS rocks more every day. FF1-FF4 for starters, and Mario Kart DS! How cool is that? I'm gonna buy one next year.
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:31 am

I have both and luv both of them.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't own one, but i think i'd prefer a DS. The touch screen is just brilliance

i think Xenoraven will probably agree with me on this one.
Scorn
Whelp

Post by Scorn » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:24 pm

well i gave my ds in for a psp :P why? well:

DS: bought it at lanch, so there were do good games at all. The touch screen is pretty interesting and all, but actually after a while, it's not very good. It's new, it's exciting, but not all so pratical (must admit, it makes first person shooters fun :D) But like rpgs? you don't need a touch screen. It's multi-player is ok, but not as good as psp due to it's lack of wi-fi. And it's backwords compatable, which is good, but doesn't play Gameboy or Gameboy color games, and that makes me and my friends mad >< we still love our classics

PSP: Well to start with, better graphics :P sorry DS. I would also push for better lanuch of games (lets keep square since they release games for both, of course there not remaking games for psp, they're making new ones :P) Nintendo, which i do love, only has it's self, their own branded games. PS just has a larger selection (who doesn't want to play Katamari Damaci on the go!) Then of course it can dl music, videos (before new update... emulators!) and anime. Also has UMDS which i'm not all that big on, i tend to play games or listen to music then wacth a movie, but ppl do love them. Then the Wi-FI is awesome! Connected twisted metal online and was playing with hundreds of people :D...Lastly the large screen, having to fix your eyes on 2 screens i found a little diffeicult from time to time. PSP has a huge screen! very nice ;)

So yea, i'm sure ppl will rant at me but those are my reasons for taking the PSP, i may have stuck with DS if it had ANY good games at launch, but not there are a few good ones out, but non beat my Grand Theft Auto :P
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Neither!! GP2X!! :D
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:29 pm

I definately prefer the DS. The touch screen is brilliant, like Ben said. It allows for a lot more freedom in development, and a lot more innovative gameplay. It also has a much better line up of games at this point, and has some great ones on the way as well. Maybe I'll get more into it later, but it stays like this for now. =P
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:48 am

I feel like shedding the light on a few misconceptions that Scorn had.

First off, the DS has WiFi capabilty and has had it from the start, well before the PSP. If you have a wireless network at your house, you can play online against anybody else with a DS. Mario Kart DS takes advantage of this function greatly, among other games. And not needing The Touch screen/extra screen? How about ALWAYS having the menu open so you can quickly use items? Or having the map on while you're running in the other screen so you know where you're going? It's GREAT for RPGs. If you ask me, they have better RPGs on the DS than the PSP. However, most of them are remakes . . . which is still cool! But the PSP is getting FF7: Crisis Core sometime next year . . . And about playing your GBC/GB games, can't you still play those on your Gamecube with that adapter that fits below the system and allows you to play it on the big screen via-SuperGameBoy mode?

I do agree that the PSP has better graphics, but most of their games really lack the depth that a lot of DS games have. I find it AWESOME that they are bringing out old PSOne games for it (BOF3 for instance). And I really like that it's more of a multimedia system that allows you to do more than just play games. But when you put focus elsewhere, you lose something in quality. Personally if I was at home the PSP would be great, but when I'm out and about in the country, the DS is highly more entertaining as a stand alone game system, even if you can't watch movies or listen to music on it. I think the further both of these systems come along, we'll see a greater divide on both types of games and playabilty. Many people will perhaps buy both because of the varying degree and different demographic each represents. But I think in the long run we're goign to see that the DS is more innovative and more fun than it's counterpart. The PSP is the best Portable System to challenge Nintendo to date though. Sony did a good job, and they will attract new gamers that never played GBA's to the video game market.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:53 am

Come on, this is where you're supposed to say "What's the GP2X??" :P It's not some really old thing, it actually came out more recently than the DS and the PSP. I'll be getting one.
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:13 pm

Chewi wrote:Come on, this is where you're supposed to say "What's the GP2X??" :P It's not some really old thing, it actually came out more recently than the DS and the PSP. I'll be getting one.

Sounds like a paperweight . . which is what it's gonna be in a few months. YOu know it's true!!
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:39 pm

No way man. This thing can play games from pretty much any system, right up to, and maybe even including, the Playstation. NES, Master System, SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis, Gameboy, Amiga, WHATEVER! Plus some PC games that aren't too heavy in the 3D department and don't need too many keys. It already has Quake, for instance. Get a big enought memory card and you could actually fit every single SNES game ever on at once. No joke. It also makes a fantastic movie and music player. It can play DivX, XviD, MP3, WMA, OGG... whatever the fuck you like really. Oh and you can plug it into the TV.

How does it do all this? Linux, naturally. :D

http://www.gbax.com/viewgp2x.html
http://www.gbax.com/aboutgp2x.html

Because it is primarily fueled by the community, there could be stuff coming out for it for a very long time. You'd be amazed how big these communities can be, especially around a fun piece of kit like this. It also means I could make my own games for it. B)
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April
Enforcer

Post by April » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:36 pm

Death wrote:I have both and luv both of them.
That must be nice for you.

I can't afford to spend that kind of money on either atm. But..I have toyed around with them both before. And...I like the DS better.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:58 am

Oh I see James ... it's like a massive emulator then that just works on memory cards? What kid? Flash Memory or what?
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:02 am

get a laptop.
Scorn
Whelp

Post by Scorn » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:21 am

get a laptop.
i agree :P
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:25 pm