Games these days . . .

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:34 am

Aside from your Onimushas and Metal Gear Solids, and the occasional Final Fantasy, don't video games suck ass these days? There are far too many uninspiring, tripe games out there, and WAY too many sequels. I was looking through an American video game magazine for the PS2 called PSM and about half of the new games coming out were WWII shooters, or a shooter of some type. This market is way too oversaturated, and the same can be said of the "urban" looking games suck as Midnight Club, GTA, and a few other games that are up and coming. Gimmicks aside, has there truly been any original games this year?

I'm really looking forward to Shadow of the Colossus, or Wanda and the Colossus as it's called here in Japan. Truly breathtaking graphics and amazing game design with a great gameplay idea. If you ask me, it's a breath of fresh air compared to the library that's become increasingly stagnant (albeit great) for the PS2. I've started thinking, and I believe that Nintendo has the greatest selection of games out there, and I'm grateful they are creating a system that you can play all their games on. Xbox, in my belief, is going down the same path as the PS2, and don't even get my started on computer games. Yeah there are great freaking games on the PC, but they are all the same type, I mean, have you really seen a new game format or idea come into the world since MMORPGs? You can change these worlds, improve the graphics, and patch the hell out of a game, but it's always the same old same old with a different mask.

I'd like to hear what other people have to say about this.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:58 am

Ive noticed it too.
For some odd reason FPS games seem to be on the rise...again.

I never understood how or why any developer would want to even bother making an fps game if they couldnt add some new technology to the engine.
personally I think its one of the more boring genres.

the urban thing you mentioned is pretty crap as it is.
first time around it was cool. but now any urban game out there is only out there to try and make easy money off of overblown stereotypes. of all the urban games out there not a single one of them was produced by an urban developer,

I think 3rd person gaming is the way to go. I still see huge areas that need improving. however the 3rd person genre is very slow to inovate.

If you look at one of the first 3rd person action games Tomb Raider. you'll notice that its been copied multipled times and sequeled to infinty with no real improvments.
I would say the next leve of improvement came about what feels like 10 years later with Devil may cry 1.

but the process is repeating.
its also being sequeled to death with no improvements and copied to death with no improvements.

The common mindset in the industry seems to be to wait for any groundbreaking game to release, then try your best to duplicated completely.
the game industy seems to be closely focused on only a few genres cuzz of this.

fps (done to death)
3rd action (done to death)
stealth (done to there)
rpg (some of these atleast try to be different...but most just feel like crap)

whats interesting to me is that the Fighting genre seems to be WIDE OPEN however. nobody is touching it.
Tekkens and Soulcalibur seem to be the top series...and both are made by the same group.

Hopefully we'll see a revival one one other genre tho.
the "beat em up"
Urban Reign and Beat Down
are both attempts at it, So far from what i've read neither of them is quite there yet..
However Final Fight is still on the way and some interesting detailes about Def Jam 3 might imply that it goes there as well.

anyway. saturated is the perfect word for the industries current state.
theirs too many developers out there trying to make an instant hit, and not enuff trying to make a decent game. youd think that larger companies who have no money issues would try and venture to make new experimental game projects, but OMFG E-GAY! Sports is a perfect example of how wrong that is. OMFG E-GAY! Sports is a shameless dupe machine..
Last edited by kaos on Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:46 am

The games industry is going to be just like the film industry 1-2 good games coming along maybe in a whole year and the rest being utter shite.

These people seem to lack vision, rather than take a chance they'd rather hit singles all day rather than smash the bastard out of the park.

EA and to some extent EIDOS seem to rush games jsut to get them released which is imo almost commendable as nothing pisses me off more than Square-release style fiasco's. I SAID ALMOST, but they release sub par games and just expect tto get away with it.

I can think of only one games compny worth a damn and that's blizzard
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:35 am

I totally agree that the fighting genre is wide open! Add tons of of replay value, some cool story modes and weapons, and you got a hit on your hands! And I also believe that Adventure games still have ways to go too. Take games like Link for the Gamecube. Freaking great! And Even Mario was a lot of fun this time around. Nintendo did a great job with keeping their games fresh new. I loved the Metroid series, the Mario series, Super Smash Bros. and lots of other stuff they had. Too bad more gamers didn't flock to Nintendo. I really hope the Revolution brings gamers back to how sweet Nintendo is. I don't think the RPG market is saturated either, but rather there are WAY too many SquarEnix games these days. Other companies need to make them too . . .
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:04 pm

the beat 'em up seems to have been replaced by 3rd person action games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden

i'm not complaining, but i'd like to see some multiplayer action in there. nothing tops the feeling i got playing Double Dragon or TMNT2 with my brother on the good 'ole NES.

and what about clever? there's that weird game where you roll a bunch of junk into a ball, that seemed original, and there's the whole KOTR spin on RPG's, but other then that, what have we really seen that's new?

i think the revolution's new controller will help out TONS in that department. I can't rave about it enough. Nintendo seemed to always be the only company willing to try original ideas. Remember how many parifrials there were for the NES? true, some of them sucked (like ROB, the power glove, and U force) but some of them were great, like the pad (DDR predicessor) and the zapper. i REALLY miss zapper games. every time i want to play something i have to find a friggin arcade (tough enough these days) and pop a few bucks into either Time Crisis or one of the many many MANY area 51 clones out there.

I WANT THE GUN GAMES BACK DAMMIT.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:00 pm

time crisis was poor and LOTR is an EGAY product which is crap
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:37 pm

bah, i'll admit it was way too easy

but i've been STARVING for a shooting gallery game. you know which one kicked ass was the one in diehard trilogy. only reason for buying the game.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:02 pm

sorry for the double post, but i've just found a title johnny is SURE to love

leave it to rockstar

http://www.rockstargames.com/thewarriors/
homicidalluggage
Whelp

Post by homicidalluggage » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:06 am

on first glance, it seems like a bird's eye strategy game like c&c. it could prove of interest if it is. if it isn't however, then it seems rockstar games are playing the GTA card again with yet another sub standard crime sim.
GaryMull98
Alive

Post by GaryMull98 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:23 pm

The thing i hate about games is it now interactive movies, there no gameplay like old games, who needs x hours of cut scenes?

as for the crappy storylines now, ff8 was a joke. After playing ff7 i was expecting a great game, but was sadly let down.

for real games you need to look at the companies that no longer exisit like bullfrog, theme park, theme hospital and dungeon keeper. These are classics and still have a lot of people playing them
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:12 pm

I'd say the games industry is more like the music industry, only that in the music industry it's not too expensive for independant artists to actually produce something.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:45 pm

Everyone in this thread needs to go buy a Gamecube and a DS, if they haven't already. If you have broadband, I'd suggest investing in an XBOX, and XBOX Live as well. There's still some great games being made that people are missing out on because it's hard to filter them through all the mediocre crap that's coming out.

Metroid Prime 2 - My favorite game, and in my opinion, one of the best games of all time.
Resident Evil 4 - Can't say much about the PS2 version, haven't played it, but the Gamecube version is amazing.
Tales of Symphonia - Great RPG
Viewtiful Joe 2 - Old school style beat em up, with modern features, and crazy cel-shaded animation. =P
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Speaks for itself. Anyone that makes fun of the graphics needs to sit down and play the game for an hour or so. Ben, this means you. >=(
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - Pretty good tactics RPG.

Mario Kart DS: Online Mario Kart? What reasons are there NOT to buy this?
Metroid Prime Pinball - Sure pinball sounds lame, but this game is one of the most fun games I own. It kicks the crap out of Sonic Spinball. Don't believe me? Try it.
Meteos - Great puzzle game. Genius concept made possible by the DS's touch screen.
Kirby Canvas Curse - Fun game, and great way to hone your touch screen skills for upcoming games like...
Metroid Prime: Hunters - Sure, it's not out yet, but it's Metroid, and it's online multiplayer.
Resident Evil...something - Not out yet either, but it's a remake of the original in the style of Resident Evil 4. The touch screen will be used for aiming.
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble - It's Viewtiful Joe! On the go! OMG That rhymed.
Metroid: Zero Mission - It's GBA game, yeah. But it's a fantastic GBA game. Your DS plays them, so I'll include it.
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - See above.

Halo 2 - Tied for the game below this one for providing the best online console experience ever. You can quote me on this.
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - This one makes great use of the XBOX Live feature. Co-op missions and Spies vs. Mercs are AMAZING.
Ninja Gaiden - Simply the best action slasher ever made. The maker of this thread mentioned Onimusha. This game destroys Onimusha, and DMC, and GoW, and just about every other slasher you can think of.
Dead or Alive Ultimate - My favorite fighting game in the whole world. I've heard SCII is better, but I still love my DOA. Sure kicks the crap out of Tekken. =D

There's some I'm leaving out, but this is more than enough stuff to keep you busy for quite awhile. And, if you're not looking to get a new system...well I know there's some good tactics RPG's out for the PS2. Namely Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, and Phantom Brave. I hear both are excellent. There's also RE4 and VJ2 for PS2. And while I'm disappointed in how the PS2 version of RE4 came about, it's still there if you want to play it and don't want to buy a Gamecube. I may get hell from Sony fans, but I don't think there's a whole lot of good titles on the PS2. All the must-haves are on the GC, the XBOX, and the DS. At least, that's my opinion. Ah, I almost left out Dragon Quest VIII though. There's a PS2 one worth picking up.

*Stops before he rambles on even more.* >_>
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:15 am

What sucks is that my bro has my GC on loan from me back in the states. I have the PS2. I'm going to buy a few new games when I visit the USA this Xmas, but I won't get my baby back until next summer! I look forward to the new Zelda game (Twilight Princess), and I really wanted to play MP2: Echoes. I want to play just about every game you listed! If you ask me, Nintendo has a much better overall library than the other two systems. Can anybody deny that?
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:26 am

Some of the games that we play need sequels, however, there are alot that just don't need it. I love the Hitman series (damn I cannot believe the dude is gonna be played by Vin Diesel he's such a pussy), adore Final Fantasy (except X2 ><), I cannot stop playing Mortal Kombat, Onimusha, Resident Evil, Legend of Zelda (Link rox!) even Halo. Damn, these games do it for me. Hitman: Contract might be a bit flaky but it's a good game to practice on before playing the others (sounds a bit backward as it's the more recent one). I should know! Trying to beat Tom on this game is fucking impossible.

(I also like GTA, but only GTA3, and possibly Vice City.)
Last edited by Squirrel on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:55 am

elderscrolls games

it's like GTA meets Final Fantasy