Back to school... Old School!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
cenee
Enforcer

Post by cenee » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:42 pm

Since having finished the second installment of the Xenosaga series, (which sucked btw) I've been a little lost for games. It's not like I don't have at least 20 games that I can play, or finish... it's just that none of them have any appeal to me right now. So I was browsing the game section at Blockbuster video, and I discovered the Gamecube game, Paper Mario.

Paper Mario IS a BLAST! It has my FULL recommendation! If you want a fun trip down memory lane I highly suggest you give this game a go. With all of our favorite characters it's a game that's chalked full old school fun. But unfortunately for me I couldn't afford a 3rd rerent. It's a crying shame too, considering that I was a chapter and a half away from the ending. :-(

So to fill the void left by Paper Mario, guess what I did?

I busted out the SNES, baby!

And guess what I found to tide me over?

SUPER MARIO RPG - LEGEND OF THE SEVEN STARS!!!

Talk about old school goodness! I forgot I even had that game. As I was going through the old games I was thinking about plugging in some Donkey Kong, then my eyes caught onto Mario and that was all she wrote. I started a new game yesterday, and could only play for about 30 minutes, but I learned one thing rather quickly... boy am I rusty! :lol:

But I imagine I'll get the hang of it soon enough. The one thing that bugs me the most right now is the lack of an analog stick. How funny cuz I remember when I first touched one, I fricken hated it! And the controller is rather... small? *giggles* That cracks me up too, cuz I absolutely hated the PS controllers when they first came out. They seemed monsterous in my hands. Funny how quickly we adapt.

So who still has their SNES, and if you were to hook it up and play a game right now, what game would that be?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:33 pm

I never had a real SNES but Marna and I have been playing Harvest Moon recently.
mog
Trainee

Post by mog » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:06 pm

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV is in there right now. Haven't played it in awhile.

Not sure what I'd play right now. Since I don't have a craving for anything, I'd imagine it'd be Tetris Attack.

It was the second Paper Mario you were playing, I'd imagine.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:03 am

You know it's funny we only have two SNES games... we used to rent all of ours. We only have Secret of Mana and Mario Lost levels.

Man.... we suck

But then my mum didn't like buying us games.

I'm actually wanting to replay FF7 before i watch advent children though.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:18 am

I want to play it and have for the last three days, but I've had other shit to do and when I had some free time ... I played a Call of Duty scrim and then played some Warcraft :/

Last console games I played where Mech Assualt 2: Lone Wolf and StarWars KOTR2 and that was only cause I won an XboX and got some free games, they didn't hold me for long and that was like 8 months ago.

I can't go to old skool though I tried to play FF6 like a year ago, I gave it like 3 hours then got bored.

games I'm looking forawrd to are

FFXII and KH2 after that maybe MAYBE FF7:DC but nothing else after even sparks any interest
Last edited by Mik on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:59 pm

shit, you have the mario rpg? that's a rare game i think...

good one too.
cenee
Enforcer

Post by cenee » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:36 pm

mog wrote:It was the second Paper Mario you were playing, I'd imagine.
I'm not sure what that means. There's more than one Paper Mario?

I was playing the one we were talking about before. The one with the Glitz Arena. But it was a rental and time ran out so I couldn't finish. :(
Melana wrote:You know it's funny we only have two SNES games... we used to rent all of ours. We only have Secret of Mana and Mario Lost levels.
It's funny, I think there's probably one other person who has more games than I do and that would be Crystal. I was lucky in that I was a spoiled brat. My dad bought most of my early Atari, NES, & SNES games. He was as much of an addict at buying them as I was at playing.

...and I hear ya about FFVII. I'm starting to feel the itch myself.

Super Goat Weed wrote:shit, you have the mario rpg? that's a rare game i think...

good one too.
Yep, that would be the one. I'd forgotten I had it cause I never bought it. The one I had played years back was a rental. Then about 3 or 4 yrs back a friend of mine had given me some of his old games and that was one of them.

Lucky me. :)

Mik, what's the scoop on FFXII? I'm too lazy to look it up.
Last edited by cenee on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:03 pm

Release date is as flexialbe as rubber band it stretches on and on until finally, I snap :P

the director told everyone to piss off a while ago, that he wasn't releasing it until He was happy with it
mog
Trainee

Post by mog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:44 pm

Well, starting with the Colecovision, I've put 192 games up on my Gamespot collection.

Yes, Cenee, there are two Paper Marios. The first one was on N64. Paper Mario: TYD is only better because it incorporates more paper mechanics in the game and has the Glitz arena and the Train Stage. The original was very good.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:45 pm

There was a paper mario on the N64 right? I don't think it was released here. I still want to play it on the 'cube, but I'm waiting for the price to go down. Bought too many games recently.

I'll be playing through FF7 again soon. I have to atleast once a year.

EDIT: Posted same time as mog.
Last edited by Bogey on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:43 am

If I was going to pop in a cartridge I'd play Secret of Evermore. It got a bad rap but I kind of liked it.