Oddworld

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun May 29, 2005 12:09 pm

So, after spending a few weeks with only and X-Box to satisfy my gaming needs, I decided to rent a few games to play in and out of not doing much.

Firstly, I was in blockbuster and saw Oddworld: Munchs Oddysee. I had to get it, I'd played all the older Abe games, this was too much to turn down.

I wasn't disapointed, I could tell the game was pretty dated by now, but it was like taking a walk down memory lane, except memory lane had been kitted out into a 3D wonder world. Orgasmic.

Then later on, I saw the newest installment of the Oddworld quintology. Strangers Wrath. I decided this game must be played, the box fell off the shelf in front of me face up, even slided further infront of me when I thought of ignoring it, it was screaming "PLAY ME YOU SAD CUNT!"

So I rented this one too. I have to say, I was seriously impressed with the game. It combines first person mode and 3rd person mode and a crossbow some how attached to the Steefs arm. The game uses live ammo, a new meaning, where in you must catch your own ammo, such as Fuzzles or Bombats to aid you. The game was seriously hard and it was apparent I wasn't going to finish this in 2 days, so I sunk low and cheated. I think it would have been a good week to finish.

Anyways, what do you all think? This thread came about when I thought of the new XB360 and the next set of Oddworld games that may or may not appear on there.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun May 29, 2005 7:26 pm

Oddworld is a cool series.
unlike most series that contiue ahd have a ongoing world this series doesnt stick you behind the pov of just 1 single character all the time.

after playing a few of the games you really get the feeling that odd world is a HUGE world.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon May 30, 2005 9:32 am

Strangers Warth was a good game i thought, and im not a big fan of the oddworld games but this one acutally hooked me. Very good game
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 30, 2005 3:14 pm

You can't beat;

"Hello"

"whey"

"follow me"

"ok!"

*BOOM*

"Opps"
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue May 31, 2005 8:28 am

fuck off its all about slave driving in Abes

"WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK"

heehehe cant get bored of that
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:01 am

I played the first game ages ago but haven't checked out the sequels. I remember liking it.

I think I read somewhere that the makers of Oddworld are getting out of games, and looking into making different kinds of entertainment. I guess they've retained all of the intellectual property rights to the Oddworld license and they don't think they can keep doing that. So no more Oddworld games, unless I read wrongly.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Unless, they're moving onto Films?

and EA did the last Oddworld game with them...so it figures.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:41 pm

I played this strangers wrath.. i really enjoyed it. took me 2 days though, I found it short, but the game's got excellent replay value. I love those fuzzles too. be settin a trap with like a swarm of 20 or so around, then shoot a squirrel to make the enemy come chargin into it. ah, good times.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:08 am

Shin wrote:Unless, they're moving onto Films?

and EA did the last Oddworld game with them...so it figures.
Here's what I read. I found it linked from Penny Arcade a while back.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/colum...t_id=1000884458

I think Oddworld's creator has some frustration with EA too, so this article might appeal to the folks in this thread who seem to loathe the company.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:51 am

That was a good read.
one more reason to hate ea.
one more reason for me to be scared of the future im looking into.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:21 am

the guy is a pussy.

He explains what the problem is then side steps it completely he's like the kid in the playground that takes his ball home cause bigger guys are playing.

He wants to be a 3rd party independant delevoper, but also want's publishers to pay for his games and then not be pissed off if he leaves for someone else.

Most Dev companies that I know of all see to have like exculsivity rights (or perhaps first refusals deal) with a Publisher, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos is the only one I can think of off the top o' me head.

But I can see his point but tbh, if someone is paying 100% of the bill of the game they are going to see it as 'their' game and if it's a massive success. To have you (as the dev company) make a sequel but offer it to their rivals, which they only gained access to because of the success 'their' game, you can see how that would piss people off.

ohh aye EA = Dickheads
Last edited by Mik on Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:02 pm

Well, to be quite frank. I love the Oddworld series and I'd prefer it to be a game series. They set out to establish a quintology and havn't gotten that far yet. Abe, Munch and Steef. Thats 3.

But also, I love the stories and characters in Oddworld, I'd happily pay to see a film.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:09 pm

i dont think a movie will be all that good. I just dont know, games should be kept in games. Tomb Radier and FF: Sprit within are examples what could happen, i lost most repest for FF and Tomb ... I had no repest for Tomb Radier really but ff shouldnt. Tho the new one seems it could be alot better
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:15 pm

I dont think a movie will be good either.

However the mention of a TV series does sound like it has lots of potetential
with that they could do much more than they could ever do in a movie.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:02 am

Oddworld are like films to me as it is.