scam trend?

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed May 25, 2005 9:00 am

Cell shading toon shading what ever you want to call it. we al know what it is right.

by why the fuck do these game developers try to convince people its somthing new lately

Samura Legend Musashi = promotes its "Manga Shader" as some special and unique feature.

you dickheads just made the outline thicker!

Ultimate Spider-main = claims to have this new "3d inking technology"

You dickheads used the same exact shit on X-men Legends. you didnt call it new then, why try now.

cell shading is cell shading nomatter what you want to promote as you dumbass marketing department sons-a-bitches.

whats next? 3d coloring technology!?

If any varient of cell shading deserves to be promoted as a faeture, its the varient that nobodies used yet that makes the work look like a Rough Sketch. and i doubt any game will do that.
Last edited by kaos on Wed May 25, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed May 25, 2005 11:33 am

I can see that working it'd be very high brow though probably beyond most gamers
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed May 25, 2005 4:19 pm

I figure a game using somthing like that would have do me along the lines of the old Comix zone game. and even then It wouldnt use the shader for too long.
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Wed May 25, 2005 10:20 pm

haha what next? Tri Dimensional Movement Animation? sounds fancy too

btw Comix Zone kicks ass
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed May 25, 2005 10:27 pm

gaming companies have been doing this for years though

it's really no suprise
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed May 25, 2005 10:39 pm

yes it did.

I was thinking about cell shaded and then it got me thinking even futher about why you can still tell that they are 3d models rather than really good 2d animation

so i theorized a solutions

as far as modeling Id say if the model has any curves in those cuves need to appear smooth as hell from all angles. textures on the model should be kept to the bare minium, and things like eyebrows should be seperate meshes all on their own.

ater foling that im pretty sure you can get a model to pass for a cell

which brings me to animation
IMO this is the biggest killer og games that want to emulate the 2d animation looks

your animation should suck, if you want it to look right.

for example. when a character is standing ilde in any 3d video game its perfectly normal to see breathing animations...

but think about that..

you'd almost never see that in a cartoon.

so for starters, cut the breathing animations.

most of the animation should go into the facial features as with any cartoon those are going to be your driving point.

in most 3d games your luck if they decide to animate the face on the player model at all.

any action sequence should should have lots of fluid animation effort put into it action is also a driving force of cartoons. bat at the same time I'd advice against realistic secondary mothin becuase it would have the same effect of having a breathing animation. so just like the cartoons do. I'd suggest using repetitive cycles of secondary motion instead.

lighting...
dont even bother with it

set up a global lighting system that works and leave the rest of the lighting alone.

if you absolutly have to change the way lighting looks I'd suggest making only 3 types of light and all of them still remain global.

the first is for your britest light, the second for normal lights, and the 3 for your darkest.

now in theory all of that combined should limit the constant movement of the shades of colors on the models and in effect you should be able so see somthing could look like a hand painted cell in nearly ever frame.

I think the one issue you might still have is one that you probably cant solve, and thats with the camera moving around a still character.

theory over.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu May 26, 2005 1:40 am

all this trouble to make a 3d character look like a 2d sprite

kinda silly when you think about it

comix zone was cool, but i could never get too far in it.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri May 27, 2005 11:31 pm

who did?

that game was a little tuff.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat May 28, 2005 2:24 pm

i wondered if that was just me

yeah, try damn near impossible

it would be so fun to do a game like that these days, and cell shading makes it pretty easy. Plus with modern hardware, you could have BILLIONS of bitmaps and sprites on the screen with some 3d cell shaded characters

that would be very cool.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat May 28, 2005 3:07 pm

Somthin ive always wanted to see that I was expecting to happen this gerneration was like a super 2d game

I think everybody knows how sprite work in regular 2d games

some thing. only I was hoping that the spitres would be huge in size and smoothly animated.

think about the regular REAL cel animation process of animatiing a character. changing one image for another image in rapid succession.

somthing like the quality of the image of Leon in the wolven/kaos forum skin...but animated in pure 2d.

I was happy and thinkint that with the size of the 2d sprite characters in Guilty Gear XX that it was somthing that we might actually see eventually.

unfortunatly it hasnt happened yet.

However a game like that would take forever to produce. 2-5 years just on the animation alone. about the same time it takes to make a real cel shaded cartoon
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Sun May 29, 2005 12:13 am

teh good old days when jet set radio was cool B)

its like when Microsoft claimed to have the first online console when Saga did it years before :mellow:

Makes me sick :)

nah, it doesnt really ;)
Last edited by Wulf on Sun May 29, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun May 29, 2005 12:50 am

i think the impication was that the xbox was designed for online play, where as sega's 'online' was more of an add on then a standard feature

that's how i always understood it anyway

when was jet set radio cool? i must have missed that
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Sun May 29, 2005 12:54 am

it was sooo coool :P B)

yeah.. the thing was microsoft said they were the first console with online access <_< but the werent :mellow: and DC's online wasnt a add on. It was a standard feature..

i dunno, maybe my mind implants arent technically advanced enough to understand the subject. Image
Last edited by Wulf on Sun May 29, 2005 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun May 29, 2005 1:03 am

I want to say while it could go online it wasnt built for onling gaming, most just surfing and downloading conent (ei game saves to your memory card)

then again...theirs that whole thing with Phantasy star online. which had onling play.
and i think a few others did.

but at the same time games with online play for the DC were totally up to the developer to figurout how to get everyone connected

So it was nothing like Xbox's unified Live system.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun May 29, 2005 1:06 am

well it depends if they were talking about hardware or software then

and i believe it was the first Broadband internet ready system