Id Say thats a match!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu May 19, 2005 5:26 pm

I just saw the trailer for Mistwalkers X360 rpg Lost Odessy.
http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/19...3-2005-Trailer/

From that I'd say it goes toe 2 toe with Final Fantasy, even down right to the girly looking male hero.

ITs almost scary how it still looks like a square production even tho only a handfull (if that) of square employees carried over.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu May 19, 2005 6:00 pm

it'd say it's better then a match when compared to the recent FF stuff

i'm still not and never will be a fan of the 'girly man' look
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu May 19, 2005 6:14 pm

Nor I. but as long as they keep making them I guess we dont have much of a choice.

This little bit I found was cool tho.

Players control Kaim who has been sentenced to live for a thousand years. You will play through his life that spans through many generations. Sakaguchi, the games creator, says he wants to take this idea of a character living for so long and do many new things in the RPG genre. From what we have been told, this will include a completely different story from the standard Japanese RPG. The focus here is going to be on an emotional story that will see Kaim love, lose love, get involved in serious conflicts, and have to deal with having such a long life. Lost Odyssey’s story will be so intense that Sakaguchi claims that we will all cry when playing the game.

I dunno about that crying part.
but the rest of its sounds like a killer and not so typical concept.
I like the bit about him finding love, then loosing it. yay for that.
Last edited by kaos on Thu May 19, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu May 19, 2005 6:19 pm

This sounds good. RPGs usually span a relatively short time period. Sometimes they have flashbacks to the past but not usually in much detail and they often aren't playable. With this, it sounds like you become much more engrossed in the player's character, almost like you're reading some autobiography.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu May 19, 2005 6:23 pm

yeah I was trying to think up how to say it, that works out. Being able to play all the history and experience it first hand is going to rock.

*starts singing Highlander themesong*

1000 years is a long time.
I hope the story is effected by the inventions and discoveries of new things that can interact with.

I also hope that you can revist areas youve been to in the past and see new incarnations of them

all that im hoping for is really common sense stuff. but it'll make a huge impact on the game I think.

imagine living to see a time were transportation was left up to you and trained animals, and then living to see the invention of the automobile then the airplane....then warp 9 engines.

or somthing simple like the spork.
Last edited by kaos on Thu May 19, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu May 19, 2005 10:32 pm

It's one of the things I really liked about Chrono Trigger, only this will do it better.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu May 19, 2005 11:16 pm

I think there also doing FFXI for the x-box 360. Hmm not a big fan of them all but i will try this Lost Odessy out
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu May 19, 2005 11:40 pm

I've played FF11. I cant saw that the game is such a big deal at all. It's not crap....but I dont think it would have much influence in system purchasing.

But maybe its a gateway game.. a first step....maybe squareenix will do more
doubt it.

but then as long as Mistwalker keeps up what its doing I dont care.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri May 20, 2005 2:38 am

they should have called the game 'Final Odyssey'

then the could have millions of sequils and spinoffs

like Final Odyssey Tactics
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri May 20, 2005 2:55 am

Hehehe I was thinking the same sans the name adjustment.

But im betting that a series will come later.
unless theirs a lost odessy two

then again.
making a series might be somthing sakaguchi could want to get away from. as it looks square all but fired him before he left. so the last few FF titles are bastard titles, and any future ones too.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue May 08, 2007 12:57 am

the Sak speaks...

and gives of some game details....
and i know less about it now than I did before.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed May 09, 2007 5:02 pm

I've never cried whilst playing a video game .. well except FPS's sometimes cause I haven't blinked in several minutes.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed May 09, 2007 8:12 pm

Yeah, this is at least the second time I've heard that a Japanese developer wanted to make a game that made people cry.

I don't think thats a very realistic goal unless you specifically market the game to children (which isn't likely for an n rpg) or you market to women as some sort of romantic type of game.

but if they can pull it off. more power to them.
they're going to have to have to have a VERY detailed story fully fleshed out characters and find a way to make the player more than a omniscient observer.

I haven't used that word since highschool.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Wed May 09, 2007 10:51 pm

This game already makes me want to cry. After seeing the demo at E3 (I think it was E3) it looks like just another run of the mill RPG battle system with some sort of "new concept" as far as storytelling goes. Hooray for that I guess. I just hope he EVENTUALLY puts out another masterpiece like Chrono Cross. That would actually get me excited.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed May 09, 2007 11:04 pm

i agree battle system looked pretty standard gay.

but I think I read somewhere that they'd hacked it together for e3 and that it would not be the same system in the final game.

of course that sounds like complete bullshit. and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was exactly that system when it shipped.

but I'm keeping hope alive...

Is it too much to ask for an rpg battle system thats pretty much Ninja Gaiden in a medium sized room?