Guild wars

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:39 pm

Bogey wrote:And yeah, thief/rogue classes are always the most popular class in this type of game. I however love using bows and having creature companions, so the ranger looks good for me.
They are?

I rarely run into another thief / rogue in most of the games i play, although i've only just gotten into NWN and i haven't played it online yet

Still though, with most games, it seems people would rather grab a big ass sword and start carving things up, rather then sneak around and stab.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:47 pm

Having an instanced field does has it's ups as well as it's downs, I realise that. But to me there are are more positive things about it. I'll agree that it sometimes doesn't feel like a mmo, but the storyline, missions, and quests are the quality of a single player game.

Just thought I better give a sensible review with my last couple of posts. Some of the stuff DS said was either misleading or untrue.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:23 am

Yeah, he's full of shit .. we all know that.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:11 pm

yeah, i quite like guild wars, was into ffXI a while ago and that 16 dollars a month? what did that pay for? like for instance nothing seemed to change much. maybe i had too much expectations for ffXI, but guild wars is free per month. which is what i'm looking for.
Scorn
Whelp

Post by Scorn » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:58 am

Actually there was never been a more causal, friendly for all FREE MMO i've ever played. Its gets lots of points for orginality with the PVP and role play characters. Since i don't have the patient to role play i just kill ppl when i want to :D

And travel time dosn't really exsist...not like FFXI ><
Psyche
Alive

Post by Psyche » Wed May 16, 2007 1:57 pm

I joined it, and I really like it. Only bought it last week, and I have to say it's awesome. They managed to stay well away from the pitfalls I found WoW had - I really don't like WoW xD But Guild Wars has well impressed me.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Goaty just wants to be a rogue in real life.

Anyway, I love the Elementalists. Have you seen the women elementalists dance in their lingerie? Fucking hell! I can't get on GuildWars atm coz it's fucked. But my character is called Jocasta_Lotus. Or if Edward deleted it then it's Abrasax_Drake.

To be honest I hate WoW. And seriously, I am not the odd few who DO hate it. Ed and Jez are hardcore MMORPG gamers, whereas I stick to my guns and shit...seriously! Goaty when I get Xboz live you'd better be prepared for a can off whoop ass on Halo :P
Last edited by Squirrel on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:17 am

WoW has faults, it's actually directed mainly at what Brad 'The Vision but no balls&#153;' McQuaid called the 'core' gamer, some that would play every day or so, see some of the end game but not be the 5%(can't remember actually numbers) or so that, burn content and sit in End-game raiding (aka the 'Hardcore').

No Hardcore gamer will EVER be satisified by an MMO hell they bitched back when EQ1 was king, they'll bitch today that no game is hard enough, that there are too many newbs with more stuff than they reckon they deserve. They'll never be satisfied with any game that is tailor made to be exclusive to everyone who isn't prepared to dedicate the majority of their time to the game.

Problem is nobody really want's to play a game that's that difficult all the time (some of their crazy ideas are like, free for all PVP, permadeath, lootable players etc) all in all not bad but open to abuse by their nature. The game wouldn't make money.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:20 am

Yea i like the idea of free for all pvp, permdeath and lootable players but like u say. Who would play. Noobs wouldnt find get a chance really. Am more a swg pre cu man myself ... ofc it will never come back offically so am stuck with wow ... i tried GWs but i hate it ... love the classes but hate guildwars .... dont ask why cause i cant answer cause i dont know why.

Wow just isnt that great, when swg came i was up till the servers closed for maintane to get some grinding in. Then the cu came and it went shit but started slowly getting better. Yea I was a TK master and pikeman and couldnt wear my kick ass armour which i spent my whole savings of 2 mill on but hey its fun. Then BANG!!! another massive cu changed then BANG again NGE or something AHHHH WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASSES its like playin future wow a cheap ripp off of wow ... fuck look at all the jedi's and bounty hunters runnning around ... when the cu came out the jedi and bounty hunter population pretty much doubled actually it great by 5 times than it was cause it was easy but now u can start as a jedi ... christ every single kid was a jedi ... AHHH wtf happened to the 2 best classes TK and pike NOOOOOOOOOOOOO there gone whats now NNOOOOOOO some jedi is asking if i wanna group ... and where the fuck is Fort storm ..... what they packed up and left ...... its a 10 min drive to my house!!! oh shit

ps sorry for the rant
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:13 am

I remember a lot of hate going John Smedley's way during that time in SWG.

In shear theory terms there is nothing wrong with any of the ideas I mentioned, just have to be restricted. EQ1 had Free for all PvP and lootable bodies (1 item from inventory I believe, can't quite recall). Permadeath sounds wonderful till you die, it requires and incrediable amount of risk vs. reward system.

It would be IMPOSSIBLE to do any 'end-game' raiding on such a server also. High end encounters require co-ordination, postioning, adaptive responses and mostly importantly practise. If your Tank dies in the first try you have to get a new one, it's gonna take him a while to relevel a new char. Whilst I don't see a problem with it, it would require a certain amount of tuning and get-out clauses, for example short term resurrection maybe a 20minute bleed out time or something (can you imagine how fucking boring that would be).

I think, the one thing you learn as you play these games is that you and 100,000 to 8million other people are playing, and you can't please all those people and some stage you will get screwed by a 'balance'. You can't please everyone but you can try I guess.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:45 pm

To me it's not about the classes on Guild Wars. I don't give a flying fuck what class I play. I love playing different classes and races. It's not even about the subsricption being free. It's the game play. I prefer it to WoW, I even prefer it to Lineage II. I have never get bored on GW. Then again I know it's personal preference at the end of the day. But WoW just annoys me coz basically it's boring! I don't care if the graphics are better. Whoop de fucking do! I don't want to pay for something that I have to update constantly, and, to be honest, is just pretty much over-rated.
Last edited by Squirrel on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:47 am

Actually WoW's graphics are poor in comparison to Eq2, Vanguard and a few others, they at no point focused on gfx, it's 'cartoony' on purpose.

People like what they like and I agree it is personal preferance. I don't go after Guild Wars (unless provoked) heck I liked the sound of it pre-release and I don't mind or am suprised that it has a user base. But I kinda get annoyed when people make silly claims or trash talk the elephant in the room (in Gen2 in WoW, in Gen1 Everquest) just cause they feel they have to convince themselves and others that they made the right choice.

'I don't want to pay for something I have to update constantly'

So you don't own software of any kind ? anitVirus ? I'm pretty sure you had to use a browwer to access this page, they update.

:P

Tbh, they only patch every few weeks (~2 months lately) these contain anything from bug fixes to class 'balance' and what they seem to be focusing on more lately content. Free content at that, tbh I thought their expansion (2 years- 3years from release) program bordered on sucidal when general rule of thumb (until that point) dictated that the life cycle of the game requires atleast 1 per year. Consider this pre Burning Crusade this game had no end game rading planned.

Molten Core
Blackwing Lair
Zul'Gurub
Ahn'Quarji 20/40man instances and it's opening event (server wide event)
Naxraamas and it's opening event (server wide)

Warsong Gultch (10man battleground)
Alterac Valley (40man battleground)
Arathi Highlands (15 man battleground)

We're all added post release and for 'free' I'll take my update every few weeks if it's all the came to you.
Last edited by Mik on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:47 am

The most annoyin thing about Guildwars for me is the world is an instance, only in towns u can meet new ppl. But once u leave that town u wont see anyone unless in the group. I dont know if this is still the case but if it still is. I just dont like the idea. I dont play online games to be safe. I play online games to meet others and have that feeling i could be killed nearly most the time. And wow did that for me and kinda so did SWGs.

But in guildwars i dont think thats possible? Is it? am not sure? But if the world is an instance i cant see how.

I like when am out grinding if i see someone i can help out or ask for help. I like the feeling that am not playin a game which hooks up to the net but theres no one to see unless i have to go cities. But as Mik said everyone has there own opinions and that for me is what a mmo is all about ... pretty much seeing others pretty much everywhere. Never to sure if u can make it through an area without gettin ganked. I love pvp and to me wow offers it better than most games i've played if i want to play a game like GWs where i have to be in groups to grind and kill shit ... i go and play Halo XD

But everyone has there own opinions XD
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:43 am

The original idea for the instanced 'world' was very interesting to me, it is a very good idea and it works for what they where trying to do. The main reason is cause that's the only feasible way some of their ideas can work, for example, if you do a quest to destroy a bridge in a zone, it will always be destroyed. And if your in a party with people , and they haven't blown it up, the bridge will still be gone, because you have.

Which is marvellous and is oft mentioned by players, that they want to affect the world as a wholem that their efforts make an actual difference, they can leave their mark. As apposed to the norm, in a static world, where the bridge is on a timer so other people can blow it up.

There are a couple of genuinely great attempts to re-invent the wheel but I don't think they actually do, infact the game almost doesn't qualify for the 'Massive' part of MMO alot of time. It's not for me but then again diablo bored me to tears and it very much in the mold of that game (same devs)
Last edited by Mik on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:15 am

Yea i guess ur right i do hate the static world. But i love the running in to randoms and pvp. lol