Could everyone make their way towards the exit...

Information, problems and conversation on anything and everything to do with Aura and these here boards.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Don't be alarmed but today, I discovered that the server's hard drive, or possibly the IDE controller, may be dying. I highly suspect the recent lightning storm that Jersey had because that's when it started playing up. It's crashed a few times, sometimes it seems to momentarily pause for no reason and there are onimous IDE-related error messages in the kernel log. Given that the machine's been running almost constantly for the past four years, it's had a good run. This is actually the second time it's been struck by lightning and (just about) lived to tell the tale. It does have a surge plug fitted but they're not perfect. I'll look into getting a UPS. If it is just the hard drive, that could be replaced but we've been talking about replacing the whole machine for a little while anyway. It's still powerful enough but it's physically quite a bulky piece of kit and uses quite a lot of energy. As I type, we're looking to replace it with one of these.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11881
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11663

1.5Ghz might not seem like much but it's faster than the 1.1Ghz Athlon XP we currently have, plus the compact size and 25W power consumption would be great.

Anyway, I better start backing this shit up now...
Last edited by Chewi on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 pm

for some reasona ll I could think of while reading this was Jase and Wheeled Warriors.

'LIGHTINING STRIKES'

I think there is an evil plot, to disable us, some fiendish evil proffesor type is totally trying use a weather machine doomsday device.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:09 pm

I'll build ya a server!!!!!!! I'll make it uber!
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Well it's all backed up now. I'll probably update the backup before copying to the new server so that any new posts from now won't be lost.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:02 pm

1.5 seems really shitty. But, we're not doing anything strenuous and it's not running XP. Aside fomr that fact that this si James we're talking about, we know it's not XP because it's been running for four years.

I'm almost certian you could get those parts, or similar, for much cheaper than £50.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:04 pm

Also, exactly how does is that processor carbon free? Should I be suffocating right now?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:09 pm

I don't really buy the term "carbon free" but it's fucking low-powered anyway. I wasn't looking for a low-powered machine in particular, just a small one, but my expert in small machines pointed me to this.

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8508116370.html

I would normally want more horsepower for a server but I know I don't really need it since 1.1 really has been enough for this machine. Ever since I stripped out all the graphical stuff from the installation, I've been able to do really big upgrades overnight, which isn't long at all in Gentoo terms.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:34 am

basicly for a web server u dont need a lot of power especially for a site like this. Theres nothin major need. We use to run web servers on 800mhz machines at college which could deal with alot. Nothin major but forum wise it did bloody good
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Richard took a look inside the server today and told me that the power supply fan had stopped working. I had forgotten that when we first switched it on after the storm, the fan was making a funny noise. The new server might take a few days to arrive and he doesn't want to risk his e-mail going down in the meantime so I think he's going to try replacing the power supply for now. I'm surprised the thing didn't blow up already. :huh:
Last edited by Chewi on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.