foreign people

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:55 pm

so i'm at pizza hut in my home town, which mind you is in upstate New York near albany, when i hear some people talking behind me in some foreign language

now i'm trying to place it, it sounds like some strange combination of arabic and german. so i'm sitting there thinking when i see one of 'em get up to go to the bathroom or something

the dude was white

so obviously we're not talking about middle easterns here, not native anyway.

after a while i figured it out, they were Russian

well as they were talking a family of 7 Indian (real Indian, not American Indian) came in and sat down.

now the weird part, as they were eating ANOTHER group of 4 or 5 people come in speaking, you guessed it Russian

what the hell are so many Russian people doing in upstate NY? Amsterdam is hardly a tourist town, i don't think there's any Russian families around here.

just weirdness.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:54 pm

heh i thought this topic was gonna be all xenophobic and all.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:43 pm

My ex is a Russian living in NY. White Plains. Her whole family is up there. She once took me to Brighton Beach, which is like "Little Russia". It was really weird but very cool. Everyone was speaking Russian. There were even these Asian people in the restaurants and they spoke Russian too.

Really though, it's New York, probably one of the most culturally diverse areas in the world, do you really find it that surprising?
Last edited by Chewi on Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:14 pm

Australia is a "melting pot" of cultures.

I'm used to english not being the only language spoken in some area's.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:31 pm

When I was in France, I think I learnt more about Arabic culture than French.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:58 pm

London is a hotspot for foriegn people. Wherever you go there's people from Eastern Europe. It doesn't phase me or even bother me. Lonodn actually makes a good profit from foriegners, Plus these people get bonuses too. They come over here because the wage they get is better than back in their country.

I am sure some of you have heard about the Morcambe Bay murders that occured. There are cockel pickers there but alot of it is illegal. After that incident police are tracking down illegal cockel pickers.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:21 am

Chewi wrote:Really though, it's New York, probably one of the most culturally diverse areas in the world, do you really find it that surprising?
outside of NYC in a very small city that's mostly puerto-rican? hell yeah

and london i would definatly expect, i mean once you hit europe you're in one big ass pile of cultural stew
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:03 pm

I was thinking, how many people actually actually eat cockels and the smaller cousins willicks (sp?)? I can think of only one, and that's my lil bro, Frankly I find eating rubber to be the same sort of taste, rubber that's been stored in brine.

Belfast has really taken off in recently years, the amount of I don't like the term but what else can I say 'foreign' people is really quiet cool. Though I released I gotta be one of the least rasict people in Northern Ireland.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:43 pm

Yea St Andrews is fulled with Americans and Asians all b/c of the golf and the Uni there. But I wouldnt say the UK is such a great place to move from, I remember readin in the news that UK rescived a shit load of Asylum Seekers, but 60% returned back to there own country just b/c with all the tax and shit they have to pay it wasnt worth staying
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:48 pm

around here we have somewhat a diverse area... bunch of cubans, redneck southern white people, african american rednecks, the old folks, and other misc. europeans ( mostly bosnian-croatian / french / russian ). People are most certainley odd, my friend artur (russian) was complaining that the girls around here look like horses; all ass.