So, what's everyone up to?

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Matt
Noble Warrior

So, what's everyone up to?

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:06 pm

What's going on with everyone these days?

I'm still in good old Yorkshire. I left University in 2015, but I didn't graduate. Funds were difficult to obtain to stay afloat. I quit, took my grades (I could theoretically go back and finish my final year) and got a job.

Currently working for a UK academic publisher as a "frontend developer" even though it's a PHP job. I've spent the better part of a year writing Javascript (VueJS) and just started to worm my way into the Java ("backend") of things.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: So, what's everyone up to?

Post by Chewi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:46 pm

You did the important bit, that's what really counts to most employers. Hell, only one employer ever asked for my degree certificate.

I'm real proud of you anyhow, man. You've come a long way.

As for me, I'm at Metaswitch, which is a veeery big change from all the small startups and otherwise tiny places I've worked in the past. Some 800 employees worldwide and that makes for a very different culture. Honestly, I'm really loving it. I was brought on to do Ruby, and C++ to a lesser extent, and I have done some of that but also a lot of other things too. Most recently, I've been writing Rust, which is still quite niche and excellent because I've wanted to learn that for years.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 am

Chewi wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:46 pm You did the important bit, that's what really counts to most employers. Hell, only one employer ever asked for my degree certificate.

As for me, I'm at Metaswitch, which is a veeery big change from all the small startups and otherwise tiny places I've worked in the past. Some 800 employees worldwide and that makes for a very different culture. Honestly, I'm really loving it. I was brought on to do Ruby, and C++ to a lesser extent, and I have done some of that but also a lot of other things too. Most recently, I've been writing Rust, which is still quite niche and excellent because I've wanted to learn that for years.
Very nice!

Yeah it makes a difference working at a bigger place. Bit easier to get lost in the crowd (if that's your thing). When I was in Leeds I was at a smaller digital agency. roughly 20-30 employees, including the MD. I've sworn off working at agencies again, though. You never get to finish the work to a point you're happy with it. Either the money runs out, or the account manager is thinking of their bonus and cuts the work shorter than I'd've liked. Before I left I was working on this thing for Microsoft's Xbox division and I was putting maybe 50 hours in a week to get it to a standard I was happy with. The client loved what we made, but it was still unfinished and rough around the edges.

Emerald are a fairly big company. I think maybe 300 employees onsite and more worldwide. Really great company to work for.

Only one place asked about my degree and didn't want me, after that it's more 4-5 years relevant experience? You're hired. Jo was realllly worried when I said I was quitting University, but I'd landed a job within a fortnight which was a huge relief.

I've never heard of either Metaswitch or Rust!
Couldn't have gotten where I am without your help all these years ago :)
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm a man of many hats and not enough brains to wear half o' them but muddling through best I can, fighting the good fight against Bezos, whilst also lining his pockets :D.