Where are they now ?

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Where are they now ?

Post by Mik » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Since Matt is a gimp and got me trolling around the Aura archives, I was happily reading away and then I got hit by a sad thought 'holyshit, what ever happened to all these people' and since they'll probably never come back to tell us. I'll just use my Internet stalker skills, which we will now establish in the following documents are TOTES STRONK, YA'LL.

I'll do one of these a week maybe, (probably not post ever again) feel free to add your own, if this gets really creepy I will have to stop it, but since it's aura, no-one will ever know, so on second thoughts ... CREEPY INC.

Kaos

'member him ?

Here he is Circa 2012, this ex-poster was well known as a game designer from Atlantis, that mystkal island that Aquaman founded in 1964... ooh wait ... Atlanta, Georgia eh? my bad. Still, that's pretty close, close enough that I'm not even going to bother wiki'ing when Atlanta was founded, it was 1964 by Aquaman.

Anywho, he was last seen way back in 15 Sep 2013 05:57 am, we can only assume that he's been kidnapped and Liam Nesson couldn't be arsed to go save someone who isn't related to him ... what a cunt.

Luckly, I'm on the case and I have the internet at my disposable, I can find him....

So, His signature lists a blogspot, restricted, I'm not a registered user and I must contact blog owner, 1. I'm hurt, 2. He's missing, can't talk to him. It is disheartening turns, like this one, that has been know to derail the amateur and occasionally even world renowned investigators, but fear not, I am no lightweight, I can do this. For every door that closes, 15 doors are made, shipped and delivered for self assembled opening, thank you Amazon Prime (sponsored by Amazon).

So, next I found an image he posted that doesn't work anymore, Shazam! snip the URL down, try the webpage and see what's up ... FOUND HIM!!! he's ALIVE!.

He is now an award winning DJ in the Pittsburgh area

wow time has been harsh to him, what a difference a year makes, eh ? Well, whilst he may be lost to us, it's nice that he's still out there, doing his thing, dancing amongst the starts, Seyla
Matt
Noble Warrior

Re: Where are they now ?

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Holy shit, he's looking pale. I hope he's not ill? I'm happy that he's found a medium in which he can express himself, however. That videogame thing doesn't work out for everyone. White DJ guy suits him well.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Pretty sure it's just a reflection of the t-shirt, dj'ing is a sweaty business.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm actually in the reflection of that DJ's glasses.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:18 pm

HE LIVES!!! my internet stalking skills work a treat, again.

I expect my Nobel peace prize is in the mail, as we speak.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:49 pm

You can thank me actually. I grabbed him on Google Talk. :P
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:46 pm

google talk ? is this some Google+ thing, it's never happening, stahp trying to make it happen google!!
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Google Talk has been around for donkey's years. They're actually half way to chucking it in the bin since launching Google Hangouts, which is more closely linked with Google+. I like Google Talk because it uses XMPP (Jabber) so you can chat to Google Talk users, even through your own completely separate XMPP server. This is how IM should be, not reliant on one single entity. I was trying to move my contacts towards this in order to ditch MSN. Unfortunately many went to Skype instead. Then we were dealt a double blow when Google introduced Hangouts, which doesn't use XMPP. It feels like a step backwards. I'm not sure what I'll do if Google drops Talk altogether.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Yeah, I use Skype mostly these days, but I only just noticed for some reason even though my accounts are linked on my mac I can't see any of the msn contacts online, I'm sure they've messaged me while I've been on there but I couldn't check earlier, on windows it's fine.

I can't remember what I used on Linux when I still used it, but I recall preferring it to skype, but you try telling my Dota crew to use a decent VOIP program like mummble.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm on Google Talk/Hangouts all the time. AFAIK, they're not dropping Talk anytime soon, since Hangouts and talk are pretty much one and the same at the moment.

I'll PM you my address, James.

EDIT:

Nevermind, used my own powers of stalkduction and found you. Going to ask you loads of really awkward Linux questions again. It'll be like old times. Stuff like "do I really need my /dev/block/ files? They're just taking up space, imma delete them" and so forth.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Ohh I like this is game, do you really need this kernel thing ? I don't even like corn.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:30 am

I remember one time somehow talking with him on MSN trying to get him to help me get SuSe working when there was clearly (in hindsight - thanks Captain Hindsight!) no network drivers for the network card.

James, you're a saint. How you didn't tell me to fuck off umpteen times I don't know. Maybe you did and I've mentally blocked those moments out. :lol:

EDIT:

I also claim responsibility/blame for his meeting Marna, but I'm not entirely sure how much truth there is in that at all. I remember the first night you guys met :shock:
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Not sure about your Skype/MSN thing, Mik, but I wonder if it's related to the MSN shutdown. It was supposed to shut down in April. My account worked for ages after that. I kept signing in just so I could see it die but I wonder if that's what kept it alive because it didn't kick the bucket until I was forced offline for a while due to moving house.

The most popular IM program on Linux is Pidgin. There's also Empathy and Kopete. They're all pretty good. I used to run a plugin that integrated Skype into Pidgin but you needed to have Skype running in the background. I'd prefer to have something working at the XMPP level. Similar things exist for MSN/AIM/ICQ but I haven't found anything solid for Skype.

Don't know what address you found or where you found it, Matt, but I haven't seen any contact request from you. My address, funnily enough, is chewi@aura-online.co.uk, and you wouldn't have needed to look far. It's on my profile right here. :P As the address implies, I run my own XMPP server right here on the same machine as the forum.

I think I'VE mentally blocked out that conversation, I don't remember it at all! :lol: As it happens, I am now a part time SUSE user. I run openSUSE on my netbook and it's also what Marna uses.

And yes, I do blame you! But I also apologise for our behaviour that night. I don't either of us are particularly proud of it. :oops:
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Ha, no need to apologise! At least someone had fun that night ;)

And I did send you a message. I popped your address into Hangouts and it pulled up your birthname, but apparently you're not on hangouts right now and will see my message later.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:17 am

It won't work with Hangouts, that's precisely the problem. Even though you have other Google Talk contacts there, Google doesn't do XMPP federation, meaning it doesn't pass on messages to other XMPP servers. You need to use Google Talk itself via gmail, their old client, or some other XMPP client.