LONG LIVE AURA!

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

LONG LIVE AURA!

Post by Shane » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 pm

I know I'm not one of just few active persons on here, nor am I the most eloquent but This is getting depressing seei'ng this place so inactive. It's picking up a wee bit but we can fix this. Also, uh.. I get back from my deployment (which ought to be here in a few days) I'm going to be working on a new theme set and banner and whatnot.

If you have Ideas on what can be done about this or just want to have your presence known that you are still active (or atleast somewhat i suppose) then please say something!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Re: LONG LIVE AURA!

Post by kaos » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 pm

I think it'd take more than a new forum theme.
It would probably mean the site as a whole would need to change focus and have an actual staff to operate it.
you know...
The weekly or daily update sorta thing...original content and stuff.

Something interesting, but nothing over-tired like Final Fantasy (which really isn't worth covering now a days anyway.) and nothing as broad as games in general.
it would have to be somthing you can pretty much only get here.

but honestly..
Im kinda fine with it as it is.
new people new problems.

I sound like a horror movie that starts in a strange small town.

you know the type....every single person in town goes to church on Sunday, cause the whole damn town is really a big cult.

cept for the cute chick....
but only cuzz she doesn't wanna be the next sacrifice.
she was fine with it till she found out she won the lottery.
Narren7
Solider

Post by Narren7 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Hmm you know I think I've seen that exact plot in a movie once.. *scratches head*
Damned if I can remember the title though :?: :?

Anyhow Aura is much like a rubber ball.
We've all pretty much accepted that :lol:
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:55 am

yeaah but eventually you let a rubber ball drop and bounce around it'll keep bouncing but eventually stop. We need to be a steel-titanium alloy ball that plows right through the floor! :D

oh and uh. I just wanted to do a theme mainly cause I've seen this one enough and want to look at something else shiny when I visit, and I'm not really too worried or into having newbies come in and raid the place. I'd just atleast like our folks to visit a bit more often if anything.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 am

The last few weeks have been encouraging but it's still not exactly what you would call active. We dropped the Final Fanstasy bit because no one really cared any more. Since then, it's really been a hang out for people who used to play Final Fantasy plus some other randoms.

At one point, I tried to shift the focus towards creativity, art, writing, music, that sort of thing, but I got caught up in the coding when I should have just used some existing software. I don't think that would work now.

Then we had the game development phase. That was exciting and something many of us could get have got involved with but it fizzled out because I didn't realise how much coding effort is required to make a decent game these days. Maybe I set my sights too high in trying to use an open-ended graphics engine instead of a whole game engine but I wanted something I could call my own. I think I have the skill but ultimately lack the time. We all have lives now. Only that lucky bastard, Johnny, gets to do this for a living.

I do like how we've all clung together through the years, even outside of Aura. That community spirit is still there but unfortunately the likes of Facebook means that it's all too easy for us to talk to each other without having to head over here.

I'm not sure what to do now. Attracting new blood is difficult. "So what's this place about then?" Uuh. Too many noobs would dilute the place with people who just don't get it. I would appreciate a new theme though. I think we need to go back to our blue/purple roots. :D We only ended up with this theme because I didn't like any others that were available at the time and I hate making them myself.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:49 am

Lucky bastard hasn't been lucky for two months. I might have to go into animation if I want to survive.

Anyway...
AuraBook

nah...
Thiers somthing about having topics that you just don't get anywhere else but a forum.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:18 am

I should add that the Atom feed has made a huge difference for me. Since I host Aura on this very machine, it doesn't hurt my bandwidth to have it check for new posts every 2 minutes. That's why I'm much quicker at responding now.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:39 am

yeah. The Atom feature works out pretty nice.
I think everyone responds quicker now. I know I do.

Maybe a more mobile friendly theme to match?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm Phoning it in nearly as much as I visit via desktop.
If I'm not the only one, then it might be something to consider.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:56 am

I read posts using an RSS Reader on my phone but I usually wait till I'm at a machine before replying. Not always though. Opera Mini is excellent at rendering sites accurately while still making them usable on a small screen. Try it (or Opera Mobile if your phone is capable), I highly recommend it. I thought phpBB had a "lite mode" but maybe that was IPB because I can't find it now.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Ive been meant to try out opera mini last week. completely forgot.
all set now.
Narren7
Solider

Post by Narren7 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm happy to see people drift back in, hopefully more old faces will pop up for a visit and stay sometime.
Maybe prodding them viz MSN would work. Me? I check here quite a bit, but half the time don't have much to say.
Or I'm to busy pestering Dave on the phone or Steph.
I chat with folks on Skype a lot too, I love Skype. I've gotten quite lazy with posting or even text chatting..
I mean shoot I can fiddle with graphics AND talk with out ever leaving my art program window whats not to love? :lol:

Dave will prolly start posting more once he gets the time.
He's going though the CSX railway training classes down in Atlanta atm.
But he's doing really well and has a good overall test score to boot. (Huzzah!)
So he's a bit preoccupied. Now that I think of it I need to make him a new banner set..
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:47 pm

I had already intended on creating a whole new theme set set up for a mobile environment since most of the time i'm browsing the web, it's on my phone when i'm at work. It really already loads pretty quickly but often times the browser cant handle interpreting the output code from the forum, so i'll run a more condensed version but i'm still shaky as to how to link it in as another theme set.

-if anything on that I could probably have the entire mini set created and zipped up with the right links associated and whatnot for the php coding and just have it as a side-website like maybe mini.aura-online.co.uk or sommat; that wouldn't be too hard.

I agree crys', it's great to see more activity! :D

[[[ I am also going to swap around in the post.php file the save & submit buttons. I click save EVERY TIME...]]]
Stephanie
Solider

Post by Stephanie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:31 am

[[[ I am also going to swap around in the post.php file the save & submit buttons. I click save EVERY TIME...]]]
Ditto. Flipping them around would be awesome haha.

As for stopping by, I come by everyday. Buuut...not much to say. LOL! My life doesn't really hardly change, and I highly doubt ya'll want to here my ranting about idiot parents who don't know how to control their kids, or kids who scream at the top of their lungs for hours, or even how about getting punched in the face by a two year old because he didn't want to hold a teddy bear, instead he wanted to crawl off the table....so yeah. My life is the same daily. Go to work, take pictures, come home, surf web, go to sleep. lol. Throw some time with eric in there on some of the days, and that's about it.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 am

Shane wrote:I had already intended on creating a whole new theme set set up for a mobile environment since most of the time i'm browsing the web, it's on my phone when i'm at work. It really already loads pretty quickly but often times the browser cant handle interpreting the output code from the forum, so i'll run a more condensed version but i'm still shaky as to how to link it in as another theme set.
What phone do you have? Like I said above, Opera Mini will handle pretty much anything you throw at it. It's actually based on the same code as the desktop version. On some networks, you can also use Opera Turbo, which compresses everything, saving you time and bandwidth... I should work for Opera. :lol: If Opera doesn't work out, there are probably some phone-based themes around that you could use as a base.
Shane wrote:[[[ I am also going to swap around in the post.php file the save & submit buttons. I click save EVERY TIME...]]]
Well it never bothered me, I'll probably get confused now! Don't really mind though.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 pm

yeahh that save/submit thing always got me. haha. I tried getting an opera browser for my phone but the palm os isn't compatible. =/ It doesn't matter, it's a piece of shit anyway & i'm getting a different one.