U.S. Route 66? What's The Draw?

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Akrid
Solider

U.S. Route 66? What's The Draw?

Post by Akrid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:58 am

Over the past few years here in Oklahoma, USA, I have seen a growing number of European tourists during the summer months who usually ride their motorcycles on a stretch of road called "Route 66" here in the U.S. Italians, Swedes, Norwegians, Scandinavians, Germans, and even Japanese tourists I have seen through here. Seeing as how a lot of users here are from European countries, I was just wondering if maybe someone could indulge some insight on why the hell someone would travel all the way over here, just to drive a long ass road that is just a remnant of it's former glory. Even if you live here in the states and have an explanation, it would be interesting.

For those who may not know what the hell Route 66 is, its a single stretch of road here in America that spans from Chicago, Illinois, to Los Angeles, California. It's over 2,400 miles, or 3,900 km in length and runs through 8 U.S. states, including Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Re: U.S. Route 66? What's The Draw?

Post by kaos » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:10 am

its got its own song?

i like to pretend its route 666 sometimes.

I've also heard that Europeans were fascinated with cowboys and the old west.
I wonder if that helped Red Dead Redemption sell as well as it there.

yeah EuroNation whats up?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: U.S. Route 66? What's The Draw?

Post by Chewi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:16 am

It's probably because we simply don't have that kind of landscape around here. It doesn't really appeal to me but maybe it does to bikers. Not that there aren't good places to ride across Europe but in the more remote areas, the road quality can be treacherous. You should see the documentary Long Way Round where Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman ride around the world. It's quite entertaining.